Is it true that Night elf society is matriarchal

Or is it just that the genders have different roles.

1 Like

You have no idea what you just set in motion. Or maybe you do? May god have mercy on your soul.

69 Likes

in before akiyass

21 Likes

God I wish that were me.

Honestly, I’ve never seen it that way. Male Nelfs can still be in positions equal to that of females. In fact, we even have male sentinals. It’s just that there’s most female nelfs in the military just like there are more male humans in the human military.

A true matriarchal society would have to be the Naga and the Blood Trolls. Naga have the females as the ruling, spell caster class with the males as the working class. True, there are male generals, but usually they defer to the female spell casters.

Blood Trolls have that kinky femdom thing going on. Depening on the tribe, a male Troll can be seen as food or a slave class.

8 Likes

I mean our society is technically a patriarchy but women can serve in leadership roles. Neither matriarchy or patriarchy has to be evil and oppressive but in either you will see one gender in more leadership roles than the other.

Night Elves are modeled after Drow except not evil so the evil part of the matriarchal society didn’t carry over.

18 Likes

By all that is holy, do not start with that! Do you comprehend what you might unleash by beginning with that phrase alone?!

21 Likes

grabs popcorn

Aaaaaannnd begin.

13 Likes

Enters the thread

Hey everyone whats going on in-…

Slowly turns and walks out the door

38 Likes

The Night Elves were initially written to have a matriarchal society where women were priestesses and fighters, and men were druids. This was changed for WoW.

I think the official lore explanation is that the Night Elves ended their gender discrimination policies because so many people died during the Third War.

You can read about it here under “Culture” and then “Gender roles”:

14 Likes

Their priesthood is still completely and utterly dominated by women though and their priesthood operates as the highest echelon of their society.

5 Likes

An Egalitarian society doesn’t happen overnight but they are making progress.

2 Likes

Neither is true. All of the roles in Night Elf society can and are filled by both genders. As far back as vanilla there was a Female ArchDruid in charge of summoning Ivus the Forest Lord. Both were relatively recent ly cannonically killed off. She during the War of Thorns, and Ivus during a Darkshore World Quest.

Night Elf society was never a proper example of matriarchy where the female gender was elevated in status over the male. That IS true of the Naga, but Naga are no longer Night Elves.

1 Like

It became mostly matriarchal as a result of all the Druids(male at the time primarily or entirely) going into the Emerald Dream as part of their pact. It still seems to mostly be that way, the Priestesses of the Moon for example are still the main leadership authority amongst Night Elves. Malfurion does lead the Druids and has some authority in their culture but still seems to be under his wife so to speak.

Of course most of Darnassus is dead now so there may well be a shift back towards matriarchy given the NE army is mostly women and they were the bulk of the survivors.

3 Likes

how do you know most survivors were women

I think it’s weird that a lot of posters think Night Elf society can’t be a matriarchy unless males are oppressed 24/7.

39 Likes

I don’t think anyone ever said that in this thread. EDIT: I stand corrected:

I did. Right at the bottom of my post.

Isn’t it? The males in NE society were mostly Druids it would make sense for the warrior caste of Night Elves to still be mostly made up of women. Change doesn’t happen that quickly.

2 Likes

Because that IS the definition of an “archy”. In a Patriarchal society like the United States it’s women who struggle against a glass ceiling.

On the docks of Boralus the Night Elf forces marshalling there are a fair composite of both genders.

1 Like

And thus it begins.

9 Likes

Tyrande for the most part does not give Malfurion orders any more than she did Fandral when he was leading them. Druids and Priests work complementary roles in modern Kal’dorei society, not hierarchical ones.

And as noted, a female archdruid was working with the Stormpike clan in Alteraac Valley.

4 Likes