I've Realized that What Makes MMOs FUN is NOT Playing with Other People

Mhm, Moonguard. You know, goldshire memes. All that jazz.

It is frankly impossible to find people who play on my schedule on my server, spent years trying to make that happen before, and I’m not in a hurry to investigate x-realm guilds. Plus, honestly, I’m not sure I want more interwebs friends.

1 Like

I really understand wanting to do things by yourself because you get to go at your own pace.

But when the game requires you to do the dungeon or raid, and you don’t have friends/guildies to help, it is a roll of the dice on whether you’ll be playing with other people who can make doing a dungeon/raid either fall between “We can do this team!” or “Silence is golden just keep up please” making it a decent experience.

Or wind up in the worst situation where everything turns messier and stinkier then a heap of dead fish and garbage left out in the sun and you’d rather get a deserter buff then deal with the group you’re with.

The deserter buff may stink, but honestly, for ones own sanity and enjoyment take it.

2 Likes

I agree and without any hate to the top end players.

However, I have no desire to play at that level.
It reminds me why I hated New Worlds end game.
I’m a weirdo I know this, I like people around but equally I like solitude, as in IRL as in games. The moment I can’t turn you all off, is when I quit WoW ho ho ho

3 Likes

I had this experience the other day.

I had queued for my first dungeon run at ~late 78. The tank was a 72 druid. I hadn’t done this dungeon yet; I queued for it because I had a quest and figured it would help get me close to topping off my toon at 80. (Oh and I’m pretty sure the dungeon was intended to be 75-80).

The tank literally just ran in and pulled every group up to the first boss.

Me: “wtf? if we had pulled two packs in Deadmines we would have wiped back in the day.” And the tank continued this behavior for every boss.

I realize that WoW (the gameplay) is friendlier now than back in vanilla, and I think in many ways this is good. But I couldn’t learn the dungeon, couldn’t learn hardly anything about what was going on - just “hurry up and keep up or you’ll miss stuff”.

Can’t say I disagree with OP.

2 Likes

choosing to play the game as a “solo player” doesn’t grant any special rights or privileges.

1 Like

We just want decent content for the end game.

2 Likes

good news, you have it!

if what the game offers isn’t good enough, you may want to consider that you’ve selected the wrong game for your chosen playstyle.

i don’t play need for speed and complain there aren’t enough airplanes in it.

100% agree. If it ain’t people complaining ur not running 10000mph, people mass report if you are just minding you business gathering herbs or mining nodes.

2 Likes

Bully for you, brother. I’ll remind you that this game is billed as soloable, and even that Raid or Die Ion says so.

3 Likes

Not everyone has boys they can run with. Until you find “that” guild or have friends you play with, dude’s assertion isn’t wrong.

1 Like

I think the absolute best time ive had in theis game is when im in a group of like minded players and we are all enjoying the game together!

Playing solo dosent even come close.

However, Playing solo is far superior than having to play with some impatient narcissist who makes the entire experience un-fun.

I wish we didnt need solo play options, but I am glad they exist.

3 Likes

something ironic about a known forum troll discussing that enjoyment from a game doesn’t come from other players.

Even though trolls fundamentally rely on engagement from other people to justify the sad way they spend their time.

Ah well, trolls don’t have any logical consistency, so :shrug:

Most fun I’ve ever had in this game has been playing with other people, and it’s not even close.

You forgot their 3 wives and 2 “Partners” that need the same time as video games too.

:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’ve played LOTRO for 4 years, and enjoyed it thoroughly by simply going through old content as if it was a Singleplayer game.
I’ve played WOW for 11 years, and while the majority of my gametime is on this lovely lady, the rest is replaying old content alone.

2 Likes

Solo players’ subscription fees spend just as well as tryhard raiders’ fees, but the solo players don’t need teams of developers watching raids to hotfix exploits.

A small number of horrible experiences ruin a large number of good experiences.

If you have a pleasant stroll down the sidewalk 300 times at night, and on the 301st you get mugged, you’re probably going to do that differently afterwards.

3 Likes

We could certainly use Devs who don’t trash the whole game because some are exploiting group content…

1 Like

I’d like to see them made available for Heroics. Mythics is pushing it.

It’s nice to be able to get an extra pull or two in and not have the group immediately vote-kick you for not doing the least amount of work possible to complete the dungeon quickly as possible.

Say nothing of actual full-on mistakes. Your AI companions won’t vote-kick you and smear you on the forums for those, either.

There are still good people in this community, but one rotten apple spoils a bunch all too easily. My SO would love to heal a dungeon, I’d love to tank one on my alts… but we’d never, EVER, everrrr do any of that in LFG. Guild groups, sure… when you can get one.

3 Likes

I like ff14 dungeon design. It’s simple and effective also a lot harder. Those dawntrail dungeons were no joke at times

I mostly agree, but I’ve always kinda realized this. And MMOs are fun with other people if they are close friends. I play another MMO game with close buds I know irl and we have a great time because we already know each other.

MMO group content in WoW is often gatekept by toxic beta male frat boy culture, and a lot of people might clash with that personality type or not get along with that type, and even if they are not that type- they can be an a-hole regardless.

I don’t think WoW community is as toxic as people make it out to be necessarily, but all it takes is one person in a group being rude to you to ruin your mood and not want to play the game anymore, or the game that way anymore. Ppl would say we are being too sensitive, but I would argue that human beings are naturally sensitive, and the only thing people will remember is the way you made them feel. And well, even if I don’t feel like being kind to others or playing with others, I can always be kind to myself lol.

Where I disagree with you is I do think ppl who do group content should get higher ilvl gear rewards because working with a team and overcoming social anxiety and contrasting personality types that might be in groups is the biggest challenge of them all really, harder than any mechanic probably, so they deserve that gear for that reason… ((but uh I mean this is also the reason why PuG is overrated and when possible people should play with who they know)) I’m surprised they even added gear in the first place to follower dungeons, even though it’s low ilvl normal gear I thought they would leave it out.

2 Likes