Layer Hopping now has Internal Cooldown

The fix to Layer Hopping has been implemented. Players get layer locked via an internal cooldown on layer hopping. Testers on the beta have picked up on this.

68 Likes

Interesting, do you know what the cooldown is?

Nothing official has been mentioned. The testers on Beta have tweeted about the noticeable change. Will have to wait until they can give a more solidified answer or for Blizzard to give official response.

Fair enough. Hopefully some testers can get a ballpark of the duration soon.

Good. This is what thorough betas are for.

18 Likes

Personally, I think 15 minutes would be a solid number.

It needs to be fairly short for the casual player who won’t be trying to exploit it while also long enough to offer a proper disincentive to abusers.

8 Likes

I am sure various numbers will be tested.

Not really a fix. More like a band aid for a gun shot wound.

29 Likes

Cool.

Now maybe some people will stop whining about layering (which is still great, btw.)

9 Likes

Bandaid is an appropriate term to use, but we also don’t know the complete details of what has been implemented either. Regardless, this will discourage abuse of the system via prevention.

5 Likes

They won’t, look at the post above you for proof of that.

2 Likes

“But 3 months is far too long to test! It was ready 1 week after beta opened!”

The frustrating part is the same people who were shouting comments like the above won’t put two and two together and realize how this proves Blizzard is consistently working towards a better product for launch. Slow and iterative, test and re-test.

24 Likes

I like how nobody is posting in this thread or upvoting it for new information but the layering whine threads still keep popping up.

11 Likes

Exactly. And yeah, this is positive news so no one will care. :grin:

8 Likes

Make the cooldown an hour. Two hours. Leave absolutely no wiggle room for people who want to cheese the system because they can’t help but try to ruin everything for everyone else.

15 Likes

Somebody had mentioned to me that the cooldown reduces based on your activity in the game. I can’t confirm this though. So its just conjecture for the moment.

This. Even if Blizzard can fixes all of the exploits, this does nothing to correct layering’s impact on the community.

10 Likes

9 Likes

Layering has no impact on the community. Layers will have as many people as a normal vanilla server would have, which is roughly 3000.

8 Likes

It helps a bit with it though. One aspect abused is people layer hopping to avoid PvP. That is a form that does break community. So while it can’t necessarily be stopped, it will lead to discouragement in doing so. If you are looking to group with people for a dungeon, then you just instance into the dungeon =P. Can still communicate as normal between the layers.