Just saw the troll elephant mask in action

Having now seen the movement animations of the troll heritage mask, I will no longer suggest it is not that bad. It is so bad! Trolls have tusks, and they’ve stuck a trunk on their face! It’s absurd!

Please change it, blizz. Just make it a simple cloth that sits around the mouth, under the nose. The nose is such a prominent feature for trolls. Hiding it would be like hiding an elf’s ears.

EDIT, May 3 2024:
Since this thread has been revived I’ll add this note. We have hope!

EDIT 2, May 8 2024:
Hopes dashed.

58 Likes

I just don’t get it at all. It’s the only part of the heritage armor that’s mind bogglingly bad and confusing.

Just… why…

46 Likes

Elephants are majestic tho. This is more like a tapir thing.

14 Likes

The mask needs to be under the nose.

21 Likes

The tusks though. I love elephants. But a skinny biped elephant man, not so much.

Oh my god, they have huge ears as well!

3 Likes

I see a work of art.

5 Likes

They should remove the wooden mask part and move the cloth covering down below the nose. That’s about the extent of my criticisms for the set. The rest is about what I expected/wanted for a Darkspear set.

3 Likes

Same. The rest of it is basically perfect in my mind.

Huge spit in the face (no pun intended) to have this covering cover the nose. I do not understand why they would deviate from the past face coverings, which are not inherently bad, by placing it in this wrong spot…

3 Likes

To me, rest of the armor is great, but that …

2 Likes

Lol. I might have to go roll a troll just for this silly thing.

13 Likes

Blizzard can’t find a way to make hair and hats work. I doubt they’re gonna even try with a unique head piece with noses and cloth.

2 Likes

What, you’ve never wanted to roleplay as the elusive elephant troll? D:

4 Likes

Draenies are gonna think it’s a new type of elek. Trolls boutta get mounted.

7 Likes

I think it’s cool in theory and I get what they are trying to do with it, but it does look kinda funny. It seems like the head piece could be one of those transmogs that has options.

3 Likes

Well that is how cloth moves when it is elongated like that. The physics itself are correct. Maybe the thought they needed cloth to blow their nose or something. I mean they have rather large schnozes.

1 Like

As I’ve made others aware, this is not a mask, this is a tusk separator. It’s quite important for when we trolls have our tusks trimmed and polished.

1 Like

“Are we not doing “phrasing” anymore?”

3 Likes

actually it’s great

John Hight, via IGN said:

“We have used machine learning to help do things that people either can’t do or it’s very cumbersome to do,” he said. “The fitting of armor on characters, you see how many different characters we have. Our artists used to have to go through and they’d build it for human form and then they’d have to go and retrofit all these things for all the various body shapes and horns and big snouts and tails and all of that. That is just not particularly fun work for them. A few years ago, we said, ‘Can we use machine learning to help at least get it to a point where 90% of the work is being done for them and then they can fine tune it?’ And we went about that. It’s actually worked out really well. It’s allowed us to make a lot more different armor. The artists love it because it’s like, ‘Oh, thank God you got rid of the grungy part of what we’re doing.”

Anytime I see issues with armor fitting or being weird, my mind immediately goes to this recent interview.

6 Likes