Leveling speed is creating inexperienced max levels and leading to content nerfs as well as toxic endgame

I would instead use a boost to learn a new spec. Accessing all talent points and immersing oneself into training dummies/lfr for practice would be much faster.

As a new player brought to the game by friends, leveling was a bad idea. They should have just immediately thrown my boosted self to the training dummies. It would have been much less suffering for everyone involved. :joy:

If they were capable of making leveling, “FUN” then I’m sure a longer leveling process wouldn’t be frowned upon so harshly.

I feel people adopted that mentally due to the leveling process being a long and BORING grind back in the day and the leveling experience has gotten faster but isn’t anymore enjoyable, if it was fun like SWTOR’s leveling experience
 that mentality might not be so common.

I understand your point, but you do realize that even in Vanilla WoW you had 25 people carrying the other 15 because they had no clue what they were doing, right?

Furthermore, the game now offers options that got rid of the whole “forcing different levels of gameplay to play together”. There’s LFR, Normal, Heroic and Mythic. To each their own.

Since Vanilla there’s been super inexperienced players and bad players failing at and/or ruining end game content for groups. The bigger difference is that WoW is 100x more complex and difficult compared to older raids and dungeons. It’s not even remotely the same game as back then. In older versions of WoW you could have a pretty bad raid team with crappy dial-up internet and still beat down a full raid with the boys.

The problem isnt how long it takes, the problem is how easy the game is by default. You can quest to max level without ever having to actually use an ability.

Then, why create world zones, leveling content or even have levels each expansion?

It’s not leveling speed that is the problem.

It’s the fact that whenever you get into LFD you end up in a group with someone who can solo the dungeon so you don’t learn anything.

You don’t need to even remotely know how to play your class until you try to run Mythic 0’s. Everything before that isn’t even training wheels.

The entire leveling experience is filled with group content that doesn’t need you. Heck even when you hit 70, you still don’t need to know how to play. Once you hit 70, you can waste weeks doing content that isn’t even relevant too.

If they really want people to learn to play, they need to build weak auras for every class into the UI, and damage meters so people can see if they’re doing poorly. They also need to build in DBM/BigWigs.

A totally new player doesn’t even know how terrible they are without addons
 so they should really bake all that info into the default UI.

One thing I’d really like to see is a score board at the end of a dungeon that gives props for people who did the most interrupts / avoided taking the most damage / did the most damage / healing / other interesting stats.

Then give badges like some old couch multiplayer games used to
 like “Slayer” for killing the most enemies
 or like “Kanye” for whoever has the most interrupts lmfao.

As a guild leader/raid leader, i try to play as many alts as i can to have a better overall understanding of the game and its classes.

I also strongly encourage my members to have a focus on there main and provide them with as mich info as i can reasonably to help them succeed in raid.

I havent leveled a character in years simply because throigh the years i have done so much leveling that i just cant be bothered to do it again.

There will always be different types of players those that only play one class and those that play several alts, the latter will continue to do so weather its easy or difficult to level alts.

But oftentimes better than a master of one.

Next it will be how Christmas harbors toxicity and should be removed from game. Some of you forum breathers really need to touch grass.

Seconding this. Things die way too easily and there is no threat at all. Heck, even in dungeons.

Creating zones and levels is fine. And doesn’t take away from my disagreement.

Furthermore. There is still a journey. It’s just a different one than what some people want, so it’s dismissed. There is still a progression journey that takes place while being max level.

Leveling does not have a monopoly on “journey”.

Leveling is not what the main focus of MMOs is all about. It’s a part of it. But it hasn’t even been the main focus of wow since the first expansion.

This is how MMOs tend to be. The opening launch/vanilla places a higher focus on the leveling experience. Once the first expansion hits there is less of a focus in leveling. More on end game content.

I can agree with this. I don’t understand how people can argue that leveling is the journey but everything after that point doesn’t matter anymore. It’s as if you had “made it” and can stop playing. After all the journey’s done, right?

It makes no sense to focus too much on leveling as it’s a transitionary period, more than it is the main objective of the game.

Leveling “used” to be a big part of the whole mmo experience in world of warcraft, it no longer is. You can’t solve this in a good way because increasing the time it takes to level today would have the opposite effect on most players.

The game would need to be redesigned and that ain’t happening anytime soon. It’s not that it takes time to level that is a problem in itself it’s that the world has to be deep(content, a lot of players etc). If you’re out in say Feralas by yourself then leveling is no fun at all, it’s just a boring slog even if leveling is fast.

The other part about leveling it being slow is that making it slow doesn’t mean it’ll make it a fun experience and this is another problem with wow these days. It works good on classic servers because leveling is a big part of the whole experience like I wrote previously but that does not apply to retail at all. The leveling gets in the way and it’s too fast for people to learn anything from it causing it to be merely an obstacle.

Lastly we get into the end-game and this is where a lot of things break there are so many hoops for new players to jump through that I wouldn’t be shocked if some quit because they feel like they can’t get anywhere. While we can blame “elitists” it’s a problem that blizzard themselves created by not having proper systems in place to help alleviate some of it. There could be things that encourage players to help others with worse gear, experience and so on but there isn’t.

2 Likes

I think that element flies over a lot of people’s heads.
Back in classic, you had leveling and then you did the final raids / dungeons. And that was it.

Retail has sooo much more going on, so many more different progression means, so much more content, many more systems. Imo it’s silly to think retail wow has or can recapture that same atmosphere because it never could, and never will.

There’s a lot of complaints about elitists and in my experience, it’s often the experienced players complaining about them who are the least often to go and help people, they just watch the spectacle happen.
After a dungeon or whatever, if I noticed someone struggled, I’ll hit them up. See if they would appreciate some help.

It lasted until the first expansion, TBC.

So then slow it down, stop making HUD markers for quest objectives, and make the mobs both tougher and more lethal and voila, a better, longer leveling experience that end-content whiners can’t complain about.

It’s extremely simple to make the leveling experience rewarding and progressive at the same time.

Can you remind me if people were magically better when these didn’t exist? Because I sure can’t remember anyone ever complaining or being bad before hud markers were added.
Also still, making leveling slow is not a good solution. You’ll simply make the actual new players take even longer, possibly quit.
People don’t learn how to do their rotation well while leveling. That’s experience you gain from being max level and clearing content.

If new players can’t differentiate between ‘fast’ and ‘slow’ leveling, how’re they going to quit?

And you’re not artificially slowing the rate you gain XP, but the increasing the cost to achieve it.

How do you do that
?

Do you add spongy enemies that ignore cc to punish casters?

Do you add deadly casts that classes without generous interupts die to?

Do you litter the world with tight packed mobs that need aoe?

WoW isn’t designed to be a good leveling game. You can’t bandaid it you have to rebuild it from the ground up.