I've Realized that What Makes MMOs FUN is NOT Playing with Other People

It seems there’s a misunderstanding here. You’re suggesting that someone who prefers playing solo in an MMORPG is playing the game incorrectly, according to your view of what an MMORPG should be. But let’s take a step back and consider the definition of an MMORPG.

At its core, an MMORPG is a game where players assume the roles of characters in a persistent world, one that continues to evolve whether or not they’re logged in. The “massively multiplayer” aspect means that many players inhabit the same world, interacting with it and with each other. However, this doesn’t mean every player has to engage in group activities all the time. In fact, part of the role-playing fantasy for many is the freedom to choose how they interact with the world—whether that’s forming alliances, crafting, gathering, exploring, or yes, even playing solo.

Solo players contribute to the world in ways that often go unnoticed but are vital to the game’s economy and community. For example, many solo players are dedicated crafters and gatherers who fulfill orders for gear, gather resources, and help stock the Auction House. Isn’t that a form of interaction with the world and other players? It might not involve direct communication or group activities, but it’s a crucial part of what keeps the game alive and dynamic.

Consider this: how many WoW players are solo players or prefer a mix of solo and group content? Compare that to the dwindling number of guilds, partially due to the difficulty of finding groups where everyone respects different playstyles. It’s important to recognize that not all solo players are opposed to group content; some simply prefer to engage with it on their own terms, perhaps joining in for specific goals like transmog runs or old content.

Now, to address a key point: the requests being made by solo players in this discussion aren’t about changing dungeons, raids, M+, or any core group content. They’re asking for more repeatable solo content, especially after the main quest line is complete. This isn’t about making the main storyline single-player only; it’s about offering additional content that they can enjoy at their own pace, without impacting the group activities that others cherish. This won’t affect your gameplay experience because these players likely wouldn’t join your groups anyway—they’re simply asking for content that aligns with their playstyle.

Moreover, expanding features like Delves to include AI-controlled party members—whether that’s players’ alts or other NPCs—could offer a fun alternative for days when you don’t have much time or when you’re not in the mood for group play. As many of us are no longer in high school, time is no longer as abundant, and flexible gameplay options are essential.

Let me share a personal story to emphasize the importance of accommodating different playstyles. When I was around 19, playing during Cataclysm, I founded a guild that quickly reached its max player cap. About 40% of our members were solo players who enjoyed being part of a lively community but preferred to play alone. I created a specific rank for these players, allowing them to join events if they wanted, but never pressuring them. One of our members, a hunter with Parkinson’s, played mostly solo due to his condition. As his Parkinson’s worsened, it became increasingly difficult for him to use a keyboard and mouse efficiently. This is why he preferred to play alone—group activities were simply too challenging for him. Yet, despite this, he still wanted to contribute to the guild. He would join our guild runs for older content, and once told me, “I’m not the best at raids or dungeons, but I’ll come and help, that’s how I contribute.” We became great friends, and I named my hunter after him when he stopped logging in, likely due to his worsening condition.

When he stopped logging in, it hit me hard. Back then, guilds were more than just a group of friends—they were like family. We didn’t just play together; we looked out for each other, checked in on each other, and built real bonds. I deeply regret never getting his phone number to check on him and see how he was doing. It’s something I think about a lot, and it serves as a reminder of the importance of community in games like this.

Expanding solo content, like Delves, wouldn’t detract from the game’s multiplayer aspects—it would keep the world populated and vibrant, creating opportunities for unexpected interactions and friendships. Even for those of us who cherish the social aspects of WoW, having options for solo play ensures that everyone can enjoy the game in their own way, contributing to a richer, more diverse community.

If you’re interested in more guild-related content, I’m actively advocating for Blizzard to revitalize and expand guild systems, something that I feel has been neglected. You can check out my post on that topic here: Revitalizing Guilds in World of Warcraft.

In the end, this discussion isn’t about taking anything away from players who love group content. It’s about adding more options for those who prefer a different approach, ensuring that WoW remains a game where everyone can find their place, whether they’re in a guild, playing solo, or anything in between.

Also, I want to remind everyone to be respectful to each other. Not all skilled players are rude, just like not all solo players are. In fact, I had an incredible experience with a random skilled player in MoP who helped me earn one of the hardest titles in the game and is the one I wanted the most in the whole game. My skill level is about midcore—I can handle heroics and low M+, but once too many things start happening on the screen, my brain goes into overload. I have to control myself, my pet, and move around, and I start having issues pressing the wrong keys and forgetting to move. But this random guy, who I was chatting with because he had the title I wanted, simply offered to help. He even streamed it for me as he helped me get one of my most cherished titles. His level of multitasking was unreal, but he was one of the nicest guys I’ve ever met.

Remember, guys, be kind to each other. We’re all members of the same community. Yes, we will encounter people who are rude, but that doesn’t mean everyone is like that. Let’s keep the community strong and supportive!

2 Likes