June 1st 2021 EULA update

INTRO

When you login you may be asked to sign the EULA again. This is because the EULA has been updated and Blizzard need you to agree to it before you can use anything of Blizzard (this includes but is not limited to the battle.net client , the battle.net platform , any games run off it and the forums)

As always when these updates come around I urge people to read the EULA in full to make sure they are fully aware of what they have agreed to. My intention with this post is to highlight the changes introduced in this update not so people are fully informed but also so they don’t see something strange in the EULA and assume it’s new as they’ve not seen it before.

October 2020 update -

`` https://web.archive.org/web/20210424234249/https://www.blizzard.com/en-us/legal/b2e0b082-fddb-4824-93fa-ee9c1bf814f8/blizzard-entertainment-dispute-resolution-policy

June 1st Update -

`` https://www.blizzard.com/en-us/legal/fba4d00f-c7e4-4883-b8b9-1b4500a402ea/blizzard-end-user-license-agreement

Post 1 of 4

6 Likes

HIGHLIGHTS

• Has a paragraph at the start making the disputes resolution and Arbitration process clearer and what it means for you. Particularly in terms of it being settled out of court.
  • “You must be a legal adult” moved to start of the EULA. Stipulates you must “be of legal age of majority in your country”. If not of legal age you need a parent or guardian to sign
  • Added to a section on the Code of Conduct -
    " “Please note that violation of any of Blizzard’s Codes of Conduct (including with regard to Your use of Blizzard’s Websites and Forums) may result in penalties against your Battle.net Account, including suspension and/or termination of Game licenses.”
  • Under License Limitation disallowing cheats the definition of Cheat has had ““whether accomplished using hardware, software, a combination thereof, or otherwise” added to it

DISPUTES RESOLUTION PROCESS

This section has had quite a few changes to it , detailed below

• Added in Informal Negotiation Period

"“Notice must be provided within two (2) years of the Dispute having arisen, but in no event after the date on which the initiation of legal proceedings would have been barred under the applicable statute of limitations. The failure to provide timely notice shall bar all claims”

• Postal address for General Counsel changed to 1 Blizzard Way , Irvine
  • Removed from Binding Arbitration section

“This arbitration provision limits your and Blizzard’s ability to litigate claims in court and you and Blizzard each agree to waive your respective rights to a jury trial”

• Removed from Binding Arbitration section a bit about turning up in person
  • Added bits about being able to video conference or audio conference in during dispute resolution or arbitration process
  • Removed from Binding Arbitration section

" “THE PARTIES UNDERSTAND THAT, ABSENT THIS MANDATORY PROVISION, THEY WOULD HAVE THE RIGHT TO SUE IN COURT AND HAVE A JURY TRIAL. They further understand that, in some instances, the costs of arbitration could exceed the costs of litigation. However, the arbitrator shall shift such fees and costs to ensure that you do not pay significant forum fees. In addition, you shall not be required to pay any type of fee or cost in arbitration that you would not have had to pay had you been free to file your claim in court. The parties understand that the right to discovery may be more limited in arbitration than in court. However, each side will be permitted discovery sufficient to allow that side a fair opportunity to present or defend their claims.”

• Added to Binding Arbitration section

“You and Blizzard agree that if a Dispute involves less than $10,000 at issue, the arbitrator may resolve the Dispute on the parties’ written submissions alone, without a hearing, unless the arbitrator believes a hearing is required. For matters where the arbitrator believes a hearing is required, or for Disputes involving more than $10,000 but less than $25,000, hearings will be conducted by teleconference or videoconference, unless the arbitrator believes an in-person hearing is necessary. In such instances, or for Disputes involving more than $25,000, the location of an arbitration hearing will be decided pursuant to the JAMS Rules. The arbitrator will make a decision in writing, but need not provide a statement of reasons unless requested by a party. The arbitrator must follow applicable law. The decision of the arbitrator shall be final and binding on you and Blizzard, and any award of the arbitrator may be entered in any court of competent jurisdiction. If either party unsuccessfully challenges the validity of an award, the unsuccessful party shall pay the opposing party’s costs and attorneys’ fees associated with the challenge”

• Added to Exceptions to Negotiations and Arbitration
    [You and Blizzard agree that the following Disputes are not subject to the above provisions concerning negotiations and binding arbitration] (added to provide context)

“enforcement actions pursued through a governmental agency if permitted by applicable law”

“Blizzard’s right to seek injunctive relief to preserve the status quo pending or during an arbitration”

• Added

“Claims excluded from arbitration under this section are subject to the choice of law, forum selection, and jury waiver clauses set forth in this Agreement”

Post 2 of 4

6 Likes

CH-CH-CHANGES

• Formatting changes to space certain clauses out
  • Some clauses and policies were consolidated into the main EULA document
  • Certain clauses have been reworded to make things more clearer and explicit
  • Certain clauses have had “Except as required by applicable law” added to them , invalidating the previous EULA’s Governing law section
  • Blizzard balance -> Battle.net Balance
  • Use of the platform being licensed and not sold to you made more explicit
  • Removed support email in favour of directing people to the Customer Service portal aka the ticket system
  • Consolidated language from existing Custom Games Policy for when you create a custom game using Blizzard’s provided editors giving ownership to Blizzard of that custom game/ map
  • Cover your butt wording added to Term section regarding when Blizzard ceases to provide the platform

Post 3 of 4

5 Likes

ADDITIONS

• Added to Battle.net Balance section :

"The Battle.net Balance does not have an equivalent value in real currency and does not act as a substitute for real currency. You acknowledge and agree that we may revise or take action that impacts the perceived value or purchase price of the Battle.net Balance at any time except as prohibited by applicable law. The Battle.net Balance may terminate in accordance with the terms and conditions of this Agreement, when we cease providing the Software, or this Agreement is otherwise terminated”

• Added to section on updating the EULA

“New Agreements will not be applied retroactively and cannot alter the process for resolving a Dispute between us once you have notified Blizzard of a Dispute”

• Added to section on terminating the agreement

" but the Dispute Resolution provisions of this Agreement will survive termination and apply to all Disputes that arose or could have been initiated prior to termination."

REMOVALS

• Governing law section (made redundant as there is plenty of references to applicable law)
  • Real ID - removed line about certain features only being a thing between Real ID users (eg Battle net voice chat)

Post 4 of 4

6 Likes

I’m going to ask was this posted anywhere per to it being active as of June 1.2021? if so where ,if not why? This was very inconvenient when i came into the game .

I’m not a Blizzard employee sorry. I only saw the changes last night.

As always with any update to the EULA Blizzard expects you to read the EULA in full before signing it.

7 Likes

Yes,of course,and in the middle of reading it,( why a timer on reading it)it logs me out and wants your password which i did this 6months ago and may do it again in October .I know it’s for security reasons but by golly it took me all day to figure this out.

Sorry I forgot to actually answer your questions.

No it was not posted anywhere public prior to June 1st 2021.

It wasn’t posted as because of the terms of the EULA them posting a new EULA document meant you would have to agree to the new EULA. And they would need you to , not only be made aware of it but also to agree to it.

So they couldn’t just post it some obscure place as they would of not been able to get you to agree to it. This is why it comes up when you open battle.net client or when you log in game.

5 Likes

Your post is like a lawyer 's beating the bush makes no sense what so ever ,Point a is b so is not c because A doesn’t match c.

Please, I asking next time ,inform people before it can becomes active,you don’t need to post the whole agreement just the info it is coming.

1 Like

They’re not a Blizzard employee Pyromor.

They sound like a lawyer because the EULA is a legal document. Although, it made sense to me.

They can’t provide it prior to coming into effect.

They also didn’t post the entire thing, only the parts that have been changed.

14 Likes

Hey Blu.

Thanks for the analysis.

Have a great day.

8 Likes

Bonus like for the Bowie :slight_smile:

LOL. Nobody at all does that, which is why some companies have made it policy to provide now-lawyer summaries of what’s changed and, in some cases, actually word their agreements in plain English that can be read without squinting at a screen for a hour.

The pure comedy is when they make you scroll right down to the bottom before you can click the button that says you “read” it. Pure lawyer tactic right there.

Very much appreciate your breakdown of what it involves, but seriously, corporations need to stop doing this crap and calling it fine.

4 Likes

Thanks Blu for the well formatted communication of what changed or was added between 10/2020 and 06/2021

3 Likes

I do. And most people who care about what they are getting into take the time to know what they are signing. The risk lies in NOT reading what you are signing.

Again Blu. Great job. You made an excellent post highlighting most changes that few would see.

5 Likes

It’s a nine and a half thousand word legal document that you have to agree to or you lose the game and/or subscription you purchased.

Seriously, NOBODY reads these. Except you, apparently :wink:

Right there you’re basically agreeing that almost nobody is going to read all that.

Corporations can make their agreements shorter, and write them in plain English. They can explain changes in plain English when they happen. Many major ones now do. Blizzard does not. That’s a problem.

2 Likes

Take it up with Blizzard’s legal team.

2 Likes

I would think it should be a greater concern to their PR and marketing teams.

Shoving a nearly 10,000 word legal document in your customers’ faces and demanding they sign it or lose their purchase… well, Blizzard isn’t the only company that does it (Zenimax shoves THREE of these at you before you can play Elder Scrolls Online) but it’s a pretty bad look.

1 Like

Nope. Not at all.

But you have yourself a better day. Bless your heart.

7 Likes

Neither of which come to the CS forums for feedback, nor would they be involved with drafting a legal document…

6 Likes

I have a basic issue with having an official “this is changed” document for the EULA.

Namely when you say you agree are you saying you understand the terms of the EULA or are you agreeing to understanding the “this is changed” document ?

It’s fully possible for there to be terms in the updated EULA that weren’t changed so don’t get highlighted in a “this is changed” document. So when you say you agree are you agreeing to the full EULA ? or just the changes ?

3 Likes