Mobile Autheticator options?

So, my original-issue keyfob autheticator has finally stopped working. 12-ish years is pretty good! I was able to easily remove the dead keyfob using the website.

In retrospect, removing the dead authenticator was a mistake: the backup keyfob that I bought years ago, never used, and stored against this day is unfortunately also dead. Unsurprising given its age, it’s a Cataclysm-themed keyfob. I expected the original one to die years ago.

I downloaded the mobile authenticator onto my Kindle (the only mobile device I have), and started setting up, only to find it requires a mobile phone number.

Problem: I do not own a mobile phone. My “mobile” number for receiving texts is a Google Voice number, which isn’t allowed.

I just want my account to be secure, what can I do? Without the authenticator, I feel like I’m out in public without a mask!

Worst of all, this means I’ve lost access to Runty, my corehound pet :frowning:

Is this a hard stop, or can you bypass it? I think it’s also trying to set up sms text, and while I have seen another post asking about this it feels like it was a while ago.

1 Like

When I get to the point of putting in a mobile phone number and requesting a code, it says “Whoops! Looks like something went wrong. Please give us a few minutes and try your request later.”

I know from a previous thread on this forum that Google Voice isn’t suitable for SMS Protect, due to security concerns… I had assumed that was going to be the issue here, although it hasn’t specifically told me so yet.

(I’m very annoyed with myself for not checking the “new” keyfob before removing the old one… I knew perfectly well how old it was, but thought the fact it had never been used meant the battery wasn’t active yet.)

You don’t need a phone number to set up the mobile authenticator. It can be installed on a tablet (ie not a phone). The phone number would be for SMS protection.

1 Like

That’s good news! Hopefully the setup will take my Google Voice number eventually, then, and let me finish setting up.

It was recent-ish. Something to do with setting it up on mobile vs setting up on PC and Vrak was going to look into it. It was not supposed to FORCE the SMS part. They should be separate.

I will edit if I can find the thread and Vrak’s comments on it.

So it was Perl who had the troubleshooting comments in November.
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/cant-use-authenticator/716572/12

Read that thread. Perl could set it up but the OP could not. It seems the difference is using the device vs using the PC interface for the actual set up.

Read everything Perl wrote when troubleshooting and see if any of that helps you to set it up using the computer interface instead.

4 Likes

OK, I got Bluestacks and installed the authenticator on my desktop and unfortunately got the same results (obviously, I took out my GV number in the image, but it was there in the app!) :

I very definitely have the Authenticator app, in case there was any question of that as there was in the linked thread! The three screenshots are consecutive, with no other screens in between.

I wish the user in that linked thread had come back to say if they’d gotten it to work or not, but I watched the recommended video and it showed a user having a very different experience from what I am having.

Could the app be requesting a mobile number because there isn’t already one on the account? Is it possible that people who aren’t seeing the request for a mobile number have already done that part and that’s why it is so different?

Edited to add: it also won’t let me hit Continue and move past this mobile number request, I did attempt that!

Silly question. Does Kindle have a texting app? I know I can download a texting app on an old phone and it is assigned a phone number. So long as I am connected to a wifi network, I would be able to receive SMS without having cellular service. Wonder if that would work for you?

I appreciate the help, but I don’t think another number will help, as the Authenticator app isn’t supposed to require SMS in the first place! Also, the GV number I use has texting and I know that one isn’t allowed for SMS for security reasons.

Just an update for anyone else searching for answers:

In the end, I was unable to set up the Authenticator app without a real mobile phone number. I bought a phone and got service and was able to set everything up without issues. Sad that I couldn’t do it without one, but I suppose it WAS time that I joined the Century of the Fruitbat and got mobile.

Setting up the authenticator DID also set up SMS Protect, so now I am doubly protected and have four extra bag slots as well.

Thanks to all of you for your assistance!

8 Likes

Awesome man! I am in the same boat. My authenticator still works, but I was going to want to switch it out too here soon since it’s bound to fail when I need it lol.