Layer Hopping now has Internal Cooldown

I really hope they don’t try to use a cooldown for a solution. If I just finished switching layers helping someone with a quest I can’t help my guildy on another layer with a rare/gank/quest because of some cooldown? At least you can ignore exploits a cooldown/restriction to hopping sounds much worse.

Then there will be a new phrase for classic:

Gotta wait…I’m on LCD (layer cooldown).

3 Likes

Still attempting to make sure you’re relevant I see.

We don’t know how long the cooldown is for. If its 1 minute, you’re fine. If its 30 minutes… you have a problem.

And what’s wrong with being on the wrong end of the stick? that was basically my whole experience from playing vanilla for two years but we learned and we fought back, you can’t always have people help you. Sometimes you’ll just have to bite the bullet and walk home with a blue eye. You don’t sound like someone that played on a PvP server because most of us that did know that being camped, is an integral part of the game…

1 Like

That explains layering, but not why layering isn’t bad for communities.

Layering is bad for communities because it cripples one of the more important methods of forming friendships, which is meeting random people out in the world.

There are as many random people to meet on your layer, as there are on a standard unlayered 3k server.

It’s not about meeting random people. If that’s all there is to it, then CRZ would be a perfectly fine tool. It’s about meeting random people, but then meeting them again and again. I linked my previous post for a reason.

2 Likes

And you will. That’s the bit you people don’t seem to get.

There’s only 3-4 layers AT MOST on any given server. So you have at worst a 25% chance of running into the same people in the same areas, and if neither of you logs off or parties up with another layer, you’re pretty much as good as guaranteed.

And it’s only for the first three weeks. Most people will have plenty of random strangers to meet over and over during that time, and then everyone will be in the same world for the rest of the game.

1 Like

I am not absolutely sure, but I believe they try to keep people you friend on the same layer. Kind of like how guilds will be kept on the same layer. I just don’t know how the friends thing would work.

its not sharding. the system doesnt remove people randomly from a zone. when you log in, you are assigned a layer and everyone on that layer is also assigned that layer. as long as they dont get an invite to different layer or relog, they’ll stay on the same layer, no matter how many zones they move to

you have to actually make an effort to move to a new layer by either being invited to it by a friend or by relogging or dc-ing.

1 Like

Layer Hopping is not acceptable. It wasn’t in Vanilla, it shouldn’t be in Classic.

2 Likes

Ran from the other thread into mine? =P

if people have to go to a non contested city before they can layer hop, do you think that would resolve most issues with it?

1 Like

Honestly, that seems like a pretty good idea (especially on a PVP server), like require them to go to an Inn or something along those lines. I don’t see how it would break the integrity of the game atm. It could be abused with warlock summoning in a few instances, but much less game breaking.

Aside the fact that it won’t let you layer hop to help somebody with a quest more quickly. I won’t deny that there is no perfect solution to this. But layering is gonna affect the leveling process more than the end game.

I hope you can get this idea through to blizz before they destroy our game again.

it’ll make resource farming a bit more realistic. wont let you camp a specific high value ore node/herb on multiple layers or rare mob, in tandem. and it’ll remove most of the issues related to pvp and pve cheating by layer hopping.

I should have thought of that, 200 IQ dude!

not me. some undead guy suggested it like 2 weeks ago. lol forget his name.

1 Like