It seems people are losing it

1.12 AV removes 80% of the original AV’s content from the game.

Retail WoWs AV removes 80% of the original AV’s content from the game.

Why should a classic version of AV be the one where 80% of its content is missing? Shouldn’t it be the version with 100% of its content so people can ACTUALLY SEE the classic old version on a version of the game SHOWING HOW THE GAME USED TO BE?

Classic WoW. Not “what we Blizzard entertainment think classic WoW was”.

Several things here:

1. For whatever kind of unholy abomination retail might be, to my knowledge it hasn’t removed anything from AV. It is simply the unchanged version of 1.12. Using your logic, retail could be blamed/credited for every finished version of previous content.

2. As previously stated, all versions of AV within the 1.x.x timeline are Vanilla versions. Why is it the one being used? I suspect because Blizzard feels that is the one that will be played the most people overall rather than the most passionate people. Also, it’s the easiest one to reproduce, thus the cheapest and least likely to damage profit margins while also falling within the definition of Vanilla.

3. Classic WoW. Not “what some random poster on a forum thinks classic WoW was”. In the strictest terms, there are as many legitimate versions of classic WoW as there were original Vanilla patches. That means 38 if WoWWiki is to be believed and seeing as Blizzard has already stated that 1.12 is the base, that number is then reduced to 3: 1.12, 1.12.1, and 1.12.2. I suggest we go with 1.12.2 to make things easier on our spanish speaking players.

:snail:ed it.

Why make a point if you’re going to throw gross exaggeration in there?

Hmm, not really. The people who remember how it used to be are the only ones that can actually make a meaningful comparison. I’m not jumping up and down about AV myself, but if other people are, maybe they have a good reason for it.

But that’s the problem. If you set up a scenario in an mmo where people have to choose between fun and progression, most will feel pressured to choose progression (especially grouped with 39 other people and not wanting to hold them back). Getting quick wins and quick honor can be satisfying, but those little dopamine hits aren’t quite the same thing as fun.

If people who’ve experienced both sides of it say that it’s better not to force that choice on people, that the game is better off without the version of a pvp battleground that rewards bypassing pvp, I’d say there might be something to that.

1 Like

Apparently the original WoW Devs felt it needed to be changed originally and I’m guessing those same reasons still exist heading into Classic.

Whether you like it or not 1.12 is also how the game used to be.

They do have a good reason for it. That reason is personal preference. However, while players may feel a 3 day battle is better, I strongly suspect that Blizzard’s definition of better is whatever battles that draw far more players. Art vs commerce rarely ends well for art.

Again, it’s personal preference. All of those Wall Of No posters had played both Vanilla and retail and felt the current version was better than the previous. Does that give their opinion any more credibility? What about the raiding sorts who race through content to get to end game? Should they then be considered the experts on what content should be in the game? The fact that one has done something does not mean they’re an expert on it.

I get that, but AV isn’t “why” I wanted vanilla WoW. Yes, it sucks that it won’t be there, but as long as most of the rest is I’ll be OK because “the rest” is why I wanted to play to begin with.

For the record, I have no horse in this race regarding AV. I don’t plan to PvP, nor do I want to raid. But, I am in favor of re-tuning and making resource manage a thing again. I really just want the authentic Vanilla experienced preserved.

Now, that being said, you can’t just say any one patch in Vanilla is indicative of the authentic experience. You have to take the whole and “feel” it out. My fondest experiences was MC/Scholo/Strath as of 1.1/1.2. but I’m not fooling myself to say that’s any better than 1.12.

The authentic Vanilla experience isn’t black and white as you suggested. It’s all one big grey area. But again, the authentic Vanilla experience needs to be examined as a whole, not just one patch.

And the more I read, the more I realize that very few people had authentic Vanilla in mind. They just wanted what suited them and only themselves. Which in my mind, is only sightly better than Retail players coming in and asking for guild banks.

Like you, I have no horse in the AV race. My comments regarding the patch was that there were 38 authentic versions of Vanilla and while none of them perfectly summarizes the Vanilla experience, each one is more authentic than a Frankenpatch. For example, 1.12.1 was one iteration of Vanilla. It was far from the only one, but it was one that everybody can point to and say from one date to another that was the actual state of Vanilla. 1.5 was also another actual state of Vanilla, but it’s no more or less authentic than 1.12.1 unless you want to go by which particular patch lasted the longest in which case I believe 1.12.2 is the longest lasting at 66 days.

My frustration with the whole situation isn’t that people are upset about 1.12 being chosen instead of 1.5. It’s all of these “I’m not going to play Classic now” and “Blizzard has destroyed Classic with this decision” posts along with the fact that everybody seems to feel the need to start their own thread. I’m all for passion, but this is a bit over the top.

And what do you imagine pushing back against people who are speaking out passionately will result in?

What I want and what I imagine will happen are two totally different things. What I want is for somebody to lay out a reasonable fact based argument on why 1.5 is objectively better when all I’ve seen is people stating personal preferences as universal truths. What I imagine will happen is that people will just yell louder because that’s what happens when they don’t get their way.

Also, while it’s possible that we see things differently, I don’t think somebody threatening to not play is speaking out passionately. I see it as a snit and I treat it with the disdain that I feel it deserves.

I’m looking forward to the Halo Master Chief edition coming to steam. Halo 1 through Halo 4. Finally for PC master race.

I actually have that as well it was the reason i got the xbox when i did but i have never had to urge to play it as much as i thought i would though.

1.12 MC/scholo/strath has 0% of it’s content removed vs the original versions.

1.12 AV has 80% of it’s content removed vs the original version.

You mean the same devs that added:
LFR
LFD
Flying
Cross-server
CRZ
Sharding
etc etc?

You mean the same things that caused people to PETITION, SCREAM, CRIE, AND BEG FOR VANILLA BECAUSE THEY DON’T WANT THOSE THINGS IN THEIR MMO?

Why should a “Classic” version of AV use the version that’s missing 80% of the content of original AV? How does that make ANY sense?

Like I’ve said many times, if you do not understand that classic is supposed to be a time capsule back to the past of how Vanilla WOW was long ago and not how blizzard “envisions Vanilla”, you should not be posting on these forums.

Well, that’s just, like, your opinion, man…

I
M

L
O
S
I
N
G

I
T

:crazy_face:

:see_no_evil:

1 Like

If you don’t agree with me 100% you shouldn’t be voicing your opinion.

:^)

1 Like

Shrug. I’m just trying to be impartial here. I loved the original scholo/strath. But most people weren’t around for it. I want Classic to feel authentic. But, if i’m against 1.12, then i should be against the patch that I want too. In all fairness, it should “feel” like a patch somewhere in between.

Actually no, many of the Devs that made those decisions were no longer working on WoW when those things were brought in. The guys that changed AV and the guys that did CRZ and Sharding were completely different crews.

And I understand just exactly what it is supposed to be, but just because you think Vanilla should be a certain patch doesn’t mean it should be or has to be so. You are not God’s gift to all things Vanilla.

Okay trying to read this thread and the “How are they surprised? They said 1.12 was the base” keeps coming up and up and up.

Did you guys even read/listen to Blizzard? They stated it was the base, the BASE. Not the singular patch. Under that logic then we should have everything released right off the bat.

They specifically stated they were unsure what they were going to do originally be it a single patch, a franken patch or progressive. They chose something other. They used a single patch base and then asked what we felt made it what it was.

They are asking if we want 5 or 10 man versions of UBRS etc. Based on this ignorance of other statements using the same logic, we cannot have the 10man version because base 1.12 it was 5 man!

Sorry was trying to read through but that got repeated so much it got annoying and I had to respond.