It is Time to Ban WoW Addons

Screw that sequence square thing, half the time it doesn’t make sense, it also can soft lock it’s self, and is not an intuitive puzzle in the slightest, that one puzzle is the ENTIRE reason the ZM Puzzle Helper exists, especially with how hard a time some of us have just making out the details clearly cause it’s light glowy on light background

I see you pulled out your guildless level 10 for this post. That’s just one step above from posting on a blank classic toon with a 404’d armory.

If they nuked them alongside combat add-ons, I wouldn’t blink. However, it doesn’t stop me from admitting that there’s a lot of stuff WoW doesn’t have that many modern games do, which is why I’d said I’d like to see a lot more integrated features into WoW. The disabled, in particular, could definitely use them. WoW could also use way better combat tells, but definitely not everything on boss encounters.

Pardon me for saying, but I kind of expected this response. I simply find it amazing that so many people in GD never require add-ons for running with players, yet when you log into WoW, or newcomers discuss running M+, the reverse is far more prominent.

Please, don’t take this as me being patronizing towards you, nor am I implying the equally terrible “you’re one of the good ones” sentiment. What I’m saying is, this is not the prevalent belief nor practice in WoW, and it’s having an adverse effect on many, many players.

Previously, my stance on add-ons was simply “I don’t need them”. After all these years, I feel they’re doing far more harm, and “not just using them yourself” plays into the open elitism and alienation of the overall community. Just my opinion.

They are also the UI designers. And they haven’t updated functionality healers need because addons do it better.

Difficulty aside, the addons healers use have a lot to do with the gameplay - the feel of playing a healer. It’s not just about it being easier, it’s less convoluted in terms of the mechanics of healing - how you set up your bars and keybinds.

Yes, some addons make some encounters easier, but addons also make the game better, and modernize the game UI in a way that Blizz is slow to do. They also tend to do it better than when Blizz gets around to appropriating them.

Many addons make a game that is running what is an outdated UI actually playable for many of us. I would wager that goes double for most healers.

1 Like

Well, you are entitled to believe as you wish. Doesn’t phase me. Why in the world would require something that has almost zero value in M+ though? If we were discussing raiding, you’d have a point, but not on M+.

I mean I know a lot of people run WA. Personally I find it too distracting so I don’t use it… so why would I expect someone to use something I don’t, DBM is completely unnecessary at least up to 17s.

I just rarely-to-never have this bad experience the forums seem to say exists so I have a really hard time believe it is true.

When a new M+ player is asking for tips to be successful I’ll recommend weakauras, but in no way does that mean I require them. All I require of a pug is a score that displays their ability to do the key I have listed, I don’t care what addons they have. That said, most of the people above 15s are probably running weakauras, or a similar addon like TellMeWhen.

2 Likes

Not all addons needs to be banned, but I think Combat addons like DBM should, Weak Auras etc.
It is really dumb joining a raid and raid leader asking if you have addons installed then getting all those screens timers warnings from NPC’s, this kills the game and me as a casual player do not want to do that kind of content because it is more and more difficult.

I can say that people who raid does not really know how to raid, they just follow what the addon says until they remember how to do it after many wipes.

2 Likes

That’s a good point. I may recommend xyz if people ask what would be helpful. Nothing is required though.

DBM and weakauras are information addons, not combat addons. They only give you the information, it’s still up to the player to respond to the information provided.

3 Likes

^

There are no “combat addons”. That would be a bot. Bots are not addons. Bots break the ToS.

THIS is the most common, virtually daily outcome for players in modern WoW. The people who haven’t seen nor heard it uttered ONCE, are either amongst tight knit friends, are honestly oblivious to what’s going on, or are being openly deceptive.

I support this as well.

The game is not more difficult because of addons, the game is more difficult because players are better now than they were 5 or 10 years ago.

Anduin’s Blasphemy mechanic is a good example. It’s the same - except harder - mechanic that Mythic Star Augur had.

When Star Augur was current, people figured out a way to display info on friendly health bars to help do it. Blizzard deactivated friendly health bars in raids in response - which is still in effect to this day.

Anduin’s Heroic mechanic - Heroic mind you, not Mythic - is like the Mythic-only Star Augur mechanic, except:

1. It’s harder
  2. It affects more people
  3. There are no addons that can help you

But there it is, anyway. On Heroic. And not because of addons.

Sorry i like addons i don’t use many but would miss the ones I have.

And regarding Ions’ comment about addons being the reason for harder raid i call bs , its more about his ego trying to make the unbeatable raid IMO. Ion is everything that’s wrong with wow , i just hope Blizzard/Activision/MS see that before it is too late for the game.

2 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I don’t like being on camera
I don’t like talking to people (interviews)
I don’t like sports
I like doing whatever I want to do (that “wear a suit” nonsense ain’t gonna fly with me)
I like waking up whenever I want and going to sleep whenever I want

Yes.

I like wow more than Basketball

But it’s still a game.

Yup, on this entirely, my OG playstyle is resto sham, I have been playing it on and off since Cata, and discovering an addon called ‘healbot’ was a god send.

It doesn’t heal for me, what it does do though

• gives me a much more visible hp status of my team
  • has sections for the dps/healers/tank that are clearly divided and easy to notice
  • has colors depending on current HP percent
  • has colors for different debuffs, but only debuffs you can actually dispell
  • allows for ‘click healing’ on party members without using the horrible in game targetting systems
  • allows for all manner of button/click combos, so I still have to organize and set up, but having m1/middle/right clicks and ‘modifier’ keys for additional spells with those same clicks is much more intuitive for me than say the ‘clique’ method of click/drag a direction, especially when my hands start getting shaky
  • lets me place the info where I want on the screen so it’s not off in the top right of a 29" monitor but closer to the center where I can ACTUALLY see it

Thing like this make the game much better, and seeing people want things that make the game reasonable/enjoyable for others is just…gobsmacking. Seriously, if you take away addons like this, healers would now have to use their a-bars entirely for healing, and then people like the OP would probably start crying about healers not ‘doing enough damage’ when they are being clotheslined by the ABYSMAL state of the UI/controls currently available

3 Likes

Basic functions of healbot should be integrated in the game already.

1 Like

Things being added to the game and addons existing are not mutually exclusive. Also I think they did (or are) add click to cast in the default UI.

Cat is way, way too far out the bag. They would have to rewrite their interface language and at that point you might as well make a new game. It would also kill off a large part of the community that plays purely to perfect their LUA.

1 Like

See, this is why they burned your tree.

4 Likes

Best response in the thread. I am out of likes for the day, but pretend I gave you one.

3 Likes