Layer Hopping now has Internal Cooldown

Still really screwed up.

“This game is all about community.”

“Except when it involves PvP. Then screw the community, because we don’t want our prey to get away, or for them to be able to get any help either.”

Because honestly, the people most likely to respond to a call for help on a pvp related issue? What are the odds those people haven’t engaged in pvp lately?

Edit to add: This also ignores that one of the proposals debuffs them from layer hopping due to having any recent combat, pve included.

We’ll you are arguing that layering isnt going to be an issue… then proceed to point out that there won’t be enough people on your layer to ever help out…

Which is it exactly?

Either you have enough on your layer that you don’t need layer hopping… or layers are causing issues for everyone.

Really? Blizzard’s stance is that, so long as there’s a PvP solution to it, they wont’t step in. Layer hopping is a way to avoid conflict which conflicts with the intention behind a PvP server.

2 Likes

well layer hopping could also be used to abuse pve combat situations. can also be used to get the entire arena trinket chain done, way before you should be able to. can also be used to collect way more resources, causing the ah to be flooded, hurting the game economy and could be used to basically cheat in pvp

1 Like

If they create new servers 3+ months after release, they probably will consider that.

But I think you’re very grossly underestimating how bad things are likely to be at the start, and how large the drop in player population is likely to be.

You’d be merging a LOT of servers, and it wouldn’t be a year from now, it would be months from now instead.

Tips out is not a credible source.

AGAIN DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY CREDIBLE SOURCE? Like you know from the people that actually made and developed layering?

Did you ever play on a PvP server during Vanilla? I did.

Even on very high pop servers, it wasn’t uncommon to have /crickets be the response to a call for help. So it is entirely possible that nobody on your current layer is interested in helping(or even present in the same zone), and that your rescue would be coming from another layer as a consequence.

Besides which, I thought PVPers were salivating at the prospect of mass pvp happening? People layer hopping to respond to a pvp fight is a desired outcome I’d think? Only you’re pushing for measures that result in stopping them from doing exactly that?

No I’m pushing for no layering at all on PvP servers, and traditional tried and effective server merging when population drops. Like every MMO since the dawn of MMOs.

I’m just trying to stick a bandaid on the gaping wound that is layering on PvP servers.

The PVE abuses can be addressed with a short duration debuff, even 2 to 3 minutes would be more than adequate in most cases.

PvP is the one that needs very long durations to prevent escape. However, those same measures to prevent people from escaping also results in preventing people from Responding to PVP to provide that “PvP Solution to a PvP problem” so it ends up being a wash imo. Arguably it’s potentially a net loss if you set the debuff timer too high.

“Hey guys, there’s some increadible PvP happening around Southshore right now!”

“I just pulled a mob 10 seconds ago, couldn’t you have told me earlier? Now it’s going to be 10 minutes before I can even consider getting into that layer”

GG guys, really enhancing the PVP experience with that.

Server merging isn’t really effective since it didn’t work in the past, and causes a lot of logistics problems. Layering is intended to replace opening excessive amounts of realms. I’m fine with it for a few weeks, even a month if it has to be. But honestly a few weeks is all that I expect it’ll need.

Where did it not work?

Worked just dandy on the MMOs I’ve played over the years.

No. But you asked where this discussion came from…

yikes. maybe if you run to an inn or city. the debuff drops off? then just layer hop from there?

So again if there isn’t a server worth of people on each layer to maintain a healthy population… WHY do we need layers exactly?

There were still a lot of dead realms, and seeing Name - Server is jarring.

1 Like

What MMO though?

I can’t imagine instanced zones with be subject to layering.

That would be some daft stuff right there.

This one…? The other MMO’s I played only had one (NexusTK) or three~four (Ragnarok Online).

/facepalm

You’re not worth arguing with, have a good day sir.

No you just don’t have an answer to that and are bowing out of the discussion. :slight_smile:

What you describe would just result into everyone hopping into the exact same layer to PvP… defeating the point of layering to begin with.