I've Realized that What Makes MMOs FUN is NOT Playing with Other People

Some of you have no clue what an MMO is and should be. Playing with other people is not the crux of an MMO. Being in a persistent world with other people also interacting with that world is.

In fact, instanced content is contrary to everything an MMO stands for. If you think doing dungeons, raids, battlegrounds, etc. with other people constitutes an MMO then you are just plain wrong. Instanced content takes away the “Massive” and reduces your world to whatever number of players are in that instance with you. If your main source of time in WoW is spent in dungeons, battlegrounds or raids then it’s YOU that MMOs are not for because you’re treating WoW like a glorified lobby game and ignoring the actual world or the massive amount of people in that world.

2 Likes

I had fun with follower dungeons in DragonFlight but the AI was weird at times.

Why are they always jumping all over the place? Do they still do this in TWW?

Hey Druid healer… yeah you Treehumper or whatever your cow name is, see the dead mage over there? Druids do get a battle rez right? I know that your AI wont ever let you use it on me so why not help the other bot off the floor with it? Nope? just gonna let him lay there useless the entire fight?

Dance with me! Aww yeah!

Does the healer not brez? Seems fixable.

The pally tank sure knows how to Divine Shield and/or Lay on Hands.

I’ve noticed that the tank has picked up the pace in the new dungeons.

To make it even more fun, if you /cheer and /dance with the NPCs, they also cheer and dance with you. This includes Brann in Delves.

2 Likes

I’ve been a solo player for most of 2006-2024. I would do dungeons when they were a couple expansions old and I could solo them. Love the follower dungeons. It adds more content I can do.

I don’t worry about the gear level and add-on requirements of content I don’t do. The game rewards me with gear/level I need. I can buy Wow tokens and by some better gear if I want.

I don’t have to “get good” as they say. Nobody would want me in their group anyway. My pet would probably growl and wipe the group. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I agree 100%, being able to enjoy all of an expansions content and story while its on going would be great. I’ve grown tired of having to wait a few expansions until I can solo raids.

Its not like the vast majority of players do anything in group content except constantly complain and yell at everyone else or just stay silent. Compared to this follower dungeons are a step up from the average group finder party/raid.

1 Like

Honestly wouldn’t be opposed to a follower dungeon gear set that got better as you progressed through the content to give the dungeons a scaling option.

May as well cater to single player audiences if they’re going to pay a sub. Just make it so the gear only works in that content.

Playing alone is boring imo, playing with randoms can go either way, but playing with friends is the best :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Truthfully it’s playing with other people (who are not your friends)

It used to be different.

I used to tank quite a lot for groups. I queued up for the finder just to be a great tank for people. If people aggroed stuff (back then it was mostly accidental), i would always back track to help them. I would chill and wait for the healer to do their business before moving onto another group, and I always felt that if someone died, no matter the reason, I tried to do better. I cared about other people, and it felt good, because they actually respected that patience and care.

I don’t know when it all flew south, but something went terribly wrong. It’s been a few expansions since i’ve done tanking, and it’s horrendous. People are inpatient, and do not seem to care at all about other members. What even happened?

I tanked for a few dungeons with TWW and it was not the same at all. DPS were wild, and I get yelled at for not aggroing the entire instance all the way up to the boss.

It’s not enjoyable anymore, and i’m glad that follower dungeons are a thing.

3 Likes

To summarize:

• Players do enjoy playing with friends.
  • Players do NOT enjoy playing with jerks.
  • Players will avoid groups of other players if it allows them to avoid the jerks.
  • Uncertainty over other players leads to them seeking out the certainty of solo options.

The problem is that WoW has historically been an environment where jerks and other “bad actors” can thrive. Highly competitive, anonymity of online play, extreme power disparity due to uncontrolled stat inflation, and so on.

Coupled with other games genuinely being “greener on the other side”, it means a lot of the better behaved players have already left the game for something better suited for them.

It’ll be nothing but band-aids on a losing battle until Blizz rewrites the game design’s fundamental precepts.

3 Likes

Both of the replies miss my point, and ironically actually prove my point.

Nothing compares to having a great dungeon group of people, but as some people have very erratic schedules, this is a nice way to also play. This is an MMO but I will credit Blizzard for at least creating a balance so that everyone can enjoy most aspects of the game.

I agree. Nothing is worse than grouping with a bunch of sweaty try-hards acting like they have something to prove in a 20 year old mmo.

1 Like

I hear you, but most of the gripes about running dungeons with other people can be solved by joining a good guild of like-minded people. Look for the guilds with players that have been playing since launch or any of the earlier expansions and older players.

1 Like

If I wasn’t playing with other people, I would just stick with single player games, they are infinitely better at solo play lol.

I sorta agree, they should expand on solo play more so far its a nice start but follower dungeons, story mode raids, and delves should be expanded more but give gear no higher than normal mode raiding. For players like me I do like getting high level heroic gear and doing group content with my guild because I trust them more than some random.

I feel with issue such as toxicity and tank/healer shortage I’ve noticed a few things:

1. There’s no strategy, just zerging. We no longer have to crowd control mobs anymore. As a tank I would direct which mobs would get CCed but now that’s out the window

2. Even with a strategy in mind people just don’t give a #$%^ about winning your even see it in PvP, they just want to play never to play to win

3. This last point is more indicative of internet at large but it’s prevalent in WoW. People behind the keyboard are just toxic to a point where you just don’t want to play anymore.

The good news is in this expansion we can do a lot of things solo now including story mode raiding they just need to expand more on it

1 Like

I still don’t see why there has to be a cap on gear. I think if you put in the time any content could reward the highest level of gear doesn’t matter if it’s Solo or in Groups. It’s an RPG just because it’s an MMORPG doesn’t mean it has to always follow antiquated rules of the last 20 years.

I think it’s time for MMO’s to grow again and Solo content is how we grow. I also think you can make it challening and also reward the highest levels of gear.

5 Likes

its probably because the wow player base views their fellow player as a hindrance rather than a boon. this goes all the way back to vanilla where in the game systems actively punished you for being in groups with people. you only grouped when it was absolutely necessary and that was few and far in-between.

I think its good that most games these days are opening the doors for solo play as an actual game play style. Theres still group requiring activities but sometimes you just dont want to engage with the people part of the community though still want to have some meaningful progress for an hour or two.

2 Likes

real talk in here