Language filter and Reporting language

So what exactly is the point of a language filter if people refuse to use it and report you anyway. There should be no reporting if you aren’t going to use the filter, not using the filter means you accept that you will see things you may not like, i don’t care if its against what yall think is good and appropriate, if its that bad then filter it automatically like they do in other games.

8 Likes

Yes there should. The filter protects people from seeing your inappropriate language. It does NOT make the use of your inappropriate language okay.

14 Likes

The language filter exists so people do not have to see such words. It is not a free pass to say whatever you want to whomever you want. You can use typical ‘curse’ words in trade or general and nothing will happen to you. Directing them at someone will get you a penalty if reported. It is not all that complicated. Treat people with respect and you never have to worry about penalties for your language.

6 Likes

The filter allows parents to prevent their children from seeing it when people fail to follow the rules.

You agreed that in game, and on the forums, you will not use profanity, hate speech, slurs, etc.

Just like having a bullet proof vest does not mean you can shoot at a person.

Mature Language Filter (aka The Profanity Filter)

• This can be activated within your Interface Options: Main menu (ESC key by default) Click Interface > Social and check - Mature Language Filter.

• Once enabled, all inappropriate words in our profanity database will be filtered and masked to appear as jumbled characters, such as ‘*##@&’.

Note: The filter does not excuse the language used. The filter serves as a temporary shield, to help parents of minors and others who do not wish to see it, to block it. Our policies prohibit the use of both clear and masked inappropriate language.

3 Likes

The filter is there to protect those not wanting/shouldn’t see words not appropriate for a public setting. There are also plenty of ways to circumvent those filters.

You agreed to not use inappropriate language. You decided to break that agreement. Rules apply to everyone, not just some of the people, and breaking those rules has consequences.

Even games that ‘automatically’ filter language, they’ll give out appropriate warnings/suspensions for breaking the rules.

2 Likes

You get penalized for nasty language in other games too, this isn’t just a WoW thing.

Just watch what you say? It really isn’t that hard.

8 Likes

Language fitler doesn’t mean you can ignore the ToS. Not sure why ppl think its "I have a free pass to break ToS because of it " ?? Why??

2 Likes

I fully agree. I think it’s a way to cater to Karens tbh. I don’t WANT to see bad language, but I REFUSE to turn on the filter and fix the issue. Stop being spoiled, turn the filter on so both people can win. Also in a Teen Rated game I find it odd to have language against ToS lol. Idk, I don’t get offended by stupid things like that.

2 Likes

Maybe don’t swear like a drunken sailor in public chat channels?

4 Likes

People have been receiving penalties for language since Vanilla. This has nothing to do with “improving their image.”

4 Likes

Or you can make your own game follow your own rules and say what every you want there

But you and OP get offended by ppl reporting you to a point to make scene to get attention against it. :rofl:

OP dedicated a whole forum thread on it- talk about easily offended :rofl:

5 Likes

This, as well as the fact that the filter doesn’t always pick up on things a person says that is blatantly racist or any other heinous remark. Just because it doesn’t contain a curse word, doesn’t make it okay. It makes totally sense to have a report function in regards to what many people manage to spew off.

2 Likes

I can see why you would have a problem - that guild name too…

3 Likes

I mean, because you heard some kids say it in another game doesn’t somehow make it okay.

“We live in a society”

So act right.

Abusive language is against the rules whether you use profanity or not.

Exactly.

People can say what they want in their own home or with their select friends who share the same humor. The game has rules we agreed to though and all the Public chats are all strangers - not buddies who share choice words or ideas.

It is really easy to NOT type and hit enter on certain things. If I can’t be nice (or at least neutral) in game, I refrain from exercising my fingers.

1 Like

Man kids these days wouldn’t last a day during a mw2 or halo 2 or 3 lobby. Current generation has gone soft. Don’t like someone use ignore button

2 Likes

The only change from Vanilla is that you can now right click report instead of having to go make a ticket yourself with the name, server, chat channel, time, etc.

Rules have not changed. People trying to pretend the language filter somehow excuses their behavior also has not changed. These threads have been going on for the past 17 years - mostly on the Customer Support forum. People agree to the rules, then get upset when they get in hot water for breaking said rules :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

still offensive to others - what is the excuse for that guild name since it is your guild.

ESRB rates the content developed by the game company. Player interactions are NOT rated. Those go by the game company policy. Blizzard has always had a very family friendly policy for all games and the forums, esp in public chats.

The Basic Game Code of Conduct

Blizzard games offer a fun and safe place to interact with one another across various game worlds. We encourage our players to cooperate and compete in our games, but crossing the line into abuse is never acceptable. If you come across a player violating the policies below, you should report them.

Communication

When participating in communication of any kind (chat, voice communication, group finder), you are responsible for how you express yourself. You may not use language that could be offensive or vulgar to others.

Hate speech and discriminatory language is inappropriate, as is any obscene or disruptive language. Threatening or harassing another player is always unacceptable, regardless of language used. Violating any of these expectations will result in account restrictions. More serious and repeated violations will result in greater restrictions.

Naming

Names are subject to the same rules established above. Any name the player has the ability to customize—such as player names, BattleTags, and guild names—must be appropriate and inoffensive. Any name that violates our standards or disrupts the community will be changed, and additional limitations may be placed on the offending account per our discretion.

Take note that acceptable names are determined by player reports and Blizzard’s decision, and role-playing servers may have distinct standards for using game-appropriate names.

The forum Code of Conduct does the best job of going into detail about the types of language the GMs/Mods action for if reported.