Layer Hopping now has Internal Cooldown

A streamer believes it exists and has some theory about the cooldown increasing the more layers you hop.

Which to be honest, sounds crazy because there’s only going to be 2-4 layers at any given time.

3 Likes

I have had friends in the beta confirm this as well. I know that sounds like a copout response. But if you have friends in beta, feel free to ask them to test it out.

Another way to handle it is to remove layering and the ones being inconvenienced by the rush can go play retail, where everything is already convenient for them :slight_smile:

BfA does not have the classic world, classic quests, etc.

Sorry, you do not have a valid point.

Good day.

That would be the immature demanding way…

2 Likes

Layering will do much more to destroy the player community than queues and more servers on launch day.

We’ll just have to agree to disagree.

2 Likes

Obviously not, but how do we know who’s going to stick around and who isn’t?

One good way would be to require some form of a cash payment to play classic wow. If people are willing to part with some hard earned cash, one would surmise that they are probably not inclined to just run around for an hour or two and never log back in.

Thats what the subscription is for =P Even if people from retail come play Classic. That does not mean they won’t stick around and more people to play with. Thus what you said earlier is dumb. We want more players to play with that want to play the game. I have no issue with the shared sub. The requirement to be able to play is that sub.

We will. You’ll never convince me that scaremongering hazy dangers, are worse than real quantifiable and historically shown issues.

Our communities survived far worse back in Vanilla/TBC than a short period where we couldn’t all talk all at once.

3 Likes

Player names and guild names are shared. Static layers are designed to be merged, after all. Otherwise, static layers act like servers for such things as AHs.

How does this protect against:

• Layer stacking (like realm stacking) where someone tells 10,000 people to choose layer 2 of Realm 4?

10,000 can join layer 2 of realm 4, but they’ll have to deal with queues. Don’t like it? Join another layer. Exactly the same as vanilla servers.

• Economic crash when completely independent economies are merged?

The economy won’t crash. Any price differences upon merge will work themselves out as the server adapts. If you have 1500 people with 1500 goods on the AH, and they merge with 1500 people and 1500 goods, you get 3000 players and 3000 goods. Supply and demand are maintained.

• Breaking “One community”? This method isolates people even further and generates a clique environment on merge.

Static layers maintain a persistent community up until merge. Even after the merge, you’ll still see the same people out in the world as you did before the merge, just with an additional set of people.

Layering places 10,000+ players on the same server, which, through sheer size alone, makes it difficult to keep track of the community. Also, there are studies in the differences between people living in small towns and people living in big cities that indicate that larger population sizes leads to the formation of cliques. While both groups tend to socialize at the same rate, the people who live in a big city tend to seek like-minded people and form custom groups, while those who live in small towns socialize more through proximity. In the end, a larger, non-segregated population won’t equate to a cohesive server, it just leads players to focus on pre-existing social groups like guilds, since the rest of the server is a overpopulated, jumbled mess.

Or… get this cause it will blow your mind… we could have servers that allow you to interact with other servers that you will be playing with anyways. :open_mouth:

2 Likes

You do not want more people just for the sake of more people. You want people who are more apt to stay long term and spend more money. That’s business 101.

Those tourists are nothing but a drain on resources and a possible detriment to your long term customers.

What they should have done was make classic a separate sub for the first month, maybe two. Then they could merge the subs, the people who are more apt to stay long term would be out of the starting areas and you can now fill them up with the tourists from retail.

It would have also given blizzard a fairly accurate estimate of the number of players to expect on launch day.

2 Likes

How elitist of you :crazy_face:
Cause clearly the fact that they could switch to retail after trying Classic without having to buy another sub is so damn evil.

So, you mean CRZ?

Sadly I have made the joke that Layering is like CRZ, just with extra steps. It doesn’t function the exact same way as you are playing with a static server. Its just the layers create the pseudo-servers.

So a 2nd queue system? Queue to get onto server, then queue to get into a given character?

Do character’s choose different layers, or do you get your account locked to one layer on selecting the server+layer?

You mean “re-roll” right? You can’t make the character join another layer.

That’s generally called a crash, when all the different “high value” items are suddenly worthless, because on the other server someone was farming them more heavily.

But those “additional people” will have built up an independent community without your input, and therefore it’s two communities being smushed together. They aren’t simply new individuals being added to a server.

I agree, but the same can be said for 3000 people. You make connections one by one, not everyone at once. 3000 or 10000, you’re going to ignore 2995 or 9995 of them, to start with.

The storming phase of a server (the jumbled mess) in history lasted far longer than 3 weeks. That’s why I see the claims of “Too many people” to be a diversionary argument. Because by the time layering is removed, this isn’t a problem anyway. People form cliques in a group of 50, let alone 3000.

1 Like

Are you trolling or are you really this dense?

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know that people who are willing to pay for a product would tend to be more invested in it that people who are just given it for “free”.

Yes, a much larger portion of retail players will be tourists vs people who are subbing just for classic.

But that does not mean those that come from retail for free won’t stick around for Classic for the long periods of time you claim. And from a business standpoint, Blizz doesn’t want to risk losing subs by having two sub paywalls. I am fine with the shared sub. I am fine with having more people to play with that choose to stay. Your argument is purely “They are retail so they should not be able to play my game!!!” You are the type of person I would not want to play with.

1 Like

I can’t decide if you’re a troll or just dense, but I’m done with this.

K, thx. Bye :kissing_closed_eyes: