Is WoW pay2win now?

I didn’t even know corruption gear were available on these.

That does sound pretty messed up.
As for IS and TD though, I have multiple copies of gears with rank 3 of them on it rotting in the bank. At least they’re relatively easy to obtain.

And then we can go back to people yelling its P2W for buying tokens for Mythic+ and Raid carries :joy:

1 Like

Which carried a permaban risk… That’s the difference. That’s like condoning Blizzard greenlighting botting just because people have botted before…

6 Likes

I doubt it, its just outrageous. Mostly because all it takes to become a god in game is the blessing of rnj or cash money.

It did… but it was also so lazily enforced, i know of one of our regulars who flat out said he had been buying since vanilla once a month or so.

Maybe on a few realms you had people keeping a eye open and reporting, but on most of them, people were buying in droves.

Edit: Im not saying the current situation is fine, but it has less to do with tokens, and more to do with Corruptions.

Err what exactly is wrong with pugging and it not being something to brag about? You can pug mythic raids now, some groups might be missing 1 person in their 20 man setup for specific boss.

A lot of players back lashed over MTX infiltrating EQ2 gearing that the devs in that game had to make separate servers way back then.

The only larger backlash I remember about EQ2 back then was the introduction of PVP.

But that was a time when EQ2 was a subscription game.

Banning was usually the least of anyone’s concern compared to getting scammed.

I promise you it takes more than that.

This is specifically referencing the opening weeks of the expansion, as the person was talking about how their friend instantly bought all the BIS gear. Before cross realm mythic. People weren’t pugging mythic early on.

So at best this is in referencing to early heroic pugging.

I think a permanent ban was something to be very concerned about.

When it is gone, you’ll be playing the same way you were in 8.0. And thats not such a pleasant thing.

3 Likes

yea, i get what you’re saying. I wouldn’t put it in the category of games that are specifically built with that in mind.

That said, I think the pay2win culture exists in wow. There are a number of high rated pvp players that have full clears of mythic ny’alotha and only have 1-2 kills for each boss. Some of these are much more clear then others. Seeing players with 4-5 oozing bloods… while I have yet to get even 1 after 100’s of corruptions.

To that, this has 100% been a part of the game since the beginning. That said, I think people are noticing it more given the nature of corruptions and just how good they are. People are willing to shell out some cash for quick gains. Maybe it’s not always equating 1:1 with wins:losses, but if you have the cash to burn, you can definitely get pretty far.

2 Likes

its nice how asmon has to bring up the topic for it to even be relevant…

1 Like

No, it isn’t p2w, never has been, never will be. It would only be p2w if they put gear in the cash shop, and I don’t believe they will ever do that. And even then, unless it is mythic raid level or higher gear, it still wouldnt really be p2w. Paying will never help you not fail mechanics.

1 Like

It’s been talked about, but we’ve been on a M+ kick lately.

And I am not saying it doesn’t happen.

But people are pretending like they suck at WoW because they don’t pay money.

Or that the only way to be good is to be extremely lucky with corruption drops…or pay money.

I strongly feel the amount of people actually paying hundreds or thousands of dollars is on the extreme low side. And if one feels they are “losing” at WoW due to not paying money…they probably need to reevaluate their play.

1 Like

Buying 5 mask runs and corrupted gear will get you to immortality, all Blizz wants is a little indulgence.

1 Like

It really won’t.

But whatever excuse you need, go for it.

(it doesn’t help your cause to use over the top exaggeration)

How do you “win” at WoW? Sure you can buy BoE gear and carry runs, but ultimately your personal enjoyment is all that matters. And you can’t buy skill and performance, no amount of in-game purchases will get a noob into a top tier guild or into the top percentages of PvP rating, Raiderio, or raid parses.

1 Like

It’s still p2w in the sense that they are buying their way into content that they have no business being in, though any self respecting groups should be hard passing on those types.