League of Legends is killing WoW

Damn, I guess we should make this game more like Fortnite, then.

It’s hard to get into a game that’s (ostensibly) story-based and is 16 years old. Especially if it’s an MMO and you don’t want to interact with other players. A major part of WoW is guilds and friend groups, and despite Blizzard’s efforts to reduce the necessity of guilds, it’s still probably the best way to enjoy the game.

It’s also true that the 1-60 experience is probably a piss poor story at this point. I haven’t done it in quite some time, but you no longer have the sense that this is a vast world, with each zone having its own story. Back in Cata it was redone into DEATHWING, RAAAAGHR. And now with the faster leveling, you’re sampling the story from different expansions. I’d imagine it’s pretty terrible, and it’s probably beyond fixing at this point. Well, maybe that’s not true. You could probably give old expansion the Shadowlands treatment and highlight several quest chains in the zone that give a pretty good picture of the story. But that’s a lot of work, and Blizzard won’t do it.

As a counter example, though, I started playing League sometime around MoP. I played both it and WoW until HotS came out. I tried HotS, didn’t like how slow and simple it felt, then I went back to League. Then one day I decided that I was tired of the shop and the game being completely reworked each season, and the last-hit mechanic was just stupid and did nothing other than slow the game down, and I quit and went back to HotS. I still like Lulu’s character, though.

/shrug

Right you can say that till you are blue in the face but WoW is still going to die. It’s pretty simple to see most people don’t have large groups to play with or a desire to make them. This leaves WoW to crumble.

Yeah, sure, so is every game if you give it enough time.

When’s the last time you played Duck Hunt?

1 Like

Eh…WoW has its issues but I don’t see LoL transitioning well to MMO format.

Sure, but the game is also over 15 years old. If WoW dies it’s got nothing to do with LoL and everything to do with people getting bored of playing the same gameplay cycle over many years.

They are different games with differing playerbases even if there is crossover. LoL isn’t a replacement for an MMO. Hell it isn’t even a good game anymore, their desire for making something flashy for esport and constant development creep has killed the game from what it used to be.

The New York Yankees are killing the Green Bay Packers…

See how much sense your statement makes?

HotS’ biggest issue was Blizzard tried to join the MOBA market to late – HotS literally was released in 2015 and League of Legends was in its prime 3 years earlier.

Dota 2 already had a large fanbase because DotA still was the nostalgic and harder version for MOBAs. It didnt also help that Blizzard tried to sue Valve over Dota either which made a lot of old player not want to port over.

Combine this into: 1) HotS being a dumbed down version of a MOBA – more than Smite – and 2) The game was pushed out with a focus on esports without a stable server system and a focus around teamplay rather than individual performance…meant this game was just not long for high life.

HotS is fun to play – but its like playing a party game with friends.

As for a Riot MMO — That is years away (5 years minimum) from seeing the light of day or even an Alpha. Riot has been going full expansionism and trying to extend its games out into different markets.

I remember when Project M was shown – and has been dark for two years (going to 3) now. A Riot MMO would be even farther away and would basically have to complete with established audiences for players.

1. ESO
  2. OSRS
  3. SWTOR
  4. WoW
  5. FF14

It benefits Riot that they may use the LoL universe to back it – but we can not predict how the MMO market will be over that timeline. MMORPG has been a declining genre for years since Wrath with FF14 being on the rise due to being more console-friendly for a large Japanese audience.

A Riot MMO would need to show something impressive or innovative to survive when it shows its goods.

I’m not sure if that is sarcasm or not.

I was correcting your factually incorrect statement. Not my problem that you can’t handle when someone corrects you. Maybe sometime in the future you will grow up enough to be able to ride the big boy coasters.

its been killing it for years lol though LOL is garbage imo

Nah the only thing killing WoW is the WoW dev team. They’re completely out of touch with the player base and have no idea which direction to steer the ship. SL is turning into a season of Lost.

Me play mundo. No thought or skill required. Me right click and win game.

2 Likes

unless you go magic pen mundo. true fun there with the cleavers

This is a post I’d expect to see made in cata, not in shadowlands lmao

Any nice person can help me climb to silver? I just wanna get out of Bronze and I only do support and new to rank so rip me lol!

Too much of wow requires some sort of grind before you are allowed to have fun. There are too many currencies.

The legendaries made professions more important than ever, and all the maps are basically a circle with spokes around the outside.

LoL is literally based on the WC3 format and WC3 transitioned into WoW. lol