Is it true that Night elf society is matriarchal

This is not a retcon. Chronicle does not say the Druids did not banish them, which would be a retcon. The Druids were Night Elves, so there is no contradiction.

2 Likes

Not reallyā€¦ They were a multiracial organization, including night elves as well as Dryads and Keepers and even Dragons. They didnā€™t play any role in the Kaldorei Government, nor did they ever pass or enforce Kaldorei law.

So, while I am sure Blizzard intended to be vague hereā€¦ ā€œNight Elvesā€ implies the State of the Night Elves, which would be the Sisterhood, or simply the collective of those who survived the War of the Ancients.

The Keepers of the Grove and the Dryads actually didnā€™t rejoin the Night Elves until after the Highborne were exiled.

1 Like

Do you have a source for that? Because I am pretty sure they fought the Legion along side the Night Elves.

And based on Chronicles text, you can infer that it wasnā€™t just the Druids as not all Night Elves are druids. Thatā€™s the point I was making. It should have been made clear. Just saying the Night Elves leaves it open to interpretation.

Of course I do. Chronicle: Volume 1, Page 119:

The exile of the Highborne ended a tenuous chapter in night elf history. Yet even so, Tyrande and Malfurion found no time to rest.

In time, the enchanted keepers of the grove and woodland dryads emerged from their secluded Moonglade. The night elves revered these creatures, for they were Cenariusā€™s own sons and daughters. Their presence in the wilds of Ashenvale was seen as an omen of better things to come.

1 Like

I mean, thatā€™s not entirely telling. That just says migrated beyond the boarders of Moonglade, where the Druids could already have been. I feel like thatā€™s not explicit enough, considering there is a distinction to be made bcayse the Night Elves and The Druids.

Or you could state it as Chronicles not being specific about who actually did the banishing, as Chronicles doesnā€™t actually say:

In the end, the other night elves could not bring themselves to sentence so many of their brothers and sisters to death. Instead, they barred the Highborne from setting foot on Hyjal ever again.

It doesnā€™t actually say who ordered the banishment.

1 Like

Well, you could infer that. I think the fact that we have prior information regarding it is sufficient, though. Thereā€™s a balance in the necessity between specificity and brevity.

Before it just said druids. Elsewhere it uses the term Night Elves. Personally I would just parse that as druids who are Night Elves.

1 Like

You prefer Warcraft IIIā€™s lore, right? This would be from Warcraft IIIā€™s manual:

Somehow, by the graces of Elune, Furion, Tyrande and Cenarius had survived the Great Sundering. The weary heroes agreed to lead their fellow survivors and establish a new home for their people. As they journeyed in silence, they surveyed the wreckage of their world and realized that their passions had wrought the destruction all around them. Though Sargeras and his Legion had been ripped from the world by the Wellā€™s destruction, Furion and his companions were left to ponder the terrible cost of victory.

It was clear that Azshara and her elite high-borne followers had been smashed to the bottom of the raging sea. Still, there were many high-borne amongst the survivors who made their way to the shores of the new land. Though Furion mistrusted the high-bornesā€™ motivations, he was satisfied that they could cause no real mischief without the Wellā€™s energies.

As the weary mass of night elves landed upon the shores of the new land, they found that the holy mountain, Hyjal, had survived the catastrophe. Seeking to establish a new home for themselves, Furion and the night elves climbed the slopes of Hyjal and reached its windswept summit. As they descended into the wooded bowl, nestled between the mountainā€™s enormous peaks, they found a small, tranquil lake. To their horror, they found that the lakeā€™s waters had been fouled ā€“ by magic.

Illidan, having survived the Sundering as well, had reached Hyjal summit long before Furion and the night elves. In his mad bid to maintain the flows of magic in the world, Illidan had poured his vials, containing the precious waters from the Well of Eternity, into the mountain lake. The Wellā€™s potent energies quickly ignited and coalesced into a new Well of Eternity. The exultant Illidan, believing that the new Well was a gift to future generations, was shocked when Furion hunted him down. Furion explained to his brother that magic was innately chaotic and that its use would inevitably lead to widespread corruption and strife. Still, Illidan refused to relinquish his magical powers.

Knowing full well where Illidanā€™s treacherous schemes would eventually lead, Furion decided to deal with his power-crazed brother once and for all. With Cenariusā€™ help, Furion sealed Illidan within a vast underground chamber ā€“ to remain chained and powerless until the end of time. Concerned that destroying the new Well might bring about an even greater catastrophe, the night elves resolved to leave it be. However, Furion declared that they would never practice the arts of magic again. Under Cenariusā€™ watchful eye, they began to study the ancient arts of druidism that would enable them to heal the ravaged earth and re-grow their beloved forests at the base of Mount Hyjal.

As the centuries passed, the night elvesā€™ new society grew strong and expanded throughout the budding forest that they came to call Ashenvale. Many of the creatures and species that were abundant before the Great Sundering, such as furbolgs and quilboars, reappeared and flourished in the land. Under the druidsā€™ benevolent leadership, the night elves enjoyed an era of unprecedented peace and tranquility under the stars.

However, many of the original high-borne survivors grew restless. Like Illidan before them, they fell victim to the withdrawal that came from the loss of their coveted magics. They were tempted, once again, to tap the energies of the Well of Eternity and exult in their magical practices. Dathā€™Remar, the brash, outspoken leader of the high-borne, began to mock the druids publicly ā€“ calling them cowards for refusing to wield the magic that was theirs by right. Furion and the druids chaffed of Dathā€™Remarā€™s arguments and warned the high-borne that any use of magic would be punishable by death. In their insolence, Dathā€™Remar and his followers unleashed a terrible magical storm upon Ashenvale in an ill-fated attempt to convince the druids to rescind their law.

The druids, unable to bring themselves to slaughter so many of their kin, decided to exile the reckless high-borne from their lands.

http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/misc/Warcraft%20III%20Manual.pdf

2 Likes

You could take it that way, just as easily as I could see that as both the druid and priestess. I think they just should have been specific.

Sure. But obviously if I find that unreasonable, Iā€™m not going to to be able to convince you of it. Thatā€™s just how language is.

To each their own.

3 Likes

Oh boy, this is going nowhere.

I think it is fair to say that night elf society is a matriarchy because of the main government body being tyrande and the sisterhood of Elune.

But everyone knows Malfurion is the most powerful druid in the world, and probably the most powerful alliance character in general, and want it or not, power gives you a good level of authority.

And i find this whole argument on both sides a bit too focused on what it was rather than what it is.

Tyrande and Malfurion are leading the nelves.
Sisterhood of Elune is above in the hierarchy than other organizations.
The sentinels are lead by Shandris, while there is a special task force led by Jarod.

The sisterhood of Elune will follow whatever they think Elune is ordering and the only character that had direct contact with Elune was Tyrande, but it seems that Elune is not answering Tyrande regular prayers anymore and that is why she went to do the night warrior thing.

For me it doesnt matter who is in charge as long as their people can do what they want to achieve their goals.

2 Likes

A man the strongest character in this, the Year of Our Lord Two-Thousand upon Twenty?
https://i.imgur.com/Ljsoqas.gif

That can be read that their Power is actually ABOVE Petty nationā€™s governances, not separate from itā€¦

Thatā€™s about her reforming the Sisterhood.
Yes, she played a PART in shaping the Night Elf Culture, along side Malfurion.

Then why did she SPECIFICALLY say she had no Authority to intervene SPECIFICALLY regarding Fandral? If she had authority over Him and Him Alone as a Night Elf, she could of Investigated, Demanded for him to show his ā€œresearchā€, Taking it up with the Cenarion Circle directly, refused his orders for Marrowgrain, Kicked him out of Teldressil, or even Arrest him. Really, ANYHTHING!

She didnā€™t even so much as follow up on the Concerns of the her people when they brought it to her attention. If she had the Authority but refused to use it when their were that many red flags, the only possible conclusion is that she was Grossly Incompetent.

Another way of looking at it is that two difference sources can be telling from two difference points of view. Someone telling the Story from living it would have one description and someone from outside telling it differently.

For example, for an outside observer, they would say that it was the Night Elves as a whole did something because they were not privy to the details of the event (or didnā€™t see any difference in the Druids as a group and the Night Elves as a whole.)

1 Like

Except we have explicit examples of Tyrande ordering druids aroundā€¦

ā€œSole ruler of the Night Elf nation, remaining that way for thousands of years.ā€

Who knows, maybe she doesnā€™t want to be tyrannical? Maybe because Fandral wasnā€™t breaking any obvious laws? It doesnā€™t matter because we HAVE seen her ordering high ranking druids around.

1 Like

Except we donā€™t know the context of those orders.
Broll was a Warrior of the Night Elves and likely was a Soldier under Tyrande during the war. Sheā€™d have as much authority as would any commander.
Also, her Authority probably ended where the Cenarion Circleā€™s began. Broll Stole the Idol on his own accord, without needing Tyrande to order him to do so, so he was working entirely as his own agent when he went against Fandral.
Plus, Hamuul knew about Tyrandeā€™s plans so it isnā€™t like she was working without the Cenarion Circleā€™s Permission.

Not to mention, thereā€™s always the fact that people often Order people around in this game when they really donā€™t have any authority to do so. Our Characters are always getting ordered around and we humor them because it benefits us.

After Malfurion went to sleep.
Weā€™ve already covered that.

Conjecture.

But she had suspicion. That was enough for a investigation.

Weā€™ve seen her order EVERYONE around, regardless of Class or Raceā€¦
Itā€™s sort of her personality.

Yes, we know EXACTLY what the context wasā€¦ because we saw it from an objective perspective in the damn novel!

And you call ME bias? Dudeā€¦

No, because BROLL BEARMANTLE IS CENARION CIRCLE!

Oh, so women can only be in power when men are not available? Got itā€¦

Thatā€™s not true, by the way, this was established before Mal went sleepy.

You mean likeā€¦ Your entire argument? Okay.

Maybe she did and found nothing. We know the higher echlons of the Sisterhood knew more than the public.

I wonder what that could meanā€¦ -_-

1 Like

We saw a typical conversation between a bossy woman and a weak-willed man.
Actually, is was a fairly poorly written exchange too. Had Broll actually pushed it, I doubt she would of really had the Authority to command him, without Hamuulā€™s knowledge and consent. Frankly, for all we know, Tyrandeā€™s way of ā€œOrderingā€ him was to get Hamuul to command him.

And if Tyrandeā€™s Order conflicted with that of the Cenarion Circle, He would of Followed the Cenarion Circleā€™s orders firstā€¦ (Or at least wrestled with the dilemma first.)

No. Both Women AND Men can be in power.
Itā€™s not an ā€œEither/Orā€ question, you know.

No.
conĀ·jecĀ·ture

/kənĖˆjekCHər/

an opinion or conclusion formed on the basis of incomplete information.

Literally your headcanon.