It is Time to Ban WoW Addons

Let’s discuss all of the positive things addons have done that you conveniently left out of your post.

1. Assists new players with keybinds, especially players that are new at PC gaming.
  2. Enhance the RP community.
  3. Assists disabled players, especially players who are legally blind.
  4. Organizes chat channels.
  5. Allows players to create more backstory for their characters.
  6. Assists players that have a hard time hearing/seeing with addons like GTFO to raid, play in dungeons, etc.
  7. Adds challenge to completist players who like to find all treasures, rares, etc.
  8. Gives players options to customize their UI.
  9. Allows RPers to create and exchange items for campaigns.
  10. Upset players like you.
5 Likes

If you knew anything about programming addons, you’d know that the addons are harmless to your computer seeing as how they run in the wow app, using wow as their sandbox.

My computer has never been compromised by anything I’ve downloaded from curse before they got bought out by overwolf. I refuse to use the overwolf client due to their history.

I have never been compromised from wowhead. This is because as a software engineering student I know enough to know to run a proper ad blocker and to edit my hosts file.

I assume you have no email accounts, you never buy anything online, you don’t have any social media accounts, or gaming accounts, or bank accounts with e-banking, you don’t use online portals for your medical care, you pay with cash, don’t have credit cards or loans or anything, and you make your own medicine at home?

Because my information was not compromised by wowhead, it was compromised by the Equifax leak along with hundreds of millions of others.

Oh, and the yahoo hack. And there was that one data breach on some service that a lot of web services use including Discord a while back. Oh, and the time Apple, and Facebook, and Discord gave data to hackers posing as police.

But none of that is a bigger threat than wowhead and lua files that you can open up in notepad or atom or whatever and read the source code of, and run in a sandbox.

3 Likes

To be fair, no, I don’t do a lot of those things. I always go to my bank in person. I do use cash a lot. I don’t buy things from many sites online, just the odd one like Amazon mostly. I wont install Discord into my PC, I have it on a tablet. Honestly I do very little online, usually tell people I don’t have email. My phone is an Iphone 4 that does nothing but text/phone calls lol. I just don’t trust many things, including why I don’t open emails or answer calls from people I don’t know :stuck_out_tongue: The 1 time, a very long time ago back in Cataclysm when I tried to use Curse, the email I used to signup with had a warning that someone tried to access it. I immediately uninstalled it, and never ended up getting an addon.

Not trying to persuade you, just adding to: I have used Overwolf since it first started (for WoW, not before) and have had no compromises or anything weird. That said, I do open it only when I need it, and close it fully as soon as I am done.

2 Likes

You can if they are doing it on purpose.

No, you can’t. People can play as an Ice Mage all they want. Your only recourse is to kick them.

1 Like

There was several hacks regarding guns just released today.

Is your bank paper only or do they keep electronic files? Do they offer online banking.

That data isn’t safe.

That means that your data is on the discord database and you have an account. That can be hacked. An email address is often all that is needed to doxx.

You have an apple account, I assume. I assume you don’t go to an apple store or carrier store to pay cash. That’s in danger.

Old phone. Probably not getting security patches anymore. That’s hackable.

Apple devices aren’t hack proof. I had a fraternity brother ask me to fix his Mac because he noticed emails that he didn’t send were bouncing back to him.

I get phishing text messages all the time.

Correlation doesn’t apply causation.

If you have ever used that email anywhere at any time for anything, there’s a risk it got harvested in some data breach.

I rarely get those notifications. When I do, it’s usually me logging in from one of my own devices.

But hackers are going to get your email address if you use it anywhere. And sometime somewhere someone is going to try and get in. It happens. This is why you change your password occasionally and use two factor logins whenever possible.

Im on minimal addons with no custom ui. I am not really dependent on them. When a new overhaul on the game’s UI which will happen on DF, i wont be affected that much. I would have no downtime. I would be able to play right away.

Good luck to you, guys.

Addons being broken at the beginning of an expansion hasn’t really been a thing in a decade or more. All/almost all addon creators are in the alpha/beta and have more than enough time to update things so that people can have working addons the moment of launch (technically before).

Through the ‘clique’ method where you have to click on their model and hope there’s no collision or click on their thingy up in the top left corner then drag your mouse in a specific direction to indicate a spell. Which is what I’d said is not a good method for some folks, like myself, cause my hands can get shaky at times when under stress

Raid frames as far as I am aware. Check for edit, I am gonna go see if I can find the info…

edit: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/23783586/enhance-your-gameplay-more-accessibility-updates-available

My vision, when uncorrected, is 20/400 lol, I’m in that boat if I don’t have glasses on or contacts (yaaay near sightedness lol)

The Unit frames were what I was refering too, on large monitors and the fact that you can only have one ‘focused’ it pulls them out of where my eyes naturally look on the screen. Then there’s the mouse over/macro which still require you to have specific macros set up according to that (and that’s a problem in it’s self to set up for most folks) and while it is nice it seems they’ve set that to be more like healbot casting style than Clique, there’s still issues of ability to access needed data/info with that minor improvement (debuffs don’t always show on unit frames in the top left, nor does it give you color indicators of debuff type/woundedness of your partymembers)

Yeah, I still prefer addons, but I do think they are making an effort to put some things in game for people who don’t like addons. It’s a start, eh? :slight_smile:

1 Like

yeah, it’s a start and hopefully they continue it or maybe reach out to some of these add on designers and offer them a job/offer to buy their addon code to add into the game directly

1 Like

Well then, how much of a performance difference is acceptable?

This is simply untrue by both angles. Both in terms of people’s willingness to hide malicious downloads as mods (although this used to be a much bigger problem years ago, I still remember my old raid guild’s bank getting cleared out because someone hid a keylogger as a mod) and people’s willingness to hide malicious code in mods. Saying something is 100% secure is an incredibly stupid thing to say just because so, so much malware is out there that exists purely as a tribute to the hubris of people saying that exact thing. People used to say 2FA made your account virtually unhackable. People found a way around it. There are very real limitations on what LUA scripting and WoW’s sandbox allows, but that’s not to say you can’t harvest useful information from it. Just that there’s no traditional method to, say, run a mod that allows a third party to exert administrative level control over your game.

Just googling, “WoW addon malicious code” nets you plenty of examples. It might be fairly benign relative to, say, Genshin Impact granting the developers kernel level access but it’s still malware.

Well not standing in the fire constantly and/or wiping the raid constantly would be good enough for me. If you can do that without addons, then that is a-ok.

1 Like

No. How much of an improvement in player performance from using third party mods do you think is acceptable? 5%? 10? If using a mod flat out improves my performance in game by 20%, is that acceptable? If my raiding guild spends on average 15% less time on progression encounters because they can learn the fights faster when mods remove most guess work, is that acceptable?

I don’t think there is any way to reliably measure that, so I am not sure what you are looking for. Skill performance is going to vary between people for a lot of reasons, it may not necessarily even have anything to do with what addons someone does or does not use.

you should save this entire post to throw back at people who cry about addons and viruses.

1 Like

funny story there about .equifax…maybe it applied to you too.

US Gov. workers after OPM (government HR for those who don’t know) breach where given a free access to equifax as a consolation prize.

yes we leaked important data. use this for free credit checking for a year or so.

then the equifax was hacked. Comedians can’t write good material like this, really.

Me personally. 2 VA data leaks, I know of, OPM. MY data is out there. Not much left for an add on to add to that.

OPM data knows the name of my boss from 16 years ago.

VA is my military records. they can know the name of my platoon commander back in 98.

Whoever buys that data will know it too.

The punchline there? I can’t remember any of those names lol.

2 Likes