It is Time to Ban WoW Addons

Here’s a new idea - guilds disbanding because of add ons. Let me know your source on this one, I’d like to see the stats.

Casual raiding happens in casual guilds. If there are enough people playing (which there currently aren’t) then casual raiding will happen. And trust me when I say, without my add ons I would not have been able to do that when I was raiding because, being a casual, I didnt have the knowledge of raids that more dedicated raiders do. By removing add ons you would actually effectively even further reduce casuals participating in raids.

I read through that article and I cannot see anywhere he said that. He spoke about the use of add ons, and the difference between informational and computational add ons - the former just tells you stuff and the latter actually does stuff for you (put simplistically). They dont mind the informational stuff but probably dont like the other kind. His final words were " So no easy answers, but it’s something we’re thinking about a lot.". So he didnt say, we are going to do X, he said, we are thinking about it.

I don’t think most people would object to a built-in system like DBM in the game if it worked well. In the past they have added things that didn’t always work well, and that’s the issue.

No. Because some add ons have nothing to do with combat and everything to do with fun, eg Rematch (for pet battles and collecting), TSM (for making life easier for selling stuff, and all the other QoL things that people can pick and choose from. Just remember, everything they add to the game make it more computer-intensive. I like to control how much of my Memory gets eaten up by added tools and there is no guarantee that if they did add such things, we’d have the choice to turn them off.

3 Likes

Said it before, say it again.

the game was getting difficult anyway.

give many geeks lots of time…they will make things happen.

Ye old classic, literally, example. some people said lets go kill onyxia naked. no gear on chars. and…they did it.

tbcc…most content is farmville. Only swp remains and that is because players have asked to not nerf it sooner. they want it cleared before nerf for the cooler geek points lol.

ZA,BT…farms. people via GDKP pay to run these. there is no question its getting beat. all bosses. that is happening. to get to the bidding after lol.

complex raid came because even blizzard saw they can’t do usual tricks.

More HP! gear beats that. also played out way too much. its the lazy way to make it harder method imo. HP sponge is just cheesy as hell to me.

more mobs…same as above. and well at some point now its farmed for even more profit. oh blizzard gave it 10 more mobs? Cool…that is more money.

so it has to be mechanics. complicated mechanics.

1 Like

That’s not an addon, that’s a hack. Completely different things.

This is irrelevant to the topic. Focus on the content, not the person.

Of course, Blizzard’s mouse click function is much less efficient than Healing addons like Healbot, just like Blizzard’s dungeon journal will never be as efficient as DBM.

Blizzard devs are the dungeon/raid designers. It makes 0 sense if Blizzard designs the encounter difficulties, and at the same time also put in functions that to simplify and facilitate the encounter.

That is artificially increasing difficulty and decreasing difficulty at the same time, by the same designer.

But 3rd party doesn’t have this worry. Their addons’ sole purpose is to counter Blizzard’s design. Thus, allowing 3rd party addons is creating an eternal arms race between Blizzard devs and addons.

And of course, as you said, very few healers nowadays heal without addons. That is because current encounter difficulty is designed with addons in mind. And this difficulty makes healing with addons much more efficient than without addons.

I am sure if the dungeons difficulty is still the same as Vanilla, most healers don’t need addons at all, not even the mouse click function.

But Blizzard has to increase the difficulty because of addons. It is a never ending vicious cycle

Ok, if you want to bring up focusing on content why don’t you create a response to the above regarding playing with disabilities.

3 Likes

Because I have no answer to the playing with disabilities problem. Thus, I can’t answer.

I don’t think anyone would be opposed to WoW integrating a number of add-ons that have been helpful to disabled persons. Blizzard should have done this ages ago, especially considering how quickly they nuked their epic action camera in Legion when so many complained of motion sickness.

In addition to disability add-ons, I feel that several other add-ons should be integrated into WoW, specifically the ones for RP and transmogs.

However, I, and others, dislike add-ons aimed to trivialize instance gameplay and player agency. Even Blizzard has described the effect that some of these add-ons have had on their development of new instances.

If the dungeon difficulty is the same as vanilla, healers don’t even need keybinds. Ban all keybinds!

Yeah either that or something else. Surprise Blizz didnt do anything about it, few talk about it and all i hear is addons, etc.

So you want to dump more memory requirements on me for stuff I would never use? Keeping addons 3rd party allows everyone to download whichever addons they like. What we have is the best system.

1 Like

They ban people for using hacks. They just tend to not do it immediately because that makes it easier for their developers to change things so they can keep running it. Blizzard tends to take several months to really figure things out and then do a massive ban wave.

It’s not.

There’s simply no way the memory requirements are THAT significant. A low to mid tier computer from Walmart six years ago can handle WoW without issue. If your potato is worse than that, how is that anyone else’s concern?

Probably in the same way it is our concern that you don’t want to run addons.

What add-ons do you require people to have when raiding or doing M+?

No individual addon has memory requirements that hefty, but add them all up and it stafts to get taxing. That said, I don’t like RP addons so we should ban them. (Even though they have exactly 0 effect on ny gameplay and I don’t even haveto see them if I don’t download the addon.)

M+? None. When I pug I dont require a screenshot of their addon folder. Raid? DBM and maybe weakauras.

I don’t raid anymore, but I’ve never been in a guild that required addons even when I was a Heroic (pre-Mythic) raider. If you refused to run them and kept effing up mechanics then you would be sat until a boss went on farm, but the solution to that would be not effing up. M+ I have never required any addons for anyone I invite, nor have I had any groups I have joined require any.

1 Like

In the same vein that any one with a Doctorate should respond when some one shouts ‘Is any one a doctor?’ while rendering aid.

Also: Pro Sports =/= a game, if they did, why aren’t you in the NBA, after all, it’s just a game, right? Why aren’t you getting a slice of that pie instead of posting on the WoW forums? They may be playing a sport/game, but it’s not comparable to shooting hoops with your buds in the street.