I've Realized that What Makes MMOs FUN is NOT Playing with Other People

Blizzard is a billion dollar company, they definitely have intellectuals in their business, many of whom have bachelors, masters, and other degrees in STEM field.

Every current mmo has some form of raid, dungeon, or massive PvP form of content that requires human interaction.

Why make an online single player game? That seems redundant, go play dark souls, ordragons dogma if you want small scale single player content. But last I checked that is a niche community.

This is why I joined a role-play server, the people I find on there are generally nicer, and are more likely to act in character which makes for a more immersive experience

2 Likes

There’s actually a great presentation on YouTube, from a game convention with developers, that discusses why solo players are becoming more and more of a thing in the MMO space

I don’t have the trust level to post a link, so you’ll have to search it

1 Like

I feel like RPers and “Elitists” are the only ones that really think through what they want out of the game, and associate accordingly to the ones like them who want something similar.

Consequently the issues seem to stem from those who don’t know what they want others to give them the cake and eat it too.

You can post links using the tilde key prior to the url and after, it should allow you to post it without requiring trust level.

Example:
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/ive-realized-that-what-makes-mmos-fun-is-not-playing-with-other-people/1933210/316

You’re both right! IMO what’s nice about follower dungeons and M+ is that you can do both. If you just feel like sipping coffee and relaxing while you play like OP said, you can do a follower dungeon. Or if you wanna socialize with some pals and take on M+ together, you can do that, too.

It’s nice that we finally have more options for dungeons so we can all play in different ways whenever we feel like it.

1 Like

I suspect that within 5 to 10 years, AI will develop to a point that a lot of that human interaction will actually be AI without us being aware of it.

And maybe 5 years beyond that, there will be members of active guilds, talking, socializing, and owning fully fleshed out social media accounts but they won’t be real… they will be 100% AI.

3 Likes

Yeah, I tried that a while ago, it would not let me

Still, you should be able to find it fairly easily

It is on the YouTube channel “GDC”, it is called “why some people play mmo’s alone”

It is possible, but I don’t believe AI is the future because it works better as a search function and requires someone else’s input to function. Which a lot of malicious software is running and operating codes that it has been programmed to use, that which standard AI could not counteract.

I think we will be so lucky to have any kind of online presence without risk of severe penetrations and attacks of individuals and corporations in the future.

“Mr. Anderson, you ready to join group?”

They’re really needs to be an in-game way for like-minded players to be able to find each other and to guild/group together.

Currently the game doesn’t give you any of that, it’s all trial and error, and just barking on trade channel, and getting barrage with automatic guild invites.

1 Like

Raiding and Dungeons are a very small part of an MMO though. I didn’t say they don’t need to be included. I just said they are a thing of the past. Raids are a part of old MMO history not the future.

ARPGs are online single player games. D2, PoE etc these games are all online single player games. There is an entire market built on single player online games. I’ve also already stated above why.

I would say achievements and titles, but transmogs should be available for everyone, as too many casuals love transmogging.

Companies like Blizzard now have decades of in-game human interactions to use for AI training. At some point, the AI algorithms are going to have a breakthrough (it’s only a matter of time) and that historical interaction data will be a gold mine.

Imagine a game that understands what you want from it better than you do… and then it provides it. Someone yelling at you and pumping up your ego after you ganked what you thought was another player. Providing that skilled raider to a hard luck guild. Being a friend to someone that is lonely.

A gold mine.

And ironically, if it works, we will never know.

5 Likes

what other content do you see in MMOs outside PvP, PvE (dungeons/Raids), world building (professions)?

yes path of exile is a single player “mmo” based on survival. Sure one could argue that its a successful MMO at what it does. WoW was not built as a survival MMO.

It would be akin to starting off as McDonalds, then trying to be Taco Bell and trying to sell burritos in a burger joint. You do what you have experience in , and what you’re good at.

“I know it doesn’t affect me in any way whatsoever, I just want to make sure their gaming experience sucks, thereby reminding everyone that the reason group content sucks is ME and my buddies.”

2 Likes

Not looking it up but it probably has a common reason listed.

MMO’s can put out good worlds/lore/stuff some like. THat SP has not put out. Or can’t…due to IP issues.

WoW has its niche part of fantasy. Gameworkshop has theirs with its old world fanstasy (plus rights to make tolkien tabletop). D and D (or whoever owns it, i’ve lost track tbh) claims its piece of the pie. and all 3 have owners who will happily send lawyers if you get too similar lol.

Many space SP games have tried to kill Eve. Failed too. star citizen has been what eve fears…as far back as 2010 that i recall. When I first heard rumors of eve is dying to SC. its 2024 now.

CCP devs and pearl abyss meddling at this point would be the killer of eve, not this long running crowd funding scam. They make some wth calls, I won’t even sugar coat that lol.

MMO means Massive Multiplayer Online… Without players means Solo. You want solo not an MMO. Of course, you will never be satisfied as a Solo on MMO becoz there’s tons of multiplayer stuffs that you cant do on Solo.

I think the best thing is to have all the options. Follower dungeons so that you can go in with any class and experiment with what works. Delves to just do little puzzles and what not. Then dungeons for gearing up or getting through something quick, quick, quick. Then the world and cities with people going around doing things to sort of fill up the world. I think each of these things has their place.

1 Like

All in all you’re just another brick in the wall…

1 Like