Is it true that Night elf society is matriarchal

If Maiev would have volunteered to be Illidan’s jailer then the Night Elves would have already been following Malfurion’s leadership, as it would have been following Malfurion’s orders for Illidan to be imprisoned. They would likely have looked to him to continue his leadership.

If anything, because of this, Malfurion himself would probably have had to turn down Ysera on going into the Dream, if Tyrande wasn’t around and he was left with the responsibility of leadership instead.

1 Like

Except Malfurion was only allowed that decision by Jarrod Shadowsong…

You are delusional.

Jarod Shadowsong didn’t want to be leader, and would have likely directed everyone that looked to him for leadership to Malfurion, just as he did in directing them to Tyrande.

Or maybe he would direct them to his Sister… You can’t make that assumption.

We rather can, in that Jarod would have still left the decision up to Malfurion to imprison Illidan, and Maiev would have wanted to carry out that sentence herself, Jarod could not have directed anyone to Maeiv.

2 Likes

Unless it didn’t go down that way… That’s the thing, you can’t just assume action. Assuming things are consistent, and Maiev volunteers, that doesn’t mean you can assume to whom Jarrod would have directed people to… You can’t assume Malfurion just because you want to believe that.

I can assume it was Malfurion because the original Warcraft III lore had Malfurion be one of the leaders. Could have also been Cenarius, though.

Well, if you want to base your whole opinion of noncanon lore, I can’t stop you. Just don’t waste my time with it because I am not going to entertain your BS ideas.

Who’s to say it would have been non-canon in a situation where Tyrande wasn’t around after the Sundering? As you said, you can’t assume just because you do to believe what you want to.

Because it’s non-canon… The entire culture has changed since then.

And that cultural shift wouldn’t have happened without Tyrande.

1 Like

I think it would have, it just would have with another Priestess…

Culturally, that makes the most sense to me. It wouldn’t have been druidism because they had a duty to Ysera… The only institution that could have risen up in that moment is the Sisterhood. It’s not like Tyrande did it all by herself… she had followers. Which implies a cultural shift towards piety in the Light of Elune regardless of Tyrande.

Or more likely both Tyrande and Malfurion were acknowledged as leaders as they BOTH DID lead the surviving Kal’dorei to salvation following the catastrophe of the Sundering and Jarod Shadowsong had ducked out before he could be saddled with the job.

So whenever one of them would speak up in a situation that required leadership, either would be followed. When Malfurion took his first long nap he would have designated another druid such as Fandral as his standin which would explain why Fandral was both the lead figure in the War of the Shifting Sands and is the co-leader at the start of the MMORG. And why Jarod Shadowsong slipped back into leadership during Cataclysm without even a hint of surprise or reaction from the female population. This fits into the fact that Night Elf society at the start of the MMORG shows none of the classic matriarchal characteristics, but is intead egalitarian, more so than any other Azeroth race with the exception of gnomes.

1 Like

No, that was just Tyrande… Malfurion went off to do Druid stuff, completely seperate of Kaldorei governance, while Tyrande elevated the Sisiterhood as the main government and ideology of the Kaldorei people.

Malfurion didn’t do anything.

Except the Priestesses had gone aloof, and it was only Tyrande who reformed them.

The Druids also didn’t have a duty to Ysera yet, as it was some years between Illidan being sentenced to imprisonment and the Dragon Aspects showing up. If Tyrande wasn’t around, Malfurion probably couldn’t have agreed to Ysera’s terms.

That doesn’t mean they would have in this case, and I think the cultural shift in the wake of the War of the Ancients was moving toward the Sisterhood. I think druidism was a consequence of that shift. I think without Tyrande, Malfurion would have even less of a reason to turn down Ysera’s offer. I think its delusional to think he ever would. If we didn’t for Tyrande, he sure as hell wouldn’t of if she weren’t around. You just removed all of his guilt.

No, rather, Tyrande wouldn’t have been there so he could trust the rest of their society in her care.

Also, turns out that the Warcraft III manual is not as retconned as previously announced, as most of it is actually in WoW itself:

The few night elves that survived the horrific explosion rallied together on crudely made rafts and slowly made their way to the only landmass in sight. Somehow, by the grace of Elune, Malfurion, Tyrande, and Cenarius had survived the Great Sundering. The weary heroes agreed to lead their fellow survivors and establish a new home for their people.

Knowing full well where Illidan’s ruthless schemes would eventually lead, Malfurion decided to deal with his power-crazed brother once and for all. With Cenarius’ help, Malfurion sealed Illidan within a vast underground barrow prison, where he would remain chained and powerless until the end of time. To ensure his brother’s containment, Malfurion empowered the young warden, Maiev Shadowsong, to be Illidan’s personal jailor.

Concerned that destroying the new Well might bring about an even greater catastrophe, the night elves resolved to leave it be. However, Malfurion declared that they would never practice the arts of magic again. Under Cenarius’ watchful eye, they began to study the ancient arts of druidism that would enable them to heal the ravaged earth and re-grow their beloved forests at the base of Mount Hyjal.

For many years, the night elves worked tirelessly to rebuild what they could of their ancient homeland. Leaving their broken temples and roads to be overgrown, they constructed their new homes amidst the verdant trees and shadowed hills at Hyjal's base. In time, the dragons that had survived the great Sundering came forth from their secret abodes.

Alexstrasza the red, Ysera the green, and Nozdormu the bronze descended upon the druids’ tranquil glades and surveyed the fruits of the night elves’ labors. Malfurion, who had become an arch-druid of immense power, greeted the mighty dragons and told them about the creation of the new Well of Eternity.

The great dragons were alarmed to hear the dark news and speculated that as long as the Well remained, the Legion might one day return and assault the world once again. Malfurion and the three dragons made a pact to keep the Well safe and ensure that the agents of the Burning Legion would never find their way back into the world.

1 Like

there are multiple people who could have filled that role. Tyrande being gone doesn’t give him any addition sense of duty, it only allows him to go to the dream unburdened…

Also, the Warcraft 3 Manual is retconned… None of what you posted has anything to do with the Warcraft 3 manual. Stop trying to pass off unrelated lore off as supportive of your argument… I can read. It wont work on me.

As the centuries passed, the night elves' new society grew strong and expanded throughout the budding forest that they came to call Ashenvale. Many of the creatures and species that were abundant before the Great Sundering, such as furbolgs and quilboars, reappeared and flourished in the land. Under the druids' benevolent leadership, the night elves enjoyed an era of unprecedented peace and tranquility under the stars.

Mount Hyjal, exists, the high elves were exiled… that doesn’t make the Warcraft 3 manual canon lol.