Layering: not rocket science

Protesting isn’t restricted to the government.

2 Likes

You protest with your wallet and don’t play. What you’re doing on these forums isn’t protest.

Edit: I take that back. You are protesting, but in the laziest and least effective way possible.

3 Likes

That’s closer to a boycott. It generally comes after a protest.

pro·test
verb
/prəˈtest,prōˈtest/
express an objection to what someone has said or done.

boy·cott
withdraw from commercial or social relations with (a country, organization, or person) as a punishment or protest.

1 Like

If you want to boycott, boycott. It will make layering go away faster.

Thanks, but I will just do what I want.

Well, there are a few ways you could reach that conclusion. None are definitive, of course.

A person standing around, waiting for a quest mob, for example, and suddenly he disappears without sitting down. Could’ve been invited to another layer where the mob is spawned.

Seeing people in general chat asking for an invite to a different layer, then people appearing, disappearing, etc.

Someone standing around, refuses an invite (or is already in a group), and other people appear around them.

You notice an enemy faction member, kill him, and while you’re questing, an entire raid appears on top of you.

Because some of them are just functions of the game. Intended. Harmless. Counterable.

Summoning, for example, requires time, a resource, and people, and has limitations.
Logging out requires 20 seconds.
Accepting a BG queue requires you to be queued, and can’t be done at will.

People are far less likely to suddenly log in on top of you while out in the world because people are far less likely to log out in those places. They’ll log out in a rested area, usually, or out of the way of mobs.

As for why, perhaps because that’s not how it was in vanilla, and we want vanilla, for better or for worse.

Because there was actually a sense of community in vanilla that layering has a negative impact on.

Friendships, guilds, rivalries, etc. These things are far less likely to form when there’s a significant chance you’ll never even see those people due to them being on another layer. Yes, they might still be on your realm, and they might still be there once layering is gone, but that opportunity for it to form is gone.

Butterfly effect, if you will. “If I didn’t drop my pencil, I wouldn’t have bent over and bumped into her. We would’ve never met!” kinda thing.

There’s also world PvP. Layering makes it really easy to avoid PvP. “/1 Invite me to the Horde layer, please.”

It’s not about what I want. It’s about how it was in vanilla.

What I want is quite different than what it was in vanilla, but that doesn’t matter, because Classic is meant to be a recreation of vanilla, not a personalized game for any individual.

Compelling argument. I’m not concerned with what people are doing; I’m concerned with the game being accurate to how it was in vanilla.

I will, too, and I’d much rather that immersive experience not be disrupted by layering.

I’ll be playing regardless, but that doesn’t mean I don’t want layering gone. The time layering will exist is far too long for me to just wait until it’s gone. If I choose to wait until layering is removed before I start playing, I’ll be weeks or possibly months behind everyone else.

It will objectively impact you, but whether or not it impacts your enjoyment is entirely subjective.

The silent majority thinks layering is bad, but not bad enough to quit. There’s very few people who actually like layering.

Maybe the silent majority doesn’t really even know or care about layering, because the majority of people haven’t had a chance to experience it personally yet. They will in Classic, and if beta has shown us anything, it won’t be well received.

Let me pose you a question: do you think most people liked Azerite armor in BfA just because most people didn’t complain publicly about it?

Maybe they didn’t dislike it enough to quit over it, sure, but that doesn’t mean they didn’t care one way or the other.

With all due respect, I think I know what would ruin my enjoyment more than you would.

I’m not about to argue your subjective enjoyment of the game, so please don’t argue mine.

Such a pathetically weak argument.

“We don’t think this should be in the game.”
“It will be in the game.”

Duh. That’s the problem.

You sound just like the people that made up the Wall of No.

Yet you continue to whine about our whining. Don’t you think it’s equally as pointless to tell us to stop complaining about this as it is to complain about this in the first place?

Do you really think anyone is going to read “it’s going to be in Classic, get over it” is going to convince anyone that their complaints about this terrible feature are no longer worth expressing? I doubt it.

Like us, for whatever reason, you still think it’s worth your time to air your grievances with the particular issue.

In our case, it’s layering, despite our complaints, as usual, going completely ignored.
In your case, it’s our complaining, despite your insistence that we no longer waste our time complaining, as usual, going completely ignored.

I don’t think “don’t play” is really a reasonable response to criticism of a feature that people want removed from a game they want to play.

You’re probably right, though. It would be effective to simply choose not to pay. There are many who are doing exactly that.

The only reason I am not among their number is because it will be removed (supposedly), and I’d rather not hamstring myself in that way. Similar to retail, I will level up to the current max level with every terrible expansion just to be ready for the next one in case it doesn’t suck. In Classic, I’ll level up and play with layering just to be ready for when it’s gone.

1 Like

That’s nice. But every thing you don’t like won’t just go away by complaining enough. A lot more went into Blizzard’s decision than “Man, they won’t stop complaining, lets do this to shut them up”.

Just like choosing to do Layering. It’s not going away and continuing to demand it does is pointless. The window of opportunity has closed. Beta ends tomorrow. We’re locked and loaded.

Are you a blizzard representative now? Do you make decision for them? Because you are speaking as an authority on the matter and appealing to yourself as the authority on the matter. I bet you said the exact same thing about sharting. Last you told me was that you are not, nor have you ever been employed and/or affiliated with Activision Blizzard, Inc. in any capacity.

Sharding was in the investigation phases. I said we needed something to handle the bubble. They gave us layering instead.

Eh, sort of. If there’s more to it than just complaining, it most certainly can influence Blizzard’s decision. For example, we’re not getting Classic because enough people expressed a demand for vanilla, but because Blizzard could make a pretty hefty chunk of money off recapturing the vanilla audience that alienated with all their terrible changes over the years.

I’m not saying they’re failing to recapture that audience because of layering, but there is a very real possibility that the number of complaints made about it might actually be representative of an impending financial backlash to it that Blizzard would have to respond to.

So far it seems “it’s going away by Phase 2” is as far as Blizzard is willing to go, which means they probably aren’t suffering financially enough to go further. I suspect if they said “layering will last forever,” they’d lose a ton of money (or wouldn’t earn as much, more accurately) and would be forced to remove it.

Just like telling us to stop complaining about it is pointless. We’ll complain until it’s gone.

As you might say: Get used to it, or come back once it’s gone and we no longer have layering to complain about.

Doesn’t matter to me. Still going to complain, because it’s still a terrible feature.

“It’s going to be in the game” is not a valid rebuttal to our complaints.

So far I’m yet to see an honest claim to not playing until Layering has gone, except from maybe Matcauthon, but he said he’d be back on August 27th anyway.

Not Layering will have a far higher cost, because the people most at risk of not playing, are not the ones howling for blood because Layering exists. They’ll largely still play, complain until it’s gone, then go on with the game. The people most likely to leave (who were capturable in the first place, i.e. not Retail fans) are going to be turned off far more by super long queues that mean they’ve just started paying a subscription they literally cannot use, because they have no intention of playing Retail. If Blizzard thought they’d play Retail, they have allowed the one account to log in to both at the same time, so people could play Retail while they wait in queue for Classic.

The financial cost of long queues, is going to be far higher than losing a few stubborn purists.

It isn’t a rebuttal to the points of contention. Its a rebuttal to the constant repetition of the same points over and over. For me, I’m about done with any thread on Layering at this point. Just like I did with Streamer threads.

1 Like

My main is level119 because I just wasn’t interested enough in BFA to do any more. I have no real insight to offer on Azerite amour specifically, but it sounds like AP grind 2.0, so I’ll assume there are plenty of people who didn’t find it to be fun or engaging gameplay.

This is true. But also Blizzard seems to want to accomplish 2 additional things. First, ensure a successful launch where all the people who want to play the game are able to. Second, ensure that realms don’t death spiral quickly as the initial launch crowd declines.

Regardless of what you, or I, or any other individual wants, Blizzard has these goals they want to achieve. I happen to agree with them, but that is beside the point. In order to ensure these two things, successful launch and mitigation of population decline, a compromise has to be made. Layering is that compromise. It ain’t perfect, but it achieves both of those goals with the least amount of impact to the game or the players. It is a compromise I am more than willing to make in order to be able to enjoy Classic with healthy realms for the next several years. YMMV.

1 Like

The vast majority of people didn’t like Azerite armor, and there was barely a word said against that opinion in both forums and content.

Did you two get a chance to read the Coke History lesson thread?

I didn’t like that they kept tweaking it changing my BiS items around, that’s why I quit playing it.

Sure.

Little Known Fact: Coke has changed their recipe more than a dozen times since they reintroduced Classic Coke…

And the recipe is different in most countries.

1 Like

I’m old enough to remember New Coke. I’m sure I don’t have to read the thread to know what the gist of it is. It isn’t a good metaphor for layering :slight_smile:

It’s an analogy, and an apt comparison at that.

I know Mexican coke uses raw sugar cane and bottles still.

1 Like

Not really.

If Coke said “Because of the high demand for Classic Coke, we’re going to deliver it in plastic bottles instead of glass since we can produce them 4x as fast”, people would not have cared.