Layer Hopping now has Internal Cooldown

With their current system I could sit here and rattle off a rather long list to abuse with it. I haven’t tested the beta but I’d imagine it’s also not going to be that difficult to figure ways to clip through walls with it as well as an example.

How about slowly working your way on top of a roof on a separate layer then phasing back over with an affliction warlock and dot spamming everyone to death out of melee range? Sure you can do this normally… but having a lock just APPEAR out of nowhere and begin doing it… is going to suck.

How about killing people in bootybay then layer hopping to avoid death?

2 Likes

I don’t think convenience should even be considered as far as layer hopping goes. I don’t like layering at all, so if it is deemed absolutely necessary, I would rather it be as inconvenient as possible and no where near as exploitable as it is now.

If you could show me the contract that blizz signed in blood guaranteeing only 3 weeks of layering I would love to see it.

We have no idea how long it’s going to be in place and if the tourists (that blizz is causing by having shared sub) don’t leave like they think, it could be around for quite awhile.

1 Like

It will be longer than three weeks, but its also not implausible that a server could be on a single layer in three weeks. I would prefer more layers over the one by time they get rid of it for phase 2. Just hopefully its not ridiculously high as to be unsustainable economically.

Them directly saying it can’t work in phase 2, which is at most, 2 months away, if I recall correctly. So they might be wrong at 3 weeks. But it won’t be any longer than P2

The big problem is that layering inherently brings so many different gameplay issues and changes with it, that they’ve recognized are significant to the point where they’re already trying to fix their fix with another fix. (for example the internal cooldown thing, which we don’t even know yet how that’s supposed to work, and if it’d help at all)

If they chose the additional fix of “change your layer in a rested/uncontested zone”, this is now going to lead to even more new issues and changes popping up in actual gameplay than were already present in the beginning.

Yes, it will target the specific situation of abuse of layer hopping, and for that one specific situation of abuse it will help with preventing those abuses better, absolutely.

But at what cost?

Now, if i have to run to the inn/city everytime to group up even as a cute innocent player, the game is even further removed from the original, and because it is, that means it’s also further removed from the original game design.
Because of this, it will then in turn lead to a whole set of new issues, as the base foundations of the game start to shift into a completely non intended direction (because you’re normally supposed to be able to group up very easily, and at the spot, with anyone around you in the world).

So then you have layerings inherent new set of issues that already change the foundation of the game, on top of another deviation from the games original design intentions as in the layer hop bandaid fix.
Because everything in WoW is so delicately intertwined, all these deviations from the original design are actually going to be game breaking.

It’s a neverending effort: “Fix” server health temporarily through in game measures aka layering, break the game.
“Fix” issues with this server health tool (layering) by putting in restrictions the player has to be able to handle, and then break the game some more.
“Fix” issues now caused by both of these measures, and the game is gonna become even more unrecognizable really quickly.
And when you reach that point (which was already reached with layering)… you have BFA. Lol. But really, what do you do?

Meanwhile, the players are the ones who have to put up with all this “fixing” left and right, and their tolerance is already very low. Blizzard, and dare i say even players are tunnel visioning so hard on the tech side of things, they forget about their own experience in the game they’re supposed to get to enjoy for what it was, aka Vanilla (Classic).
(I gotta get going now lol, i’ll be sure to come back later again to reply!)

1 Like

I think that is more of a convenience argument. If they want layer hopping to be a thing and be even slightly plausible, You would need a sort of device to transfer you to a parallel world. you wouldn’t just be doing it at whim. It would make far more sense for someone to have to go to a particular place to transfer to the parallel world, to be dematerialized and rematerialized wouldn’t it? Also watch out for your doppelganger so you don’t explode each other!

1 Like

Don’t speak for me =P. Even while I have made suggestions to improve on issues, I have also focused on planning out how I will enjoy playing Classic. Each change does adjust how I approach it though which is fine. Sometimes people have to look at something and say “This is fine” or “I can’t handle this”. If you can’t, then figure out when it will reach “This is fine”. If it can’t reach that point, then you have choices based on that.

For me, I don’t like the idea of layering. But I can say I am fine with it for being a short term solution to problems. I was not ok with layer hopping, but they are working on making it appropriately restrictive which makes me feel fine with it.

not all ‘tourists’ will be from current WoW.

4 Likes

What about the otherwise useless meeting stones?

I mean… they are meeting stones… Why not just make them magically extra-dimensional meeting stones?

Functional, and lore friendlier at least.

He didn’t say “all”, he is referencing the ones being created by blizzard. Strawman.

that are generally guarded by waves of elites for you to get through solo… this is fine XD

They also said directly that we weren’t getting sharding in Classic Wow, that they were going to replicate the classic experience as close as possible.

Then they said directly that we were getting sharding, but just in the starting zones.

Then they said directly that we aren’t getting that, but we’re getting layering across the whole world.

Then they said directly it will only be here till phase 2.

Forgive me if I don’t exactly trust anything they say.

I am sure people have there limits though. The moment they do layering beyond phase 1… out of here.

Well there are already 3k people on your own layer, how many people do you really need to go to RFD/SM/ST/BRD/Whatever? Jeez.

lol sure,he certainly seemed to imply that.

In any case the small amount of ‘tourists’ from current WoW will be much much lower than from everywhere else, unless Classic is a massive failure.

I was more or less referring to how crazy it sounds if you try to use a meeting stone for the purpose of layer transferring. If you are going to the dungeon itself, you just zone into the instance =P

1 Like

You can thank the outrage of the forum goers that don’t know what they’re asking for. These changes all happened due to the crying and shouting of folks.

What about launch? We don’t want a bad launch! (Sharding)

We don’t want sharding! We hate it! Give us something different! (Layering)

We hate layering! You better not keep it! (They can’t anyway, because of how it would interact with world bosses)

You don’t have to trust that they’ll keep to everything. But you have the noisy playerbase to blame for it. They ask for everything, hate everything Blizz does, and will constantly berate them for every decision.

2 Likes

True, but you would have to assume that retail players are going to be the majority of the tourists. People that are already paying for wow and just get it added free to their sub, of course will pop in since it doesn’t cost them anything extra. On the other hand are people who aren’t currently subbed to wow having to sign up and pay the money just to play classic are probably going to stick around longer.

Actually for this one its more like “We are afraid of dead servers, but don’t want anything to ruin the vanilla experience” (Layering)