Lack of Male leaders in WoW

She’s not wrong.

I personally need to be stopped from consuming more than one coffee a day or else i will have the energy and personality of a chihuahua at a dog park, just super aggressive and mean.

That’s why I drink tea :relaxed:

1 Like

Green tea?

Main writers? I would hope so, shadow rising was better written then anything golden or danuser are capable off…

1 Like

Earl Grey actually. Bergamot acts like a natural tranquilizer.

1 Like

I was never really a Tea guy till I tried green tea with a little honey.

1 Like

right on! Green tea is really good for boosting metabolism.

1 Like

This made me laugh, thanks! Anything would be a better leader than Anduin…

1 Like

Anduin had the chance to be such a cool and likable character. Then BFA happened, which honestly ruined a lot.

During Legion, I really liked Anduin. A sweet, young King who is too soft hearted for the job he now has. They had the opportunity to show a character of true strength. Not some human Kingdom who is talented beyond his experience. Unjustifiably capable, being some chosen one or whatever Varian was supposed to be.

Anduin could have been something EVERYONE can relate too. Coming of age. Having to confront the horrors of adulthood alone and uncertain. And Anduin being an imperfect but brave character could have been so endearing. Instead… They made him a super hero. Threw some armor on him, suddenly he can fight despite being a Priest his entire life. Idk, he was boring af in BFA.

2 Likes

Most Moon Guard TRP profiles are written better then anything Danuser or Golden could come up with. Golden’s only saving grace was Sylvanas Part 1, which I’m pretty sure was just a re-write from previous authors.

Roux, Golden and Danuser all write like they’re trying to create another failed CW series. How else could you describe the story from MoP to Shadowlands. With respect to Roux, her work is a little better then the other two, but not by much.
I myself, enjoy Knaak’s writing… outside of his overuse of the word macabre.

I would try out a few of the earlier authors for Warcraft. For me, I saw a drastic change post-cata.

Great, now that’s all I can think about… macabre, macabre

I find Knaak’s writing bizzarely erotic in his descriptions. But yeah he’s wordy to a fault.

He wrote a whirpool seductively once and I had to ask myself Am I attracted to this?

Knaak is horrible… He might have been better with Sin’dorei themed writing. But Kaldorei? He can’t write female characters well enough for a matriarchal race.

Honestly, the only time I ever read a Warcraft novel and was like “Wow, this is really good.” Was William King’s Illidan.

2 Likes

I think Knaak’s War of the Ancients trilogy are the best Warcraft novels, but still like Golden’s books up to the Cataclysm stuff, mostly about Thrall.

2 Likes

you know, the sad part here is that they retconned older lore in part#1…

I always found knack to be a meager writer overall. As said, he can’t write female characters to save his life.

Rouxs Shadows Rising I thought was really good. She made me feel sympathy towards Taljani and her best friend turned evil cult like leader

1 Like

I certainly don’t criticize Golden or Danuser with the gloves on but c’mon. I don’t think you can really compare prose to the ‘at a glance’ feature.

And even if they were players aren’t dealing with deadlines, shifting story directions and being given the nigh impossible task to hammer some semblance of coherence out’ve the last two expansion’s sequence of loosely connected set pieces pretending to be a story.

Danuser I’ve not read enough of to form a strong opinion of. But Golden just fundamentally speaking isn’t a bad writer. But is absolutely more of a poet than a storyteller. But then again I don’t know enough about Blizz’s working conditions to really say if I could do better or not.

Like Warcrimes is a real bizarre one for me. You’d think you’d come at a story that features a minotaur defense attorney in Panda court with playful energy. So taking it as seriously as the Nuremberg Trials is completely mystifying to me. But was that her decision or what the higher-ups demanded?

Because by comparison I thought Terror By Torchlight was solid. I wouldn’t mind more one off adventures with Spymaster Shaw and his manic pixie birate. Because she’s actually pretty good at writing characters with chemistry. It’s when we get into the internal thought processes of characters that things get unintentionally hilarious.

3 Likes

That would be awesome, as long a certain drunkard was involved… it would at least be a 3 season CW series.

Shaw is maybe the only Stormwindian I like. Because he feels like an actual person. Sure he does a lot of cloak and dagger stuff, but that’s his job. He has other interests and goals and really seems like he’d’ve put in his two weeks notice already if he wasn’t self evidently the best man for his job.

He’s one of the few characters who feels like an actual soldier. Everyone else is whinging about honor or valor or vengeance and he’s just focused on ya know, the mission.

" Halford Wyrmbane says: I must admit… as a paladin, I have questioned the need for spies and assassins within the ranks of the Alliance. But the honor and loyalty you have shown our king is beyond question.

Master Mathias Shaw says: Kind of you to say, but if I had to choose between satisfying honor and getting the job done, I’ll pick the latter every time. For the Alliance, of course.

Halford Wyrmbane says: Oh, of course."

Such a classy way to say “Hey see that short pier? Go take a long walk down it, boyscout. I’ve work to take care of

6 Likes

I thought he did an okay job with Azshara. The War of the Ancients books are probably the reason she’s one of my favorite villains.

Agreed, but she’s not equally good with all characters.

6 Likes

Shadows of the Horde was the one Warcraft novel I felt was just superb. It hit alot of high notes for me. I have been a fan of Warcraft Trolls since Warcraft 3. And I like how Voljin and Tyrathan become friends and work together.

Seeing Tyrathan hiding at Voljin’s funeral was a nice little easter egg. Too bad he has not made more appearances.

I enjoyed Shadows Rising alot, but Shadows of the Horde was a cut above the rest, imo.

4 Likes

That’s been a thing since Moorcock. Elric takes a visit to the Plane of Law and is nearly frozen into immobility because Order abhors dynamism. The point being made that pure Law is as inimical to life as pure Chaos which abhors structure.

This developed further in Babylon 5 when you find out that the Vorlons (whom the Naaru seem pretty much a lift of) are just as hostile to the mortal races as the Shadows.

Dark Kosh is especially abusive to his mortal agents given what he puts Lyta through. His death at Sheridan’s hands was what immediately came to mind when Ilidan shattered that pretentious chandelier. What we eventually find out that Dark Kosh wasn’t the mean outlier but the general representative of his race’s attitudes.

1 Like