Is there a way to use an authenticator without a mobile phone?

So. I don’t actually have a mobile phone. Normally I just use my home computer and landlines. However it would be nice to have some extra security as well as the extra bag space. Can a landline work in place of a mobile phone?

The authenticator requires an Android or Apple operating system in order to function. It doesn’t operate by phone calls, so no, a normal phone line won’t work.

Any device with an Android or Apple operating system should work (with a supported operating system).

4 Likes

There are android emulators for windows that can run android apps. Not as secure as having the authenticator on a separate device, but likely better than nothing.

2 Likes

Could always use a tablet to use it on.

1 Like

I just did this recently… despite everyone’s insistence that it COULD work without an actual mobile phone number, I discovered that no, it can’t. In order to complete the setup, you MUST be able to enter a valid mobile phone number (not something like a Google Voice number.) After several months of trying, I gave up and got a real mobile phone.

I suspect the “doesn’t need a mobile number” information might predate the addition of SMS Protect because once SMS Protect was added to options and the four new backpack slots were added, the advertising for them said you had to add “an authenticator” not “authenticator & SMS” and I know for a fact that you did not get the four bag slots without adding SMS (because I had a keyfob authenticator for ages and didn’t get the four slots until I finally replaced it with a mobile phone and app.)

I realize the folks saying you CAN do it know more about this than I do, but my experience is that while you can run the app on a tablet, emulator, etc. you cannot complete the setup these days unless you have a valid mobile phone number to enter.

My thread from a few months ago: Mobile Autheticator options? - #10 by Keriss-kirin-tor

4 Likes

I tried to add it on my own phone years ago, but since I have prepaid service, it never accepts my number or lets me add the authentication.

1 Like

The Mobile Auth and SMS protect used to be totally separate. So it was true that you did not need a phone number to use the Mobile Auth, just a device that could run it.

Recently that changed and you need an eligible phone number even for the Auth. This of course creates issues because pre-paid numbers, or VOIP numbers are not eligible. Worse, some numbers are flagged as pre-paid when they no longer are. Cricket seems to fall into that bucket a lot. Blizz cant change the flagging and the phone provider usually can’t either.

It means fewer people have access to the Mobile Auth now - and with the elimination of the keychain version, it is a step in the wrong direction for security accessibility - in my opinion.

I still have my keychain for the record.

10 Likes

This is unfortunate. Someone suggesting getting a tablet or something like that? Is it possible for me to get a cheap phone for the number maybe and then have no plan on the bare minimum or it? I don’t want to be paying for something on a monthly basis that I will almost never use.

If you check Amazon you can get cheap tablets for around $50

1 Like

If you truly cannot afford a smartphone, they are available for free from the government, on an income-qualification basis.

I have one myself. LG something or other… a Stylo I think (don’t use it much at all LOL).

Free, and I get 3 gigs of data a month.

https://www.fcc.gov/general/lifeline-program-low-income-consumers

I’ve had two so far; no problems with setting up an authenticator or any other apps from Blizz on it. Just changed it up last year (from an ancient Alcatel to the LG) and didn’t have problems installing or transferring my authenticator to the new phone.

The service (my service at least) has always been provided by a major carrier, and I don’t believe they have these plans set up as “prepaid” because I never run into restrictions that folks who have an actual month-to-month prepaid phone do. If I have problems with the phone itself, I contact Lifeline … but if I have problems with the service, it’s T-Mobile.

Good luck!

6 Likes

I still have a physical FOB authenticator from 2005 and the darn thing still works. Thats one long lasting battery for sure. Cannot use it unfortunately, it is tied to an old account that was deleted years ago.