JF Asked When we Want More Customization

The fact that they openly said they don’t have time to work on other races is a huge slap in the face. Like we aren’t all going to be a Dracthyr, so why not spread the love?

Also I think it’s pretty BS excuse. Hire more people and stop operating on a skeleton crew. This expansion is either going to make or break WoW after the flops of BFA and SL. They should literally be throwing as much money and dev time into everything people have been requesting since BFA. Especially given the fact we are back on Azeroth, things can go back to semi-normal, and there’s quite a bit of story to fill the holes in their plot.

8 Likes

That wasnt the queen it was an illusion, just like during legion that was a projection of magic not her, she is always that ugly monster, the dragons and dracthyr use magic to transform if it was just an illusion they would still be and feel like a giant dragon just you wouldnt see it

Hiring more people and using more money and time are not the game devs choice, they are given a budget and a deadline by the hire ups, yes they can ask for more resources but if the suits say no they have to work with the bounderies of what the have

yeah. Kul Tiran need a lightning bolt scar for the forehead for a start.

I plan on maining the Dracthyr, and I am thrilled with how amazing they work, but I absolutely agree. I want players of other races to be as happy with their avatars as I was when I saw the Dracthyr reveal. Having that attachment to your in game you is important to a lot of people.

I’m hoping the fact that they claim to be simplifying and creating more uniform base systems instead of reinventing the wheel every expansion gives them time to open up and add just more fun and appealing things to the game that are not system and combat related. Customisation being one of those things.

The amount of resources they must be using up to block all other races from customization options is either immense or Blizzard isn’t dedicating much period?? Idk its hard to follow the logic there for me, and for forms we can’t even use outside of combat?

5 Likes

Yeah the priorities feel puzzling to me too.
Even if we accept 100% of the character art resources invested into Dracthyr, how do they come to decide that they should prioritise their human costume over their ability to show more mog pieces?

1 Like

This seems like a damned if they do, damned if they don’t situation.

New raceclass is light on customization to make bandwidth for new customization on old races? People angry on the forums because they can’t make their Dracthyr look like an fel tainted space jackalope or whatever.

New raceclass has a lot of customization at the cost of races that already have a bunch of customizations? People angry that they can’t make their elf look like an fel tainted space jackalope or whatever.

Resources can only be stretched so far and past a certain number, it’s not practical to keep hiring because you can’t keep all those employees consistently busy with work. They could use outsourced talent I guess, but that’s how we ended up with WCIII Refunded being an ugly inconsistent mess.

Boggles my mind that they saw the backlash from ‘no more customization’ in February 2021, which is what made me stop bothering to play the game, and doubled down on it here.

…AFTER they said they were ‘taking recommendations from the community now’.

When they never did. People wouldn’t be upset if they actually listened. Here’s the thing. They never did.

3 Likes

Maybe it would be better received if they could be other classes besides one. At this point they’ve said you can only use certain xmog pieces like shoulders and cloaks. You can’t even see the rest of your gear in Drakthyr beast form. That in itself is limiting. Even worgen wear their armor in their beast form.

Putting all the new customization into one race that can be only one class that can’t even show its own armor is probably going to be continued to be complained about.

4 Likes

Eh, I think this part is more that wandering around with minimal armour or no armour and showing off the scales is part of the dragon feel. It certainly is for me. I want to show off my scales and the colours and patterns I choose. I would be horrified if they worked like other races and I had to wear underwear on my dragon.

That said, as always, I am open to choice. I’m reminded of the Iksar in the Everquest series. They have racial lore that states they like to wear minimal armour, instead preferring the protection of their scales, but some of the race like wearing heavier armour either for personal or additional protective reasons. I would be fine if Dracthyr were the same. Let us go around in just our scales, or let players wear armour. So long as my choice to go around nekkid isn’t taken away, I will fight for people to show off their mogs.

Well, Ariel Fain, principal character artist on the WoW team, revealed on her Twitter a few days ago that she worked on Drakthyr for the last couple of years. Not stated how many years. I know from her artstation etc that she worked on other models before, such as Zandalari trolls. I feel there might be very few people allocated to our player characters indeed, if not only her.

Yeah that’s the thing. Giving them the choice to be naked is totally fine, but why enforce it?

The apron-like tabard combined with no other armor looks really wrong to me

So what?

And WoW is miles ahead of them when it comes to competitive gameplay.

They are not all cut from the same cloth, different games re going to excel at different things so this argument is unfair at beat and disingenuous as worse.

You are kidding, right?

The last time they created and releases a slew of customization it was not two hours later people were on here complaining and criticizing and wanting more! more! more!

This playerbase will never be happy.

My personally opinion is given that gameplaywise it is a complete dud, unlike transmog, pets and mounts that encourage players to interact with the World, fails as a gold sink or contains any element that could act as an added source of profit for the company; it would be be better for the game if Blizzard put their resources in something like player housing that would both act as a great RPG feature and check all those boxes instead.

I absolutely love it, but I was basically agreeing with you. Give people the choice.

1 Like

I’m just wondering when they’re going to let us recolor specific parts of our gear appearances, kind of like how Warframe does

Better late than never, but yeah they need to start learning more from their fumbles with Shadowlands, not less

Just feels like they over thought the concept.

Pretty much. Like I appreciate that they want to get creative and I don’t necessarily want them to stop now that they’ve all in’d it with the concept. I just don’t think it was a good decision when folks are dying for more customizations for their core races. If they had put all that effort into the core races, and opened up the visage to all races…then it would have been a win-win ultimately.

5 Likes

Dracthyr Evoker is also a Hero Class which most likely means only ONE per Realm.

Though in my opinion, the initial Shadowlands rollout of customization options looked like a poorly planned mess with no standardization of customization options whatsoever, with races worked on later often getting far better thought-out customization than races who got their options earlier in development (like some races getting scars separate from face options, for example).

It’s possible that with Dracthyr, they’re working on a more standardized framework for customization options before they begin work on another wave of new customization options.

I suspect that underwear customization options will eventually be added for more races as they appear to be a response to the fact that many races have the “Male models wear boxer shorts, female models wear barely-there thongs” thing going on.

Not really. Because not everyone is playing the new race as their main.

2 Likes

I am still waiting for them to add different character models for each race. Beefy, average, scranwy. But that’ll probably never happen.

2 Likes