Leveling speed is creating inexperienced max levels and leading to content nerfs as well as toxic endgame

I can tell you from OG vanilla/TBC experience, slow levelling didn’t prevent people from hitting cap and being worse than useless in a group

1 Like

If it did anything to tutor you for that content I’d agree but it doesn’t. It isn’t a tutorial for anything really because it doesn’t teach any valuable skills or information for any of the end game content.

1 Like

The real question is how Experienced do you want new players to be? Do you expect them the shadow meld as a druid to get a free stun? If so…that’s advanced and you play the game too much. My point being is the longer you play the higher the bar you will set for new players and that’s not exactly fair either.

You either want new blood or you don’t. Cant have both.

1 Like

That cause of Blizzard reinforcement of the Go go go mentality , most of the players playing this game should not be playing an MMoRpg , but they are here because of Blizzard game design . They are obviously going to defend it because that is what they like doing .

This remix is not helping that either, I thought I was buffed sitting at 3 million hp then I saw a mage with 15 million hp who told me their speed is at 40 % :rofl: :rofl: , now If I go back to retail every thing feels slow and I want to move/kill faster and I am not a GO GO GO player :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

It takes (and I know because I’ve done it multiple times) bare minimum something like 20-30 dungeons and at least 5-6 raids.

If someone doesn’t have a fundamental grasp of their character after grouping with people bare-minimum 35 times, that’s a player problem, not a design problem.

There will always be “bad” players. Blizzard can’t force people to be better.

Note how I said bare-minimum because that’s if you use the EXP mailbox trick. If you don’t it’ll take much longer than that.

Name me one mmo that handholds a player from a lowly level 1 to max level 70 and soon to be 80?

exactly. OP seems to be under the impression that everyone who makes it out of his dream leveling experience would be battle-hardened pro gamers that know everything about raid, m+, pvp, and of course their class for the rest of the game. In reality they might at best be slightly better than the average new player is now (assuming they completely overhauled the leveling process to actually try to teach mechanics and proper rotations), but the expectation would be significantly higher because now Johnny Newplayer has already spent 100 hours playing the game instead of 25 hours just to get to max level. I guess technically having a longer leveling process might reduce the total number of toxic players at max since it would probably reduce the total number of players in general, but the actual concentration of people at max level that would respond in a toxic way to small mistakes would probably increase if anything.

1 Like

I don’t think leveling ever taught people to play its to trivial… even modes like hardcore usually just teach the dangers of elevated ledges more then combat in wow.

I mean learning how youd class functions is pretty much end game nos ontop od that there is a LOT of resourcss available to help teach

This is so tired. This whole gripe.

Leveling pretty much died at Wrath. That was the last expansion where “leveling mattered”, but by the end the expansion, leveling didn’t mean anything. It was a rush to the 80 and the currency grind to get into a raid spot.

That was a LONG TIME ago.

They “fixed” leveling with the scaling system in order to make all of the old world content (ALL of it, all, what 120+ zones of it) relevant, questable, and playable by your leveling toon.

That’s the best it’s going to get. WoW is “too big”. If you want to walk through all eleventy billion quests in the game at something approaching the appropriate level, locking XP is the hot tip, and let the game scale to you so you don’t run around one shotting everything.

The Story of WoW 20 years ago is not particularly germane to the Story of WoW today. There’s no reason to have to pick up Volume 1 of 10 to enjoy volume 11 right away. That would be insane.

Leveling is not XP, not any more, not for more than a decade. It’s Rep, Renown, “Artifact power” (or whatever), Profs, Currency, iLevel, All of which happens in “End game”. NOTHING happens during the leveling process, save the obsoleting of your old expansion gear to normalize everyone to the same power level entering into end game. That, plus a world tour and some story telling are what “leveling” is for in modern WoW, and has been, again, still, for some time.

If you want “old style” leveling, Classic is -->. Have fun!

Only at the highest levels is WoW a game of skill. Rather, its a game of showing up and bonking monsters and maybe getting a bit more power to make bonking monsters easier next time.

1 Like

I do wish we had more options at the XP fellow though. The choice to level at 75% or 50% speed would be nice for people who want to take their time without having to constantly return to the NPC to toggle it, or bearing with skill/talent progression being completely halted.

1 Like

In all honesty, the endgame is made for 1 percent of players. No one wants to beat their head against the wall 4 times in a raid, or 20 times in a dungeon. There is no value, and 99 percent of the players could care less if you did it. I will whole heartedly tell you that yes, they need to quit letting people skip the game. But, the journey is the actual fun in this game. They failed when they put in level scaling, the dragonriding is a detriment to the game, the fact that at any level you can just aoe stuff down is just dumb. That is why people flocked to vanilla when it opened, that is why they will be in sod when it goes to the next season.

Longer leveling is not going to teach people how to play their class. It teaches you the basics, if that, but that’s about it. It does not teach you how to be more efficient with your rotation or what the best build is. It has never made someone into a better player. Even back in Classic, it didn’t really teach you anything about end game activities or how to play your class at a high level

What makes someone a good player is a willingness to learn the game and its mechanics, and some mechanical dexterity.

It took me 6 years to get semi good at the game. Most people DO NOT want to spend that kind of time on a game. Mainly because it took me like 2 years of testing EVERY CLASS and after thinking I found a main I found out the hard way THAT CANT BE MY MAIN because of So and so expectations of that class in such and such situations. So then I’d find a class that gave me my playing style.

people got to learn to be patient in this game.

I think they should offer up an Heirloom Trinket with a -50% XP buff to it. Makes it easy for folks to put on or take off, scales with the content, so its no big deal running with it throughout the leveling process. Give story folks an opportunity to work all the quests in a zone or expansion “at level” (even a scaled level).

Are you implying “high level Delves” can be completed by “noobs with poor or no class understanding or skill”? Looks like a contradiction to me.

You words simply are wrong. You never “proved them right”. There is no requirement to bring anyone into YOUR game experience. Hence why you can create a guild environment that caters to your style of play with like minded individuals. I was a PvE oriented player through TBC in a progression guild. Started to pull back in WOTLK & basically abandoned the raiding altogether outside of farming needed PvE items for PvP. I am in a like minded PvP oriented guild and if anyone mentions a key or raid in G chat they get trolled. I would encourage you to stay focused on your gameplay & working toward creating a network either through your friends list or guild of similarly “skilled” players. There have always been noobs in WoW even at max lvl. Xaryu didnt even know about WASD when till he had been playing for a very long time.

But often times better than a master of one.
:point_up: this is the full quote.

3 Likes

Ehhhh another one of these posts. Look if you want to frolic through the flowers and level to max level in 100 days played then do u booboo. The rest of us actually want to get to end game and actually enjoy playing the game. Since the inception of wow the leveling has always been a grind most reasonable players don’t enjoy, at least not to the extent of wanting it to last longer. I applaud you for enjoying that grind but don’t expect others to enjoy that same sentiment. As for players being inexperienced at max level that’s not 100% true. Those players that are clueless on how to play their class at max level will be the same regardless if it takes 2 days to max level or 50. Experienced players, which id argue is a very large portion of the community, has done this grind enough to know the general expectations of out of any class. It’s not that complicated to hit buttons 1,2,3,4 and then do it again. Obviously to become better at your class it’s more then that simple requirement but if you can manage a simple rotation you’ll do good enough to not be called a scrub. Most of these people that seem to slow groups down are typically key board turners and people not moving out of the fire, the same as it’s always been. Making leveling last longer won’t fix that.

I mostly just want to know what you think people will learn in a longer leveling journey. The class you’re playing is still incomplete at level 50.

And ironically in my personal experience it’s people who have been through the Vanilla leveling process that tend to misunderstand their class contemporaneously, and refuse to take advice.