Learning to Tank is so much nicer in FF14

Afrasiabi Was fired last year and Brack just resigned.

And also, not sure if we can trust him, but Kotick made very crystal-clear promises that any employee who is found guilty of the conduct outlined in the lawsuit would be terminated immediately, as well.

And if the lawsuits had any kind of truth to them, well, it sounds like a lot of executives at Blizz would end up being fired. Maybe they haven’t been fired yet but the clock is ticking on some of them, surely.

Afrasiabi was long ago yea. Jay resigned just recently, but he isn’t part of the WoW Dev team anymore. He was the president of Blizzard which overlooks everything Blizzard makes.

The president of Blizz has obvious influence on WoW, though.

1 Like

Isn’t that even better then.

I think the reason no one else has been fired yet is Blizzard is doing its own investigation. While I am pretty sure they will do this they also see the backlash that is going to hit Universal and Disney as the result of the whole Johnny Depp thing as such they want to 100% be sure that the person being accused is guilty.

i have only two issue’s with FFXIV - the night - day thing - I need my daylight during the day - just mood - wise - it’s messing with my actual bi-polar - And, hate to mention it, but I see A LOT more over sexualization there during highplay times - and some look like kids, and geez - never thought I’d say it, but WoW “feels” more conservative in game, despite complaints. Probably swimming up stream again, but just me general opinion.

Eh, skimpy mogs are going to exist in both games.

Though I suppose it doesn’t help that lalas have more child-like faces than gnomes do, though I dislike skimpy mogs on both to be honest.

And outside of actual swimwear, at least XIV doesn’t have gear that looks like stuff you’d find in a BDSM dungeon unlike some of the low level plate/mailkinis and such.

Skimpy mogs exist in both games, but in XIV, it’s mostly swimwear while in WoW, it’s “armor”, or well, supposed to be “armor” that’s just skimpy just to be skimpy. It makes a big difference.

At least… MOST… of the time. There are a few weird pieces in XIV too (the skyrat’s armor I think it was called for example). But for every 1 of those, WoW has 10+ even more skimpy/weird looking things.

1 Like

Hmm. I rather like the day/night thing myself, but to each their own!

I hate how I almost never get to see Nighttime in WoW (even worse now it’s Shadowlands).

Thunder Bluff (and Mulgore) at Night is one of the coolest things in WoW, for example. But I almost never get to see it…

2 Likes

yea same that is why i chose to heal in ff14 over dps. i think i only experienced 1 bad thing so far while playing and really it wasn’t the tanks fault but my own but the tank was nice yet i felt bad. i let him die because i wanted to get a chest lol.

i also like it because even though im like in the middle of nowhere doing a fate people eventually come to knock it out even higher leveled players. in WoW i could be doing things like dailies and need help yet alone ask for help in zone chat and nobody will ever come despite there are plenty of people there yet alone see many pass me by.

Same thing in WoW, really. Yes, both are extremely easy unless you are an idiot… that is just my honest opinion. People in WoW were too idiotic to fathom challenging dungeons, Catalysm heroics made that much obvious. To think mythic+ is popular with a majority of WoW players is laughable at best, when they couldn’t even handle Catalysm heroics.

Cataclysm Heroics asked for split-second reaction times.

I remember that one big guy that would stomp, everybody knew he stomped, but the time he telegraphed his stomp to the time it did the damage was VERY a small window and IIRC, >200ms pings (we’re talking about years and years ago before the majority of the USA got broadband internet) meant you either moved ahead of time (and lost DPS doing so) or you were dead, full-stop.

It’s not about not knowing what to do, it’s about some of the bosses having insanely small reactionary windows. I can’t think of any boss in Cata that was actually hard, knowing what to do. It was all ridiculous numbers and small margins of error.

Having said that, I do agree that Shadowlands dungeons seem like a snoozefest.

Okay so Cata Heroics were too hard.
But yet, I don’t think it was necessary to make most of Shadowlands bosses be so easy you have to try to fail.

How about a happy medium?

And no, I don’t want to have to go to M+. I like having an automated matchmaking system, it’s way easier and I don’t have to deal directly with people. I want something like what we had Wrath or early MoP before everybody grossly out-geared the dungeons.

EDIT: Oh, and btw, the reason why XIV dungeons feel easy is because the max Level and I-Level Sync that Level Sync puts you on when you enter these dungeons is rather generous so that newbies can get through the dungeon easily. Try setting these on “Minimum Item Level” and try again. It’s waaaaaaaaay harder.

2 Likes

A feature that also helps in FF14 is that as a new player you get a sprout icon next to your name so everyone knows you are a new tank.

1 Like

if you love FF14 so much why dont you martyr her

That’s only if you’re a new player. You could be a normal player, and decide to switch to a tank class, but yeah the Sprout Icon does help. Just not Always.

It’d be nice if they’d add something like a flower bud or something you could manually set when you’re doing something you’re not really confident with.

1 Like

True, however, I do believe the sprout icon lasts until 160+ hours of played game time and finishing Stormblood (including 4.5). So it does give a new player adequate time to try out tanking.

1 Like

Fair warning that this is exactly what people expect at max level in FFXIV. Maybe they’re better about not being pushy about it if it doesn’t happen, but it’s the default to grab basically everything between bosses and just blow CDs and AoE it.

It’s by default what people want in their expert runs, sure.

But if a new tank comes in and pulls single groups, or only two groups, I’ve never seen anybody complain, ever. They just do the dungeon and (seemingly) shrug it off.

I’ve seen the same happen in WoW, tanks not knowing where to go, not knowing where to pull and I’ve seen the grumbling and passive-aggressive snide attitude it tends to cause in /p chat. ‘wtf noob tank’ and the like.

Or, God Forbid, a wipe happens. In XIV, if a wipe happens, people get back up and try again. If a certain mechanic that’s obtuse is the cause, sometimes someone will explain the mechanic. In WoW, people usually just drop group at the first wipe more often than not from my experiences.

I’ve also seen people drop group in WoW if the tank is going too slow (not after a boss fight, I mean, mid-trash).

1 Like

There is a higher risk of being a dbag in FF14 than in WoW. Not only is FF14 a tighter community where you will get shunned, but the GM’s actually ban players for toxicity, especially when they post peoples DPS logs into chat to try to berate another player.

That, and DPS meters are against the rules, so if you post dps logs, then you’re basically advertising that you’re breaking the ToS anyhow.

It’s more of a “don’t show, don’t tell” kind of thing. They won’t ban you, unless you make it plainly obvious you’re doing it.

2 Likes