Is WoW dead / dying (opinions)

As we’re actively seeing now, while Activision has no doubt contributed to the current state of affairs, there’s some very clear problems inside blizzard itself.

When they aren’t groping eachother, they are trying to insert their political agenda into the game, all the while continuing to neglect it and people get sick of it to the point of leaving.

3 Likes

There is far too much value in the IP for WoW to die, at least not for a few more years. There is a significant difference between what a shareholder sees as good vs what we see.

They’ve lost their way, they can get back on track if they want to. The real question is if they want to.

2 Likes

With an entire year of prepurchases included, and a boatload of marketing hype pushing those sales, it sold 10% more by release date than BfA had with a shorter prepurchase time. And then a lot of the the people who bought based on that hype realized that what they got wasn’t what they’d been led to believe they were getting, and left almost immediately.

I’m not sure that’s what defines a smashing success.

The game is now designed around making a boatload of money from the sort of “cyclical subscriber” who is going to leave in a month or so anyway. And if they’re leaving anyway, why bother to make any effort to retain them by giving them the sort of expensive content that might keep them?

And the people who stay, they’re so addicted they’d stay forever, right?

So they have created that cyclical subscriber they cater to now by not providing continuous content.

Of course the people who bought intending to stay for the expansion and left immediately are a gigantic revenue loss, because they not only won’t be paying for subs, but they won’t be feeding the microtransaction machine.

But they’ll be right back, right? That’s what we keep reading in the forums. They always come back. Nobody ever has left the game.

1 Like

dead/dying is so extreme/final

wow is declining but it’s always declining
wow won’t just “die” but it will and is downsizing dramatically

consequence of that will probably be realm closures and less frequent updates in the next few years

No.
It has massive content drought so it is obviously on decline. Add new mmos on the horizon and well, no surprise. They offer far more new shiny thigns to play while we are in 9.1 almost 1 years after the expansion launched.

The IP is worth billions though so relax, it will not die. It will bounce up and down, more ups if the gameplay is cool and updates are constant, more downs when the contrary.

Wrath numbers considered a 1 hour sub in china the same as a full montlhy sub in US, game never had the amount of players it claimed imo.

It will start dying when development ceases.

All of them do it nowadays, including cyberpunk.

Don’t discount the impact of nostalgia. People still play Maplestory and OSRS. I think WoW will always have a core dedicated fanbase that will support the game.

1 Like

If one could have a penny for each time a thread of this type is created.

1 Like

I mean… it’s a game that’s been around since 2004… and it has had no sequel. I think we’re used to games getting 2345676 sequels/prequels/reboots these days that MMOs seem weird and scary to us. Sure, they get expansions… but the base game mostly remains the same.

I think we’re definitely moving towards the time for World of Warcraft 2. While I am totally happy to keep playing WoW… I think to breathe new life and maybe bring players back in droves… WoW2 needs to happen.

1 Like

I’ve read reports that wow will be put in ‘maintenance’ mode (no updates) early next year.

Given the lead time on expansions, I’d say we will get something for 10.0, given the work which would have been already done, but not until 2023.

Who knows how everything will change before then.

We might have covid MkII or WWIII.

Funny how all this threads of wow dying always figure the “conspiracy”…

"Someone said … "
“I’ve heard talks …”
“I read somewhere …”
"I remember seeing somewhere … "

3 Likes

“In the Tibetan philosophy, Sylvia Plath sense of the word, I know we’re all…we’re all dying, all right?”

It feels like that to me, at least on Alliance side which feels unsalvageable. I honestly do not know where to go from here. The game itself is repetitive, my guild just called it quits, my friends who I used to ran keys with have switched to whatever trendy MMO is out there and as far as lolore, story or even characters, I’m not as into it as I was in previous expansions.

Yeah, the mage tower, and 9.1.5 life goodies are coming. So? What’s the point of adding content when trying to find a group for anything becomes so discouraging that you log off to play another game? I tried making my own groups and offered to help others with their raids, but the resounding response is usually apathy. The game is dead. Or at least, the Alliance is.

By the way, this is on Stormrage, which is supposedly a high pop server for the Alliance.

3 Likes

My Comment…

Answer Comment…

I am really confused, by the answer comment, and how it connects to mine? Did you maybe quote the wrong person? I also play both Alliance and Horde and never made comments about one being superior, and I don’t play the FF MMO.

1 Like

Yea, I should have been clearer, I mean it’s a farce until everyone stops doing it.

1 Like

I think there is zero question that the recent scandals have been incredibly damaging, and very incredibly disappointing…

They are trying to show willingness to change and do better, but its clear many players feel that all the changes they are making is just pure tokenism…

I do hope when I’m ready to return to play wow a bit later, they recover from all this.

3 Likes

More than a few players I know who were still actually playing WoW even after getting KSM and AOTC has been playing New World since launch day and almost no one is logging on WoW anymore.

Is WoW dying? No

Is the game in the worst state it’s ever been? Probably

2 Likes

They merged with Activision a long time ago, so that didn’t cause it.

Dumb decisions by the devs are what killed WoW.

3 Likes

Any every expansion release there is a huge number of returning players which then slowly dwindle down till the next expansion launch .

Yes I understand that. The game literally just came out a week ago and you’re surprised it has 900k concurrent players? In the grand scheme of things that’s extremely low compared to some other games opening week.

And ya bullular literally explains in the video how they got that number. Don’t be such a dunce.

1 Like