Is wow pay to win now?

I think you are mad bro.

Are you mad that you don’t have the money to do the same thing yourself? There are solutions to that problem that involve mainly yourself and the decisions you make.

Are you mad that you relied on your talents to win and others did not? Well, I dont see the problem there either. Just accept that fact that you are better at wow than the people that have to cough up $20 per win (or whatever it is, idk).

Btw, it is not possible to make everything even and fair. And I mean NOT POSSIBLE, because what some people consider fair, others do not. There is no solution for that, and since there are millions of players, you can multiply that problem by almost as many times as there are players.

WoW has always had an element of pay to win, and that dynamic is not something that is going to be fixed either. As long as their are players with varying levels of skill, time, money, and decision making skills, there is going to be disparity among players. The more players, the larger the disparity. It’s a mathematical inevitability.

As long as that disparity exists, players will use whatever they have to their advantage. The players that have skill will use skill, the players that have money will use money, the players that have time will use time and dedication, whatever the player has, that is what will be used.

Attempting to force equality on the entire playerbase is simply not reasonable or rational. Especially since (as I already pointed out) what is equal and fair is different, depending on who’s needs you are talking about.

The closest this comes to pay to win is that you can buy WoW tokens to sell for gold to get all of your heirloom items to max level. Which to while better than most of the gear you will find at low to mid level will eventually be outstripped at the higher levels.

Anything else is luck of the draw. Given I routinely get nothing of value from dungeon runs I would be ruined were I to buy runs from people.

The problem with this argument is that you created a definition that leaves your claim unfalsifiable.

By your logic, even buying full sets of mythic gear from the shop would not be pay-to-win, because, by your logic, that’s not “winning”.

Your side isn’t even coherent because you have some admitting STO is pay-to-win specifically because you can do that. But then, of course, if WoW did that, they’d just move the goalposts.

They’d move the goalposts to your definition which means nothing WoW could possibly do could make WoW pay-to-win.

And even by your definition, you’re ignoring that most people can play and use carries to jump start their career in actual progression.

It’s about the environment pay-to-win creates.

With everyone forking over more and more cash for more and more advantage, pretty soon you get people emptying their wallets and dropping $300/month just to stay equal.

That’s not healthy, and IMO there’s as much case for a law against it as there is for a law against gambling.

And for most people, there’s an unspoken understanding that in a subscription-based game, you pay the subscription to avoid the otherwise necessary evil of some degree of pay-to-win.

2 Likes

You just proved my point 100%

No. Its more pay to have nice things like Brutosaur or various mounts and pets that are expensive to buy.

If you want a good example of P2W. Look at Skyforge.

WoW is not P2W.

3 Likes

Your point that what? People absolutely should be dropping $300/month on WoW if they want gear?

You ignored my point about the spiral. If two people can both play and one buys boosts, he’s pricing the other guy out of the opportunity to earn gear, which is how most people want to play.

because anyone with an iq over 50 knows what hes talking about blizzard isn’t selling anything its the playerbase doing it do it yourself and get better or don’t be bad and pay for it lmao that’s on you

There is no P2W simply because one does not simply beat and win the game of WoW.

Fine, so you want to change the definition of pay-to-win from its standard one of being able to buy advantage in-game for cash.

What word or phrase that’s just as convenient would you like to describe being able to buy advantage in-game for cash?

If you don’t have one that has the same ubiquity and ease of recognition, Imma just keep using pay-to-win.

3 Likes

Yeah what about it?

Has always been that way. ALWAYS.

Rofl… no… not even a little bit.

They offer your first run to you for gold, then they will offer you their Skype or Discord and from their they will set up real life currency payments and even pilots for your toons. Every single one of the big guilds in WoW do it. There is no way that Blizzard doesn’t know about this…they just turn the other way.

I asked once out of curiousity, and definitely the guy whispered back that it would be the cost of a token. Idk if that meant literally the amount in cash, or if it meant exchanging a token.

I mean… for one M+ run? Srsly, no way. Look, if someone wants to throw that kind of money at gear that is going to be good for a few months, then… i really don’t care. Don’t see how it affects me.

Maybe that is my problem, thinking it doesn’t affect me. I do M+ and raids and w/e. If some players cant M+ on their own, how does that affect me? Do I lose anything? Money? Gold? Gametime? IMO toxicity is 10x more of an issue than unskilled players getting better gear.

Anyone legit will come right out and say it and also will never leave room for questioning so as they say WTS carry for M+ they will say for how much gold in their chat, they will be in a guild and will be max level. Then will never whisper to you if it is for gold. They will never be vague if they are legit.

The guy was from Venezuela and he wanted either 200k G, or 3 chickens and a pint of milk.

pay for heroic raid runs and m+15 keys?..nope not pay to win at all.

Back to my question, I’ve been playing wow off and on since vanilla and there has always been some sort of dealings like this. The top guilds were offerering MC/BWL spots, and you could buy 1,000 gold for around $100.

So, it has always been going on, but what has it cost me? In what way would my game or game experience be different or better if none of these kinds of things ever happened? Lets say it was never possible to buy gold or runs or BiS gear or w/e, how would that have made my experience better over the years?

j/w, thx.

no the games not pay to win it never has been

if you are really that into it that you ened to buy wow tokens to get gold and pay for runs thats still NOT pay to win your not guaranteed gear even doing the runs in the first place

Other players offering paid carries does not make a game P2W. That is not a decision made by the company and Blizzard even has a specific report button for people who try to sell carries for money.

P2W refers to a company who is selling their progression. Yes you can buy a level boost, but leveling USED to be part of the progression… it isn’t anymore.

1 Like

well get gear to own in pvp?paying for an advantage to pvp?