Is there a guarantee that 100% of the Dottie pet will be given to charity?

No, because they say it. So I don’t think it is “troublesome.” If you really want to feel like your fraction is going to the charity, buy it now.

Me too. Though I’m sure for very different reasons. Funny how that works.

Woooooaaaah there big boy. We don’t take kindly to cold, hard, irrefutable logic 'round these here parts!

1 Like

**Donation amount for in-game pet excludes chargebacks, refunds, and value added taxes (VAT) or other similar taxes paid with a maximum donation amount of USD $3 million from all sales of the Dottie in-game pet and plushie for charity.

Anything over 3mil is pocketed it seems. Meh.

Give it a rest ok, you’re over thinking this whole thing for nothing!

Everybody wins! the kids win, we win and blizzard wins

3mill to kids, profits to blizzard = game keeps going!

4 Likes

So many people crying because blizzard is giving $3 million to charity. Get over it. If you’re too paranoid about the pet then just donate directly to MaW.

3 Likes

Read the press release for the prize pool. It was never a deception. Why would they specifically mention adding up to a minimum if they were also going to throw in another 500k? It was moronic to assume that.

As for these charity things, they are all complete BS. Blizzard will still take a tax break for your “donation” and keep most of the money for the pet. Don’t let corporations fool you into “donating” through them.

Any checkout donation is the same garbage. The company gets to make a fat donation on your dime and get a tax break and there’s no way your going to itemize out every 2-3 dollar donation at the end of the year.

If you want to donate to charity, donate directly. Don’t let the advertisers fool you into buying more stuff as a “donation”.

2 Likes

My gosh, some of you really do live under rocks, dont’cha?

Have you never read the fine print of any promotion that involves charitable donations? There is nearly always a minimum and maximum described in the fine print. Whether the promotion is from Vons, Burger King, Target, Walmart, etc., etc., etc.

These promos always say, “blah, blah, blah, a minimum of $2 million and a maximum of $5 million,” or something similar. Always, because laws and things.

So, the phenomenon we see here is (I hate this cliche, but it fits right now), “basement dwellers” reading the fine print of a charity promotion for the first time, and saying, “OMG, OMG, look at this! OMG I’m so smart, I’m gonna bust the story wide open on this one!”

It’s nothing new. At all. Sorry to burst the conspiracy bubble.

Edit: It’s worth mentioning, on a bit of a tangent, that charitable organizations and non-profits (501c3s) never ever forward 100% of the money they make to charity. Having worked for a municipal 501c3, I know this for a fact.

Why? People running the 501c3 need salaries, there are office expenses, etc., etc. There is no special Staples catalog where everything is free for non-profits and other charitable organizations.

So while we took in about a million dollars in donations and fundraising per year, only around 800k would actually be put back out into the community as charity. My boss and I took up 100k of that million (65 to her, 35 to me LOL), another 125k went to office and other work expenses, leaving just shy of 800k per year “to charity.”

This is why the uninformed or the ignorant look at hugely massive charitable organizations, see they took in 450 million last year, see that only 350 million of that went to charity, and immediately do this:

/soapbox
/“SHENANIGANS!”

:roll_eyes:

6 Likes

If you are that concerned donate direct and don’t buy the pet through Blizzard.

Too much imaginary outrage so early in the morning.

4 Likes

More than $3 million has never been raised, so i think you’re safe.

1 Like

The only way to guarantee that any charity receives 100% of your donation is to walk into their main office and give them cash.

There is no guarantee for any other method. Donate online? Someone takes a cut to process the payment. Sometimes up to 30%.

1 Like

No, they guaranteed that all money raised up to $3 million will got to the charity. They clearly state this on the product page for everyone to read. It isn’t hard to understand and they are being clear and upfront about it.

Or you could just donate your $10 to the charity yourself…

4 Likes

They were clear that the first 3 million would be going to charity…and that’s apparently not good enough for you.

1 Like

If it’s a concern to you, you’re more than welcome to donate on your own without the incentive of a virtual pet

4 Likes

No it’s not. These pets are always available after the event, meaning Blizz always gets money from them. And no pet has ever hit $3mil.

Your guarantee is that 100% of the money from each pet goes to charity before the end of the event or until they hit $3mil, which is unlikely given past data.

People need to stop being ridiculous.

2 Likes

You remind me of a charity worker who once asked me for money on the street. I had 25 pence on me at the time and I gave her that. She responded “most people donate a pound” to which I replied “well I only have 25 pence on me.” She then rolled her eyes and walked away. I was completely blown away… Be thankful they’re giving ANYTHING to charity…

This is what’s on the website for Dottie: Through Dec 31, 2019, Blizzard® Entertainment will donate 100% of the purchase price to be shared equally with Make-A-Wish and WE.org, less any chargebacks, refunds and Value Added Taxes (VAT) or other similar taxes paid with a maximum donation amount of USD $3 million from all sales of the Dottie in-game pet and plushie for charity.

That is VERY clear that they will donate up to $3 million dollars to charity. That means 100% of the sales goes to the charity UP TO $3 million dollars. So if they make $4 million… a million goes to Blizzard.

You call that greedy… I CALL YOU GREEDY… FFS… It’s 3 flipping million dollars that they’re sending to charity.

4 Likes

Rhielle, I think we sometimes forget where we are. :wink:

4 Likes

Your failure to understand a clear statement does not mean there was any deception whatsoever with the prize pool. I fail to see how there would be any deception here.

Blizz doesn’t nickel and dime you like other companies.

1 Like

You do understand that they (blizzard) are not sending a dime to charity, we are through blizzard. They get the tax break while not spending a single dime of their own money, it is our money. Plus they get to keep money we intended for charity if the playerbase is overly generous.

Still no official guarantee.

1 Like

Oh look, more fake outrage. How woke.

1 Like