Leeway here to stay

Fascinating.

We watch actual video proof showing leeway is entirely different from how it played in vanilla, and you people say what we’re watching is a…feeling…or something. While we’re sitting here watching it actually happen.

I played vanilla in so cal, this was never a thing like what we’re seeing now. There weren’t Tauren running around melee attacking from outside war stomp range.

How is this difficult to grasp?

1 Like

The issue is that the vast majority of players didn’t have low latency in Vanilla, in fact leeway was specifically a mechanic designed to smooth out the game for high latency players.

Since the quality of internet connection has improved dramatically in that time, as has the variety of physical locations you can connect to reducing distance.

There is absolutely no need to have a system implemented that “smooths the game for (non-existent) high latency players”

You mean 15"

3 Likes

Purposeful sabotage of a shameless cash grab. Not sure which side you’re on at this point.

Have I ever once claimed it was a shameless cash grab? Can you post a link?

Pretty close.

This is nonsense. I had low latency and my internet connection was nothing special, a relative low bandwidth DSL connection. Even people with dialup generally had low latency, but their bandwidth was so constricted that high activity, crowded areas could jamb up throughput.

I am pacific northwest, my latency in Vanilla was about 60ms, my latency now, on a Chicago server, is about 60ms.

I don’t have any way to compare my experience now with what I experienced back then, but latency definitely isn’t the issue.

Where are you guys getting the idea that latency back then was a problem?

Not even remotely close. They are making classic to protect their IP. Which is what I’ve maintained since day one.

The two of you are quite clueless as to what the phrase “cash grab” means. :wink:

I know how badly you hate being wrong but keep on stalking buddy. :+1:

Continue buffing Warriors… I won’t complain.

Statistics show only 12.7% of the US population had a DSL connection, you were a small percentage. You have tons of other people telling you how their service was and all you say is “everyone’s wrong, I had DSL and I had no issues, players on dial-up must not have had issues either”

The mechanic is specifically designed to reduce the impact of poor latency. If everyone was on 60 ms like you claim the system would never have been developed.

If it wasn’t developed with latency in mind, the system would still be apparent in the current version of WoW instead of removed due to the acceptance of better average internet connections.

Heck even Blizzard’s post says “we’ve found for players with low latency, the state of melee leeway is how they would have experienced the game in 2006.”

“There are more people with low latency now than there were in 2006, so we expect for some it might feel different, but it is working as expected”

But nah. Ya’ll are crackers we all had low latency in 2004 because I did.

My current latency logging in to the Live server from LA, on a US-West server, is 12ms. My latency in Vanilla was around 300ms, from Australia. Leeway was just the thing that made it look like we weren’t constantly missing people in range of us in PVP.

Any idea what the latency was for the average NA player in 2005? My bet is that it was under 125ms even for those stuck on dial up. Obviously dialup, with the very low bandwidth handicap, could bog down when in high population areas. But my experience with it way back when was that latency was not the issue.

From what I’d heard back then 80ms was considered good PVP ranges. I couldn’t say how accurate that was though. I also hadn’t been on dialup since 2001, so I didn’t even think about you guys actually trying to play over a phone line like that :smiley:

Remember, folks. They are changing a lamp post to what people REMEMBER, not what is accurate.

They are changing the combat of the game to reflect a number from their 1.12 server despite the fact that it will play inaccurately to what folks REMEMBER.

Let that sink in. The lamp post had to be changed to what people remember. Combat has to be changed to what people DON’T remember.

The hubris and ineptitude is sky high at this company.

1 Like

Leeway works the opposite way. Its for targets moving away from you. The swing/attack still needs to be queued up first before the target moves away.

Now, having a lamp post be white light - instead of a soft color for fire/lamps/etc as in retail… is not the same as changing a system that was there and experienced way before any changes.

We can SEE it now, thats the freakin difference. We used to not be able to really see it before working on a handful of FPS… Now than what we are running with our new computers and internet hardware is much difference. I got 1 frame every .03 frames a second. Spell batching works on like… .015 frames per second? When you’re able to nearly match their servers systems now with your home computer dont you think that would make a very noticeable difference?

i think it would make a HUGE visible difference but it doesnt change the base mechanic of what was already there. We just see it now and go “OH SNAP WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?!”

They arent changing a gameplay mechanic thats been a part of the game until they straight removed spell batching itself from the game… That would be less authentic than realizing this mechanic was there and learning to adapt and play around it.

“”"“Warts and all”""" remember?

*****If leeway is what’s upsetting you guys…

You would have never made it in Asheron’s Call PVP with slide casting. You would plant your feet and then complain when the archer dropped you in 3 shots or less with 100% power shots

Correct. The lamp post being authentic is not the same as combat being inauthentic. That’s my point. They care more about a lamp post than they do the GAMEPLAY.

Batching is 0.4 seconds, not 0.015

And thanks for proving my point that with better infrastructure - we don’t need this relic since it only gives certain classes an advantage. Bravo!

They didn’t leave the lampost white because people remembered it that way, they left it white because that’s the way it was.

GTFO with your false, disingenuous, self-serving narrative.

#nochanges. Let that sink in.

1 Like