Is the Alliance ever going to get a payback for War of Thorns?

I honestly think we will. They deleted Teldrassil, but Tirisfal and Undercity are both still accessible and only hindered by something that can feasibly be cleansed by a troupe of frost mages. I’m honestly kind of inclined to think that the Sylvanas raid will probably take place in an updated Undercity.

I mean, fair enough, but Undercity is already destroyed and can’t really be “burned to the ground” because… well, it’s stone, and already in ruins. The area is denied. It has much more to do with the physical structure of UC than anything else.

What about a nice mana bomb crater?

Sure, if that makes you happy. We’ll have Lordaeron Crater.

1 Like

You still describe a seesaw and I’m not a fan of that type of writing.
One side wins, another side loses. It doesn’t always have to level or equal out because that’s just as much as a lame copout as the Alliance winning every battle.
Different situations met with different standards should suffice.

which Alliance capital city do you think we should blow up for the next expansion?

Gilneas so I can finally give up hope of ever reclaiming it.

4 Likes

No I think teasing us with its existence is far more cruel. Lets keep it that way.

The Horde has been made the villains and the Alliance has been made hero’s (like more than a few Alliance posters wanted). The means you can’t slaughter the Horde like Sylvanas does.

And even Blizzard isn’t so blind as ignore everything the Alliance has done to the Horde while giving the Alliance revenge for every grievance they have. (And if they did, I’m not sure there is any recovering from it.)

1 Like

I would not be as critical if I was a devout christian who wanted to role play as jesus.

Teldrassil’s burning, as a single event, was the largest loss of civilian life in World of Warcraft thus far (i.e. from vanilla to now).
No one died in Undercity except soldiers, and even then it wasn’t a monumental loss. Sylvanas was even willing to kill her own troops just to kill some Alliance ones and raise them all.

The entire population of the Undercity gets to sit in Orgrimmar boo-hooing about not being able to sit in their green-slime-filled sewers because none of them got axed. Teldrassil as a place means nothing- if its population were somehow all teleported to safety and just the tree were torched, we wouldn’t have Tyrande going on the warpath and demanding to “wear [Elune’s] darkest face”.

Not only that, but assuming the RAC has some kind of way to neutralize their own Blight, they can just walk in and retake it once they’re sure the Alliance isn’t in the area. Teldrassil is a charred stump.

8 Likes

Because, if you aren’t satisfied by what you get, you complain it is worthless.

It wouldnt be the first time.
SoO for example.

LIES!!

… I have a bank alt parked there.

I stand corrected.

1 Like

The main difference between Undercity and Teldrassil is the civilian body count, and that was to make the Horde the villains and the Alliance the good guys. And so it can’t be repeated for the Alliance (and was no “fist-pump” moment for the Horde players.)

-In the end, both sides lost a city they wanted to keep.
-Having an enemy force you destroy something you wanted to keep is no victory (it is an expression of desperation). Sylvanas laying a trap that fails is no win for her. (And if the Alliance had burned Teldrasil themselves to lay a failed trap, it would be called another example of Alliance importance.)
-And no, only undercity was destroyed in the failed trap, the rest of Lordaeron was just taken by overwhelming force against Horde resistance.

1 Like

Only because Blizzard chose to make it that way.

Anyway, OP: the answer to your question is probably no. You are probably not ever going to get the highly specific type of payback you want.

What do you want those of us who are not Blizzard writers to do about that?

4 Likes

That was pretty much my point in more words. Game play wise the Alliance and Horde have lost the same amount in BFA. Population is meaningless outside of the story. It was used to emotionally manipulate people and make the Horde look evil. They could have gone the same route and written that Teldrassil was fully evacuated but they didn’t, they wanted people to be angry or sad. They gave the Alliance reasons to feel angry towards the Horde. All we got was anger at our own faction or apathy. They didn’t even bother with UC. Just had Sylvanas slap some blight on it, call it a win, and then never talk about it again.

5 Likes

I have to say, Blizzard giving Gilneas back to the Worgen would be a nothing. I know I don’t care a darn about it and it is’t even clear that it wasn’t taken with the other Lordearon territory. If Worgen players were asking Blizzard why they haven’t made it a new zone, I would be sympathetic. Thought, in the end, the answer is probably the same reason why Blizzard never updates anyplace that isn’t visited as part of an expansion plot.

Recognize them for what it is and demand better? Dont do mental gymnastics to excuse Blizzards crap story and pretend the Horde has it just as bad.

Thats all I can and will ask.