Last minute Mage Tower removal is in bad taste

The current MT was probably designed with an assumption of static base spec abilities.

That foundation got radically changed with skill trees.

Which could be troubling in a couple of ways. First, They didn’t seem to have a very clear idea of how impactful this change would be. I think a similar thing happened with the level squish. And second, how late in the game the decision to go with skill trees appears to have been.

Yep. And you said:

You specifically said in response to my comment that today or tomorrow would be last minute:

And then reaffirmed what I said by claiming:

Seems to me…

In all honesty I’d consider it last minute, especially with how few people use the forums, that news will take a bit of time to disseminate through the community. I really would have preferred a two week notice so any runs I wanted to do I could have planned for. A two week notice would have been ideal in this instance. But all that being said, I’m not surprised that this is how Blizzard chose to communicate this with it being so short term notice. I’m going to have a few goes at the feral challenge tonight and see if I can knock it out. Bear challenge will have to wait until post 10.0 for whenever they reenable it.

1 Like

That’s not true, I used my DF boost on a priest this weekend to get my last mog set.

I hadn’t even seen the announcment until today. Now I’m kinda bummed, I was hoping to get another reset of gear on him, and maybe see if any of the new talents could help. Did a few pulls on Disc with full 226 anima gear but felt I could use some of that gear advantage.

Just because I was putting off leveling a priest before now doesn’t mean I wasn’t planning to do it.

3 Likes

I do wish they had announced this more clearly stated a month or two ago. I still have three challenges for the spelltome, and would have liked to knock out Xylem and Twins at least.

BUT…as far as we know, it’s coming back. And then we’ll have to re-learn the encounters. If I was a betting man, I’d gather they’ll make it so you can only have 40ish points total or something along those lines (or maybe with specific nodes disabled; arms with Spear of Bastion for example would trivialize P2 of that encounter) and that way the MT can remain somewhat evergreen beyond DF.

In any case, yeah, more notice would have been nice. But I wouldn’t waste time getting upset just yet. If it’s not back by or before 10.1, THEN I’d be ticked off for sure.

1 Like

September 2020.

Future patch status as of now : TBD.

Blizzard in a nutshell.

1 Like

Regrettable, for sure. Wish they’d get on that.

Are you comparing some less than great armor and weapon appearances (I would know, I did all that crap back during WoD) to an entire piece of Content that was brought back due to popular outcry?

I think Blizz will be way more prompt to reopen the MT compared to the WoD crafted stuff.

The type of content is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that they have claimed many times, “temproarily,” “in a future patch,” “we hear you,” “soon” and then years pass with no word.

2 Likes

Dunno man, my Fated Devouring Cold, a weapon that worked fine in S2, is still bugged, 3 months later.

Dunno where that Draenei Heritage armor went too. Probably lost in the Soon and Future patches.

3 Likes

Nelves, Forsaken, etc also need heritage.

1 Like

Take the V and forget about the rest. You will be better for it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yeah, it’s tough when they disable content but it really should be closed at the start of a new expansion, reopened after season one or something. Yeah, it should also be communicated as early as possible to the players.

I feel for ya, just feel bad for me after they shut the gold rewards from mission tables off. :frowning:

Do you mean me, as the OP is “probably outraged” that I couldn’t cheese the challenge I completed yesterday, as per my OP?

No, he means how we should preserve the sanctity of the 36 second Arcane Mage MT challenge. Because we wouldn’t want to burst it any faster, the entire game might explode.

2 Likes

Sadly, I think they are just rushed. This whole xpac feels rushed.

So this is one of the sacrifices that had to be made. I do agree with you though for the most part.

The sad part is, that this down time, when seasons are over and not much is going on, is the ideal time to be doing the mage tower.

2 Likes

DF is gonna have to really wow some of us too not just leave us feeling meh at this point.

1 Like

No, no id does not. Its still current content for SL, nothing is changing but the talent trees. If they were worried about class balance, they would have already done it. But nope, they are in a huge rush for some reason, to push out possibly one of the least polished expansions in the games history.

I do not get it.

1 Like

No. It’s respect for the mage tower is content which is going to break and need to be re-tuned (and then re-tuned again when they screw up the first re-tuning) every single time player abilities change. Which is what is happening in the prepatch. If you didn’t see this coming… :woman_shrugging:

I mean, worse case ontario, some specs get some of the Legion legendary effects and abilities back (in a watered down version) that were available back in legion x2 leggos. But without the other buffs Legion MT allowed :man_shrugging:t5:

I guess it’s tough for us to speculate what Blizz’s goal is with current and future iterations of MT since they haven’t really stated their intentions(afaik?), and they threw it into 9.1.5 to lure players back from the WoW to FFXIV exodus without any real PTR testing. I kinda feel like the whole time it’s been live from 2021until this Tuesday has been the testing phase :sweat_smile:. Farfetch’d for Blizz, I know :rofl:

1 Like

Are those literally the only words you read in my OP? Sure seems like it.

I did Holy in under 10 attempts. It was one of the easier healer ones