Is the community really toxic?

My response to this would be - Why are you completely shutting down the idea of playing arenas because you had one bad experience with one person? If you enjoy everything else about Arena then you should keep playing it.

Why give that one random person so much power over how you play the game?

haha. I am incredibly toxic. :3
Though I think that maybe a lot of people label drama as toxic?
Cause there is a load of drama amongst the community.

Way to twist the discussion in your favor.
Let me put it this way: Mario.
All Mario platformers are easy to pick up and play. However once you finish the main game you can choose to do the extremely difficult post-game content.

Toxicity causes drama but not all drama is based off toxicity.

A friend i knew playing classic wow had someone ninja a sword from him, which is pretty toxic and prick worthy, but i mean life goes on. Plus it was a lower lvl area, so nothing anyone can’t do later.

My point stands though. The more serious and competitive situations you find your self in game, the more pricks you are bound to meet.

Compared to some of the other games I play or have played in the past? Yes, very much so.

I’m not saying people who play WoW are inherently more obnoxious than people playing other games. I think Blizzard contributes to a lot of it by allowing it to go on, both in game and here.

I also think some types of games attract a more mellow crowd than others. For example GW2 emphasizes cooperative gameplay, so it attracts people who find that appealing and discourages people who don’t. Lotro tends to attract an older crowd; we’re mostly too tired to waste energy on trolling and backbiting!

The hell is the lvl14 panda BS? lol

._. I’m having flashbacks to 360 CoD:BO lobby.
The things my poor ears have been subjected to. haha.
Most of all the screeching. That is toxic AF.

I think people who label toxicity are unaware of their own toxicity. I’ve seen a lot of X leaning people who bring whatever beliefs they adhere to point the finger at everyone but themselves.

So not only do I agree with you, but I think they’re the main contributors.

No, but for real. The game has relaxed quite a lot over the years.

/2 like 4-6 years ago was the most atrocious thing your eyes could see. Felt like being pelted with acid, and rocksalt.

I dunnit… :wink:

1 Like

Yup that’s like me. For the person above who asked why don’t I go do arenas anyway - I don’t enjoy having people scream obscenities at me for making a mistake in a video game. Maybe you do. You do you. I’d rather collect pixels alone for 2 hours to get a cute pixel pet.

Humans are to blame, you cant always blame blizzard for human nature

I don’t know. There are truly repulsive and awful people, but I’ve met a lot of really calm and collected players in the game lately. Even on the forums, where everyone claims there’s more toxicity here than anywhere, I’ve had plenty of good conversations. Sure there are a few here and there where the other party is fostering toxicity, but for the most part I think the game has calmed down mostly.

Now Nintendo “fans”, yikes. The moment a Direct doesn’t cover one of the big three, you better run for the hills. Doesn’t even matter if they give forewarning that they’re covering Indie games; there will be blood.

I find the more casual guilds ive been in the people seem quite geniune and nice. These are usually older folks who have a family. More hardcore guilds are filled with a lot of angry single males tossing around horrible racist/sexist/whatever jokes that would never fly on facebook. Just my experience, not all guilds are like this.

Its not like League of Legends levels of toxic but yes, its pretty bad. And not in an amusing way like a 9 year old yelling obscenities at you in CoD

“Is the community really toxic?”
glances at the rest of the general forum topics rn
Um…
OH HEY LOOK GUYS THE GAME IS BACK UP I am so out of here

For me it has felt like WoW seeps politics into it in the worst way, I can’t pinpoint what it is or why it is, but the constant trade chat #trump2020 and awful bigotry and hate disguised as trolling beats you over the head pretty hard and brings the worst in people. There’s also no effort to help newer players in this game, which is a reason why over the years I’ve always told RL friends to not play this game because it’s a “bad game” though I love this game and lie to them so not to subject them to this playerbase.

My server “ED” has had a lot of people leaving for griefing, and being harrassed by a very vocal alt right minority that drove off most of the pvpers and Rpers, aswell as decimating the PVE community. As far as I know, this kind of stuff doesn’t happen in other MMOs, and I’ve played GW2 since release.

The forums are about 800 times more toxic than the game

Aside from some trade chats but my trade chat is just all carry selling

They did poke the bear with the factions stuff. And with the covenants stuff, that’s seemingly created a divide.