Leveling speed is creating inexperienced max levels and leading to content nerfs as well as toxic endgame

While the last sentence is mostly true, most people don’t remain a jack of all trades.

Most people choose 1 toon and go with that.

I have a buttload of alts, most I’ll barely play, some I’ll never touch again.
I have them because it’s fun to make them and level them but I’ll eventually delete many of them.

Til then I keep them because of how Blizzard does the balancing.

You ever notice how sometimes a certain class starts to shine?
Like rogues will at the end of an expac in pvp. I have multiple rogues (Idk why I haven’t deleted most yet, I only need 1 but they were fun to level) and when their time to shine came around, I’d jump on one and run pvp bg’s and world pvp.
It was fun.
It still is.

I think that’s why people have the alts and keep them.

So I don’t think warbands are going to be a detriment to the skill of a player.

I think no matter what, it’s going to take new people time to get good at a class that clicks with them. They’ll probably have some alts but most everyone ends up finding a personal favourite and that’s the one they’ll shine on the most.

2 Likes

Leveling has never taught you anything in terms of learning the ins and outs of your class and or specialization. So, stop with this sorry of an excuse.

New players like anyone knows or even understands them and just making up BS narrative thinking that they are mostly uneducated folks. And maybe thinking that they are unintelligent and uninformed group of people and thinking that they lack the understanding of how an mmo work. Just FYI most of us think we know better when we really do not.

The War Within is making this game much more accessible for new players and making alts more friendly and removing barriers. And also, making classes and or specializations much more streamlined and simple for accessibility.

Worldsoul saga is all about focusing on making the game feel more inviting than say being regressive in terms of gatekeeping. Also, in the Worldsoul saga is making the whole game more respecting your time than say wasting your time. And finally, being more casual friendly with more content that focuses on those audiences.

One last thing in War Within they are cutting the time of leveling in half and making it ever faster to get to 80.

Just remembering 2005 me thinking slice and dice was a waste of time and instead only using eviscerate. Truly peak me.

4 Likes

There are players that claim to have played the game since Vanilla and TBC that still dont realize they have a kick or how their abilities interact with one another. It isnt the leveling experience, its the person behind the keyboard

1 Like

This post is 100% accurate. Smart people who played since Vanilla knew it already.
Classic coming out made tons of people realize it.

“The game doesn’t start until end game.” and “Nothing matters until the end game.” etc is antithetical to the genre and has been killing this genre for over a decade now.

MMO’s are meant to be about the journey, not the destination.

But this is how it has worked since TBC.

I disagree.

1 Like

It teaches base understanding of the abilities independently at most, not so much the class. As you level, there is the missing flow to a proper rotation–which generally requires a nearly maxed out talent tree.

Sadly, most people left are going to be like this person I’m quotting.
The people who agree with the OP quit ages ago, and the only people left are the people who ENJOY this type of MMO.
That’s why the game is so “toxic”, all the nice/normal people got pushed away and the only people left are the “toxic”.

Since this is the only player base left(because Blizzard designed for them and chased normal people away), they will continue to design for them and nothing will improve.

Your title’s got a lot of words.

To bad I’m not reading 'em.

1 Like

It really doesn’t make any sense why mobs need to die as fast as they do open world.

The only way it makes sense, is if the person in charge (you know who he is) thinks of the open world/leveling as a “waste of time” and the only part of the game that matters is mythic raiding/M+25/Top 10 PvP.

Pretty disrespectful to your core majority player base, and why the games player base is in the cesspool state it’s in.

1 Like

What are these “normal players”?

I don’t get how the forums always assume that casuals are no longer playing this game with no credible sources provided. If this game were to be really toxic I would’ve seen it 24/7 for 365 days but I haven’t I’ve only saw a few here and there and that’s about it. To say it’s the whole game is disingenuous and misleading.

Why they want everything on retail to be simple and streamlined? Is because we asked for them to make it so and to move away from classic eras of design and mentality.

5 Likes

Nothing matters if your destination is crap, in MMOs or anything else.
“The journey” is an attempt to romanticize failure.

On-topic, leveling does not foster a good playstyle at level cap.
Even the optimal builds and rotations are completely different at certain level ranges when compared to cap.

All one needs to be a decent player is the ability to read and correctly interpret talent and ability descriptions.

This game has almost no obscure interaction between its mechanics that would require a player to look outside for basic gameplay (up to M+5 and Normal Raids at the very least).

3 Likes

the question, i think, then becomes how do you define the journey? Perhaps paradoxically, a fresh level 70 has almost the same ilevel disparity between a max-geared level 70 as it does with a level 1. (brand new character ~1, fresh level 70 ~270, max gear level 70 ~525)

the game is all a journey (that’s a vertical progression game at it’s core, I think), but the bulk of all character’s time will generally be spent at max level, where another type of progress starts - different from the previous character level, it’s now the ilevel.

I argue that primary content is based around max level - remix is challenging that, which is good to have a fresh look. But character levels are a means of providing characters with the abilities in a slow, drip-fed way, whereas ilevel can be thought of providing challenging content in a slow, drip-fed way (with the various tiers of end-game content mimicking the various level-based content that came sub level 70). Narratively, it also provides the backdrop and foundation for many of the story hooks in the current expansion - or, ideally, it would, but wow is a pretty confusion mess during leveling.

1 Like

There is good reason the leveling experience was so accelerated… because no one liked the leveling experience, it’s something WOW has ALWAYS struggled with, if it was actually fun, I’m sure people wouldn’t mind the longer experience of it.

1 Like

i do wish there were more large scale, raid-boss like Open world encounters, a la GW2. But, in order for that to be a thing, WoW needs to start it from the beginning. Introduce zone-wide events that teach new players to work together to defeat it. WoW is trying to add OW events at end-game, but not really creating an early game experience that mimicks that. so, folks may get to end game, and those world events are largely side shows.

Zone wide meta’s in GW2 are something pretty cool to behold if you’ve never experienced 'em!

one of my fav’s was dragon’s stand

Fast leveling is making some people happy.

Happy bad, please ban happy people. Make game boring me happy if game its boring

The thread.

3 Likes

As I understand it, Delves can be run by 1-5 players. So people can solo Delves. Rather like Torghast. So, if you are doing it alone, how is it disruptive?

1 Like

WoW tried this with Oondasta. If you were there at the time, you’ll know exactly why “hard” open-world content literally cannot exist in this game.

Yes, I remember it well. In that first pass on Oon, it required multiple full raid groups which still managed to frequently get smashed and did the same to the servers.

Didn’t take long for them to realise that no, that wasn’t such a good idea.

1 Like

In my opinion, the best way to learn your class back in the day was to talk to skilled/knowledgeable players. As was mentioned here, plenty of people managed to get to 60 without knowing their bum from their face.

Perhaps you should focus on improving the social aspect/promoting joining good guilds (not trade chat spam/super inviter guilds) and fostering a community instead of just trying to stretch out what is essentially the “free period” lesson of wow.

1 Like