I've Realized that What Makes MMOs FUN is NOT Playing with Other People

Wrong it just doesn’t have to be this way.

You don’t need instance groups to interact with other players. The MMO experience is seeing people in the open world. The players next to me fishing, mining. It’s seeing people in the cities, trading, crafting gear for players. The economy, world quest.

Obviously there is a demand for Solo instanced content. We now have Solo content even in PvP with Solo Que. There is a desire to Que Solo for these activities then interact in the MMO aspect of the game. Which is why Follower dungeons and Delves are a huge hit and need to be expanded on.

4 Likes

I’ve only done one dungeon so far and it was a follower dungeon. It.was.AMAZING.

So relaxing. It felt like WOW again.

1 Like

Your concerns are valid, especially when it comes to maintaining the core identity of an MMO like WoW. However, let’s consider a scenario where a player enjoys WoW but has had negative experiences with the multiplayer aspect due to toxic interactions. This player faces two choices: either leave the game entirely or shift their focus to solo content, allowing them to continue enjoying the game without the negative multiplayer experiences.

The second option is important—not only does it allow the player to keep supporting the game financially, which helps fund the development of new content, but it also ensures that WoW remains accessible to a broader audience. This isn’t about altering the core multiplayer experience. In fact, it’s crucial to clarify that the request isn’t for making the main quest line single-player only. What players are asking for is additional solo content that they can enjoy after completing the main quest line—content that is repeatable, much like guild runs or raids are for those who enjoy group activities.

Adding this type of content doesn’t detract from the multiplayer experience but instead enriches the game by offering something for players who prefer to play solo or in small groups. This new content wouldn’t interfere with the current multiplayer activities; rather, it would provide more options for those who might otherwise stop playing altogether. By catering to different playstyles, WoW can ensure that all players find something they enjoy, which in turn keeps the game thriving for everyone.

Ultimately, this is about offering a balance—providing solo players with more opportunities to engage in the game while preserving the rich multiplayer experience that WoW is known for. The addition of AI in features like Delves isn’t meant to replace social dynamics but to offer an alternative for those who prefer it, ensuring that WoW remains a game that everyone can enjoy, no matter their preferred playstyle.

5 Likes

So let me understand your argument here. What makes MMOs fun is playing a single player game and not relying on building relationships, camaraderie with other players and engage in a community?

Peak MMO is playing it solo? It’s an awful take however I don’t blame you because the issues you cite of impatient players and zooming through content is what is wrong with retail WoW. MMOs have evolved into a dopamine hitting, fast paced loot pinata with the rise of social engineering, pay to win mobile games and outright gambling in games(loot boxes). The current feeling of retail players is overwhelmingly, “give me all the things now, I don’t want to wait or work for it, just give me all the things everywhere immediately”. For example, people are up in arms that you can’t play an Earthen at launch and the angry mobs clamoring to a refund after Blizzard, rightfully identified that players were OP and 1 shotting everything and reduced our damage.

It’s sad that Blizzard’s response to the utter destruction of the social aspect of the game was to completely embrace solo play. It’s beyond the pale.

1 Like

So wrong! All those people choosing option 2 are now isolated and no longer involved in whatever community is left and their absence further erodes it. I would argue these players are just the kind that the community needs to strengthen it.

I would offer an Option 3 where Blizzard acknowledges their active involvement in creating the toxic environment with M+ mania, Diablo style speed running and overall increase in pacing not to mention the replacement of social interaction with menus.

Blizzard created this problem and instead of finding a solution to a symptom they need to fix the actual problem.

Pugging is probably one of the most painful experiences in this game, but doing content with friends is an absolute blast.

Make some reliable friends to do stuff with and you’ll enjoy it a lot more.

I am at work at can’t reply to this “Really want to” but it will have to wait. But I wanted to give you a quick reply, just to say your right these people that are being pushed to play solo because of the toxic behavior, are the players wow needs if that community atmosphere is to ever come back.

This here is 100% on point. We tolerate other people for loot. We socialize with other people for guild perks and the offhand real life friend.

If the player base wants to do everything in the game with NPC’s and not tolerate others, so be it. Im all for it!

Choices.

1 Like

You got ratioed pretty hard with comment likes compared to op.

Glad you found a way to play the game without wasting other people’s time while passively aggressively blaming them for your inability to divest yourself from the real world for twenty minutes.

Its 2024. People dont make friends, they dont go outside and will text you back if they are attracted to you or you pay them.

This is the new world.

1 Like

I dunno, I don’t have any issue making new friends, especially in online spaces, which wow is. Just gotta put yourself out there a little bit and not fear rejection, its pretty easy.

You have to care enough. I enjoy the game. Would enjoy it even more if gets choices how to play. But I do wonder… Say all this comes to pass and you can NPC your way through any aspect of the game. Why would anyone not use NPC’s? I mean im sure there are some gluttons for punishment who absolutely love for someone to chat toxic to them, but i bet it isnt many.

1 Like

This attitude proves my points. The fact you think your time is being wasted is the main issue with the community as a whole. They Min/Max the MMO experience right out of the game.

You want to always be pulling and setting time records instead of enjoying the dungeons and MMO. (that’s fine you can enjoy the game how you want) However don’t criticize players for not wanting to be a part of that toxicity anymore and having a way to enjoy an MMO.

Which is why follower dungeons and delves should be expanded to have the same rewards and provide another pillar of content in WoW. There is a huge draw for individual challenges you can accomplish at your own pace.

1 Like

But lets be real here. Blizzard is a business. Once they are convinced, choices lead to more subscriptions then choices it is. You don’t leave money on the table.

For as many who say MMO are all about the social aspects… Those social aspects and negativity that enviably follows have left to countless subscriptions being cancelled.

Guarantee I am not the only one who would NPC my way through content with a huge smile.

3 Likes

The issue here is the “Strangers should play exactly the way I want to play” attitude. Some players want to go fast, other players want to take their time. Find a group that goes at the speed you want, instead of expecting everyone else who plays to adhere to it. When the only group content you do is pugs, you are at the mercy of the majority as to how quick everything is going and what they want out of you. It isn’t a wow specific issue, anything you do in life is going to be this way.

1 Like

“Find a group that goes at the speed you want” 4 NPC’s going at my exact perfect speed.
This right here. Perfect explanation

4 Likes

If they can actually pull off NPCs in stuff like m+, I’d be fine with it. Sometimes I do wanna just slam my way through content without needing other people, or my friends aren’t available.

1 Like

What has really hurt the genre is toxic players who feel like they own the place. In reality, they don’t own the place; they just make it unlivable like a crazy roommate.

3 Likes

If you had the choice. Sure friends when you want. NPC’s when you don’t. Then everyone’s 14.99 allows content experience in the manner they choose. I just don’t see the down side… with the exception of… those who enjoy socially grouping know if this were to happen that aspect would disappear, because again for the most part, we tolerate each other for things we want.

1 Like