Learning to Tank is so much nicer in FF14

lmao what does that even mean?

People will just say anything at this point to be negative about ffxiv

2 Likes

I’ve never really experienced either of the scenarios in either game (both videos are of course exaggeration for the sake of the funnies :P). I have seen healers in my FFXIV groups telling me that it is okay to do big pulls, not that I need permission. I’ll do big pulls regardless, and if we die as a result I will do smaller pulls… maybe… like hell I am not taking atleast 20 of the mobs with me before I die.

1 Like

There are limits to this based on dungeon design (locked doors with keys from trash pulls and variations of like mechanics), and it’s only possible to “grab everything between bosses” in older content. I can’t think of an instance created in the last two expansions that doesn’t have roadblocks to slow down trash pulls and create breaks in them. They are built to individual pulls (whether or not that pull includes groups of enemies that might be pull-able separately, these pulls are created intentionally).

Either way, vote kicking people out of parties for “pulling too slow” in FFXIV doesn’t happen like it does in WoW.

Most people understand that not every tank is geared well enough to even do this, as it requires a certain level of over-gearing in most cases. If you queue into a leveling dungeon and the tank is not level synced, no one but the most absolute butter brains is going to complain about it.

Not to mention, most CD’s in FF are not massively long things that are meant to save yourself from your mistakes, but part of the basic rotation. People that save CD’s in FF for the most part are not playing optimally in the first place.

Either way, people are typically going to be complete psychos about how slow or fast a tank pulls in FFXIV like they are in WoW, you don’t have complete clown shoes posting DPS meters in content that doesn’t require “top tier play” like people do in WoW.

Honestly, your “Fair warning” is a bit unfair when you consider the way FF is actually built.

Something someone mentioned earlier, is something about tanking in FF14 gave them the courage to try it in WoW…

I’ve been curious of maybe trying to tank in WoW, but I just can’t get over everybody expecting me to know exactly where to go in a dungeon, and I’m not really all that comfortable with the tank specs, the only one I’m actually any proficient in, is Blood and maybe somewhat, Prot Paladin.

I kinda wish there was some sort of thing that you could practice tanking in, before stepping into the real thing.

Same reason why I refuse to do WoW healing, there’s no way to practice, it’s even worse. I mean with a tank spec, I could jus tpull lots of mobs and keep doing the rotations and junk, but how do you practice healing?

Usually, newer dungeons have 2 pulls per boss, if you pull max. Usually 2-3 groups that can be pulled one at a time, or all at once, then the barrier goes down and then you move onto the next pull.

Some of those pulls though… ouch. There’s really a lot of mobs and they do a lot of damage, fast, esp if you’re somewhat undergeared.

I do wish some tanks would see when the healer (me) is undergeared and slow down some. I mean, I can keep them alive, but I have to forget about DPS entirely until the pull is half-dead.

That, and my returner icon should say that coming back to the game and wall to wall pulls in my very first dungeon back is a wee bit stressful when I’m rusty lol.

But I managed without deaths, so all is well I suppose…

Which dungeons would those be? Pagl’than literally has several walls between most trash pulls that get blown up by NPC’s once you clear the trash next to them.

Matoya’s relict has actual teleporters, water elevators, lava pools between trash pulls.

Those are the two newest dungeons (I might have forgotten one in between actually)

Pagl’than has 2 pulls before each boss, if you pull all the mobs possible until you hit a wall, with each pull being made up of, IIRC, 2 groups of mobs within each of those pulls.

1 Like

And still no one is going to complain if you pull them separately, because people tend to understand the limitatons.

Most DPS playing in those dungeons typically don’t need healing unless they’re standing in things they shouldn’t be standing in anyway, and any healer that doesn’t have the gear to keep a group alive only has to ask for people to slow down, and most cases no one is going to flip out like they would if you wanted them to do the exact same thing in WoW.

This is one of the reasons WoW fails to attract new players. The community is hostile to anyone trying to learn. It’s behavior like that which has led to the great tank shortage.

Here is a tip: next time a group gives you attitude, immediately place them on ignore and leave group. Not only will they have to wait around for a tank, but they will also never be matched with you again, permanently reducing their pool of available tanks. To make it more effective, you can also ask your other tank buddies to place them on ignore too, further exacerbating the tank shortage for those specific individuals.

Nah, sounds like someone never leveled up.

The constant oGCD weaving the vast majority of jobs have to do makes WoW’s combat feel sluggish by comparison. Having every attack bound to the GCD really slows down the pace of battle, and this was even worse back in BFA when everything was on the GCD. :face_vomiting:

It’s very easy to spot WoW refugees since they often wait until the attack animations complete before activating their next attack, as if everything was locked to the GCD like in WoW.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m not arguing against you there, I was just clarifying a little.

This does not inspire confidence. How about actually giving trash mechanics that encourage smaller pulls rather than forcing players?

I hate Mists for forcing you to do small pulls in the Maze. There’s probably some pulls you’d choose to single pull but I hate not having the freedom. If you want to make up time from the Maze, you’re mostly forced to make it up in the bug pulls, because the trash before boss 1 can’t be easily combined (which is fine, because players are deciding they don’t want to combine it).

Hearing that Final Fantasy does this artificially, yikes. I haven’t done anything past ARR so I guess I haven’t really seen this yet but that’s really not good.

Because the focus is on boss encounters and the walls only exist to protect players from over-confident pulls by under geared groups.

No one is doing dungeons in any game for the “fantastic trash mechanics.”

Eh, it’s not as bad as you think.

Newer dungeons typically have 3 bosses.

The trash before each boss, is usually 2 or 3 groups, then an impassible wall, then 2 or 3 groups more.

I can’t envision even the best of groups being able to pull ALL of the trash between the bosses if the walls don’t exist, in fact, sometimes it’s a struggle to keep even a max-geared tank alive with max pulling as it is.

You can pull smaller groups if you want.

When I tank, I do a big pull to start of and gage how comfortable I am with the healer. If the healer seems okay, I’ll continue big pulls. If it seems like the healer is struggling I’ll do smaller pulls.

I mean, it also takes a certain level of bravado to be like “doesn’t matter how many, I got this.” Also realizing that your CDs can be used for trash pulls and as long as you don’t spam all of them at one time, at least one should be back up in time for the boss tank buster.

Trash in FFXIV does have mechanics. Lots of them have aoe abilities, they just aren’t as punishing usually as boss mechanics.

Wrong. WoW has some good trash pulls in Shadowlands that make M+ fun. I enjoy the trash in SoA for instance, even if the dungeon is exactly the opposite of what I like in terms of freedom, simply because the mechanics of the pulls are fun as a tank.

That’s only for M+ though.

Do need to remember that Heroics exist. I know Blizz likes to forget too, but there are some of us who aren’t really wanting to waste our time trying to deal with manual groupmaking.

Then play WoW? I don’t understand what point you’re trying to make. You don’t have to want to play FFXIV, I could not care less.

Edit: This is a different character, switched to read old replies.

He said any game.

I leveled a tank in FF14.

It went something like:

Grab mobs
Stand still doing basically nothing
Dps Downs bad guy

Tanking was unbelievably brain dead

I even made it clear that I was the one responding to you on a different character…

If you play WoW because of trash pulls then keep playing WoW. No one cares if you like the way FF does trash pulls or not. That wasn’t the point of what I was saying in the first place, no one was trying to convince anyone to go play FF because of trash pulls until you inserted yourself into the conversation trying to change it’s direction.

That’s like… at least a dozen dungeons.

3 Likes