KEEP 10V10 RBGS IN WoW

I hope it’s a misunderstanding of the interview. And clarifications would be appreciated as quickly as possible.

The exact quote from the “Everything You Need To Know About The War Within | WoWCast” is:

[…] there is an overhaul to our Rated Battleground system that is coming with War Within. People have been paying attention over the course of Dragonflight and have checked out our Battleground Blitz, our kind of Brawl that was testing out 8v8 solo-queue Rated Battleground format. We’re happy to move to that as a default for how Rated Battlegrounds are going to work going forward. I think we’re really excited to make that Battleground experience that, personally, I’ve always felt is the best part of WoW PvP, that larger scale, more cooperative, objective-based, you know collaborative, comeptitive setting, as opposed to the deathmatch style in Arena, to make that more accessible to everyone who, you know, loves Battlegrounds, loves PvP. We know it’s a bit overdue, honestly, us adding a new Battleground map into the rotation, and we’re excited to do more of this going forward.

Source: https:// youtu.be/q2tU3c-V_Pc?si=CK2d7OOUa5FSNHIS&t=1228

If people want to have numbers about Rated Battlegrounds, let’s look at number! If we look at characters from Seramate (Thanks to their update for the Extended Leaderboards from 2 months ago) about RBG / 2v2 / 3v3 / Solo Shuffle, here’s how many characters have a rating over 100 (to remove inactive players without rating) currently. Keep in mind that these numbers are not 100% reliable, because Blizzard doesn’t allow access to them in their Blizzard API, so Seramate is using their own database. And we’re talking about characters, not accounts.

US:
RBG : 30 512 characters
2v2 : 98 108 characters
3v3 : 67 059 characters
Solo shuffle: 249 874 characters

EU:
RBG : 22 083 characters
2v2 : 101 680 characters
3v3 : 64 471 characters
Solo shuffle: 247 302 characters

And of course, players will stop along the season or join at different moments. This end of the season 3 isn’t exciting and I can’t say that I’m excited or feeling excitement for season 4 from my teammates.

2 Likes

Looks like an uninstall is in the immediate future if I’m forced to solo q with no influence on what group I play with.

3 Likes

*Standing ovation. Well said.

3 Likes

I mean… being a 1600 player im sure thats easy for you to say. Just saying.

1 Like

The main reason why people don’t “bother” with it anymore is because if you got 2.4 in RBGs at point, there’s literally nothing new for you to earn that you can’t earn in other brackets. It’s participation is in the gutter because of years of neglect. The game mode itself (when done with friends) is arguably the best PvP mode in the game.

6 Likes

I really hate how Ian worded his response about solo-queue RBGs. He really should’ve clarified if 10v10 RBGs were being removed. I look forward to my guild’s RBG nights every week. Win or lose, we have fun, and aren’t a toxic bunch. If the option to remove 10v10 is even remotely on the table, I hope they exhaust every other option before removing it. Change the format to 8v8 instead of 10v10 maybe? I think if they did this, they’d have to at least implement a version of the mount speed buff that blitz has–though maybe not quite as strong. But still, I’ll take that over the complete removal of being able to make an RBG group with guildies and friends.

6 Likes

started playing wow back in MOP, around 2014. played rbgs primarily, consistently from WOD to DF. if they removed 10v10 completely for an arcade mode remix, 8v8 solo q brawl, i’ll uninstall the second the new expansion comes out and never look back. change is good, experimenting is good, but removing an entire bracket because the brawl had high participation during the two weeks it was out (which was during the off season where nobody could play rated pvp anyways) is a horrible way to go about everything that is happening.
rip rbgs 2010-2024.

5 Likes

It would be very nice if we could get a blue to respond and clarify.

7 Likes

bro u have no exp to even comment

4 Likes

Yeah sorry i don’t play dead modes like rbg’s and hate arena. Bg blitz and random bg’s are the only pvp worth playing.

But i hope they keep rbg’s in the game for the 50 people that still play them.

2 Likes

By your logic they should get rid of raiding and mythic plus too. Just go to solo for every mode.

6 Likes
A significant overhaul of Rated Battlegrounds has been something that's long overdue. Not only overdue, but asked and begged for by the vast majority of 'competitive' RBG players over the course of the past 5+ years.

It’s easily been the most neglected aspect of retail WoW over the past few expansions. It’s been so neglected, the last RBG specific change I can personally remember is when assassination rogue fan of knives spam got nerfed at the start of Battle for Azeroth, only because multiple people were tweeting at Chris Kaleiki to nerf it before he left blizzard.
Apart from any kind of balancing for the game mode, they’ve actually made the game mode worse over the past couple of years. The original Deepwind Gorge layout was probably the map where the strategy teams used actually changed/evolved the most. They completely removed the map for an infinitely worse version where TIED games became a norm. 30 minutes to tie, what a miserable feeling.
So no new maps since, Mists of Pandaria?? What a shame. Yeah, we had Seething Shore for an expansion or two, but let’s be brutally honest about that map. It was bad. Infinite bugs, no timers for awhile turning into hour + long games, scuffed targeting issues; the list goes on.
How can you expect any competitive PvP environment to stay alive when so many things are this big of an issue and have been for far too long. They obviously aren’t the only factor of why the game mode died. We can’t forget about the rampant cheating, fly-hacking and botting that occurred in the earlier expansions. We also can’t downplay the community’s involvement in making it an insanely toxic game to play in general (myself included at times). But we also can’t downplay the complete neglect of the bracket and how much fault should be aimed towards Blizzard for completely letting it die.
I’m not going to pretend to have a good solution or alternative. They could at least try a massive overhaul of the current bracket though, considering the only thing they’ve ever done in the realm of that is change the points systems on the maps ONCE. But removing the game mode entirely and forcing you to play with only 1 friend and 6 randoms rather than having a community is an awful proposition in my opinion. Especially when they’ve shown they can have both a solo and normal version running at the same time already.

7 Likes

I will divorce my wife if Blizzard axes Rated BGs. We won’t survive if we have to 2v2 together.

11 Likes

It’s funny how people are in favor of this are also the same people that wonder why their SS ques doesn’t pop for 2 hours. Get used it it being 3+ now because they will flock to blitz since it’s not 1v1 MMR and you will have help healing.

But yeah keep talking about how it’s a good idea. It’s sad to see people rejoice in loved game modes be axed.

3 Likes

You would probably still have to communicate with him if you want to push rating.

1 Like

One of the main reasons why RBG participation is low is because if you got 2.4 in RBGs at any point, there’s literally nothing new for you to earn that you can’t earn in other brackets. It’s participation is in the gutter because of 13 years of neglect. The game mode itself (when done with friends) is arguably the best PvP mode in the game. The fact that there are still RBG communities who love this mode says something.

1 Like

That would be better than deleting premade group RBGs all together, but the Blitz format and rule set is trash imo. 8v8 instead of 10v10 means less room for filler specs. One less healer role wouldn’t make a significant enough of a difference. No tanks required is superfluous because there’s still going to be a best FC meta with or without it. Shorter cap times for bases means rogue Druid is even more OP for RBGs than it already is. Almost every person I asked who played RBGs at a high rating agree that 10v10 format > Blitz format.

2 Likes

Lol exactly. Just read chat in a plunder lobby. It is nothing but PvE’ers belly aching about having to PvP. But they are doing it because of a mount and a bad mog. Imagine the amount of PvP’ers that would RBG if they had a good reason to.

5 Likes

Legit, the loudest I’ve lol’d today.

4 Likes

RBGs with Slug and Shark Tank are the main reason I got back into this side of the game as a whole, definitely would hate to see it go now. Retaining non-solo queue PvP is a huge reason why I enjoy the PvP scene to begin with. Save the RBGs

4 Likes