It is Time to Ban WoW Addons

Ah yes.

They offered to let people have a free year or several years of LifeLock after the Equifax leak.

I chose to decline any sort of settlement so I have the right to sue on my own should someone with my info open up an account or loan in my name.

The Equifax leak means I will be at risk for the rest of my life. A few years of LifeLock isn’t going to cut it.

Though come to think of it, I did legally get my name changed for unrelated reasons so they’d be using my dead name and I’m not sure the credit agencies will accept those because, that’s not my name.

I’m about to change my phone number after like twenty years. It will make it even harder to try to phish for more info.

In FFXIV? That is straight up griefing.

It’s 100% not considered griefing. I mean feel free to report it, but I’ve been playing for 8 years and it has never been an actionable offense to play ice mage.

You’re forgetting something important: Social Security numbers are insanely insecure. Aside from it only being nine numbers, the first three are a state code (so you only need to guess one of fifty) and the next two are also incredibly easy to guess, and last four are ordered in sequence.

The weakest link in the Equifax leaks wasn’t that someone’s password was ‘password123’ but that the data contained within was inherently insecure. Because once upon a time your SS number wasn’t supposed to be an ID. And it was devised prior to the internet. You don’t have to actually do anything to have your SS number stolen because it would be trivial to guess what someone’s SS number is as long as you knew where and when they were born.

I have never heard of FFXIV banning players for bad play. Telling people they need to play their entire job and not the two button rotation they want to play is a reportable offense though. Or at least that’s what the TOS makes it sound like. Someone broadcasting the fact they’re griefing will get you banned, but it’s really hard to sort between people who are playing badly, and people who are trolling.

Like, back in Heavensward there was a guy named Lazier Siero. Only reason I even mention his name is because he stopped playing in heavensward. He became the subject of a meme because he stubbornly refused to wear a shield, as the tank. It’d be like a Paladin tank in WoW not wearing a shield. Why? He insisted he was actually DPS. Dude’s profile on the FFXIV website still shows his paladin not wearing a shield. The problem? We can’t actually tell if he was trolling or if he was just that bad.

Again. Where did you get your compsci / software engineering degree?

This sounds an awful lot like fake news to me. What addon was it?

How do you know it wasn’t their visit to some photo and video website inappropriate for children? Or clicking a bad link on Facebook or in email? Or that this person didn’t engage in account sharing/RMT/botting and got done dirty by that shady stuff?

Please explain oh great expert who clearly knows more than someone who has literally written a few addons and is majoring in the subject how a non-executable text file with a lua extension running in a sandbox is going to steal your password and social security number and credit card numbers.

And?

Okay. So one time a while ago, the guy maintaining Altoholic (not the current guy who is the author, a guy who took it over when the author quit) got in a spat with one of the Total RP3 devs.

He changed the code of Altoholic to overwrite TRP3’s data file.

People noticed. Fast. And they called that out. The guy uploaded a fix very quickly. The original author came back and I think did a takedown to get the addon taken off curse and started updating it on his own.

It took a while longer for people to catch the dumb that was in elvUI or tukUI or whatever it was. Dev was dumb. Dev got put on blast. It was dealt with.

If an addon was secretly sending copies of all messages sent in wow to some character, I’m pretty sure it would get noticed, and probably in a reasonable time frame.

Then again why would you be whispering your social security number, drivers license number, credit card number, or anything super private on wow where Blizzard can look at your text whenever they want?

I’m done with your nonsense and your nonsense campaign to ban addons when you haven’t killed a single raid boss above LFR this entire expansion.

Bye.

you are not my mom or dad so how about no?

1 Like

Of course you chat with someone first and try to help them. But a frost mage is griefing. You are trained about how your class works. It does not matter as much in dungeons because even a healer carry things if need be but it still hurt sthe party. A paladin without a shield is just silly and they shoud be reported unless they honestly do not understand there are not specs in FFXIV, you job is your job and there in no room for deviation.

A lot of the functions are already inside the game, that you don’t need addons.

And even more of them are not in the game yet so people do need addons.

2 Likes

Addons are a required part of this game and will be into the future unless Blizz completely overhauls their UI (they won’t) and no, the pathetic attempt in the DF preview is laughable at best. That is the final word on the matter.

2 Likes

You think you do, but you don’t :laughing:

No i like my addons for alts lets me track where all my crap is stored and now with cross faction trading between char even better i need my Altaholics my Candy buckets my Pawns also paragon addons alow me to remember when i hit 10k for rewards

Actually, I am considering leaving the game over the addon wars. Before it was curse, then it moved to twitch. I then moved to Wowup but now some addons don’t update because some advertising thing with Curse, so I need to uninstall wowup, download Curse and set them up all over again.

Not really into doing all that mess so I may leave over it.

Yes, all the 3rd parties are fighting over each other for the ads profit. really a mess.

1 Like

Only add-ons that I see being targeted for the most part are combat add-ons. Some because it’s lead to an arms race between Blizz and the add-ons themselves, so Blizz makes more complicated fights, add-ons trivialize those, so Blizz adds even more convoluted mechanics and so on. Other ones are damage meters simply because while they are a great tool for helping you figure out what you are doing, they are used in a toxic way by some players and while yes that’s a player issue, I don’t see any other way of dealing with it other than breaking them.

Or you could just punish toxic behavior if it’s bad enough.

If I’m using a hammer to fix something in my home, as is the hammer’s intended use, I am doing nothing wrong. If I suddenly look at you and bonk you on the hand with my hammer and break your finger, is it the hammer’s fault? Should the hammer be banned? No, I should be banned, and / or arrested because I just used this garden variety home improvement / repair tool to bonk you on the hand, and it hurt.

Damage meters don’t need to be broken. If people are being harassed (and I mean harassed, not told ‘hey, we need your numbers up’) over something so silly as a damage breakdown / meter, then the offending party should be handled. Not the tool itself.

The game would have to be crazy easy to get rid of addons, like Molten Core levels of easy.