Proposed Fixes for Layering!

Keep in mind that layers function in a manner that will keep each layer relatively balanced. So rather than thinking of it like layer 1: 1500 people, layer 2: 1500 people, layer 3: 50 people. It will end up looking more like layer 1: 1500 people, layer 2: 825 people, layer 3: 725 people or a ratio of 1110 : 915 : 1025. The server likely will have the capability to keep some for of balance in the layers.

So with the first example, you end up with two layers that are equally fighting over resources in layer 3. In example 2, you have all resources relatively balanced in rate for which they are being gathered. Or to put in simpler terms, everybody is fighting over every resource available. Resources are not the problem with layer hopping.

Have they confirmed that they will use layering for the official game yet?

I keep seeing people saying this, but everything i’ve heard from the devs so far is just them putting forward this idea and trying it out in the beta/stress tests, gathering feedback about it.

Where is the confirmation that it will absolutely 100% be in the game? Is there a blue post i’ve missed where they announce it as a feature of Classic?

I genuinely haven’t heard about it, and i’ve been looking more than i’d like to admit.

Simple solution though it may not be very desirable:

If you are invited to a group, you shift to their layer… after 10 minutes of waiting.

For dedicated groups, friends, dungeon groups etc… this would be fine… This only prevents people from spam swapping layering.

In interviews and other forms of media. They have said layering will be implemented for all of phase 1 enveloping Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor as they are separate instances. On top of this fact, there is no way they are going to change there mind about this when it has far more to do with cutting expenses compared to other solutions that could be implemented. Its the most cost effective approach and they are a business.

I’m gonna have to ask you for a source on that. They’ve always clearly announced details like layering in blue posts, making it very easy to find.

I’ve also seen all of the recent interviews about layering but i don’t hear them confirming it to make it into the official game on August 27th. Would be odd to confirm it while they’re still testing it and seeing if it does the trick not just for them, but also for the community.

They’ve also changed their mind on bringing this game to live again, even after many years of shutting this project idea down over and over.

Regarding expenses, Blizzard was more than capable of affording Vanilla’s expenses back in 2004. They were at such a disadvantage back then compared to now as well, where they have extremely good tech at their disposal.

Their mission as they announced it now, is to bring back the authentic game (not a timemachine to 2004!), and layering is not gonna let them do that.

As a business, they should also have interest in satisfying their playerbase, and this playerbase very clearly asked for, and wants Vanilla aka Classic, no layers, no sharding. Just the normal game, from Day 1. That’s it.

They can afford to do this big demand justice, and release the game people have been asking for without changing it this drastically. They’ve managed before with overall great success as early WoW shows, regardless of old times hardware on both ends.
The question is, are they gonna stick to their own principles and find a way to deliver on them, or are they gonna deviate on #nochanges and risk a very bad reception of Classic, because it’s not Classic anymore for weeks and months in?
As a business, they should look out for their reputation, especially with their core audience and longtime fans who have just 1 request: Vanilla, #nochanges.

You won’t find an interview of them having to confirm that it will be in the official game. They simply are not going to change there mind about it. People are getting huffy when in the video I posted, Ion explains that over time the layer caps will be adjusted as needed. Less layers will be present as the game progresses during phase 1. By time phase 2 is here, layering will be gone completely. There is no issue with having layering being the tool they use. Its just a specific aspect of layering people are focusing on as being a reason to get rid of layering when that single aspect could be fixed simply by providing a form of layer locking after hopping layers.

As to what you said about the game being authentic to the vanilla experience. It still is as the servers can have the layers capped at the amount you would expect to be present in a past vanilla server. The only caveat is how layer hopping affects the social aspect which as I have said just prior, can at least be limited appropriately.

Then wait till they eventually disable layering and play then?

No one is forcing you to play with layering. Its temporary.

Unfortunately there are two big problems facing server stability in classic: The influx of new players early on taxing servers: and the potential of dead servers when those players leave.

There have been no good ideas to resolve that issue: but temporary layering is the best of the worst.

I really don’t think server loads will be an issue. If a pserver can handle 14K, then I’m certain Blizz servers will be fine.

The only issue is the layer hopping. If Blizz puts off the arena chest until phase 2, like it should be, then most complaints end right there.

When layering was first announced I wish they had made a blue post on it. People were rampant on the forums just with rumors. All this time and we still don’t have official writing on it probably because they are still tweaking exactly how it will work.

Any other blue post they can make on it would probably be pretty general until they iron out all the specifics.

1 Like

No fixes are needed.

Your only fix to layering, if you don’t want to see it…

Don’t play until they remove it.

Remove it completely.

Look. This game has only become a thing because of a very passionate group of vanilla fans have rallied for this project to become a reality for years, and years.
They’ve taken walls of no’s from the players, saying that they better give up already cause it’s getting embarassing.
They’ve taken "you think you do, but you don’t"s from Blizzard, for years until that one moment at Blizzcon at least it came out to straight to the point like that.

Now finally, they are seeing this project come to fruition. Blizzard has said ,many times that they will present the preserved game with the Blizzard quality stamp on the 27th of August. They are counting on them to deliver it this way. That means, #nochanges, because everything else is not the preserved state of the game they are asking for!

But Classic with layering is not going to be the same Classic that was asked for. Not just for a couple days, but during the most special event, the launch and the leveling period afterwards. Something very special only the MMORPG genre can bring about as epicly as that, and it’s precisely the experience people are asking for!

These people wanting Classic, and just Classic, are the last ones who should have to wait to play the game in it’s full state. It’s a “love letter to the community” from Blizzard first and foremost, and they know that this means that they’ll have to deliver the game, Classic, with warts and all. (except this time a smoother launch thanks to modern tech, but everyone is fine with that obviously)

Does it sound like a love letter to that super loyal fanbase to you, if you tell them “just wait weeks or months to play the game, let those who are fine (and even want to in many cases) to play a changed game go have at it first?”
I don’t think so. That decision clearly reflects different priorities and standards than the ones announced and repeated many times by Blizzard.

Charge $30 for a box.

If Activation doesn’t want more money, give it to charity.

I dont have the technical background to explain or design a fix, however I was wondering if this makes any sense to someone who has the comprehension:

Is mirroring possible?

Meaning have one server be the master regarding data and location of items/nodes/players etc. The other layers pull from this master layer and relay information that is relevant to players whom are within the same area. (resources, players, etc)

Regarding load/balance distribution, the technology to have the certain number of players all instanced on the same layer/shard will still assist, meanwhile all the data is being pulled from the one master server.

Lets say there are 10 layers/shards…each have 100 players. They all ‘mirror’ the one master server. There is a node in barrens on the master server…this information is only relayed to those in the area/nearby. For example, player XXX is on shard/layer 001, on the master server there is a Copper Vein. Players in layer 001-010 whom are within the area of said Vein will have this node available, since its mirroring the master server. This gets a lil tricky regarding technology I can only assume, since the community would like to be able to see all the players in said area, yet they are in their own layer/shard. A ghost version of said player, seemingly as if they are on your layer, yet not. This allows for the ‘illusion’ that the players are there yet allows for load balancing on the technical end of things.

But idk, I work in sales so talking about tech is different than fully understanding.

Cheers

This system is going to lead to some serious trolling if we have more than two-layers.

1. Undercity is under attack.

2. Invite me to layer with the pvp.

3. Get invited to third layer.

4. Locked out.

Anything to add to the list?

See this is what I’m talking about, productive convos about fixing the bugs/exploits that layering has introduced.

Kudos, OP

No hopping except at a Rested Zone.

My suggestion is to rename it “Slayering.” Then all the hip edgelords would be on board with it.