Is it true that Night elf society is matriarchal

Tbh I think male Night Elves do struggle against their genders expectations but it isn’t portrayed. An egalitarian society doesn’t happen overnight. The Night Elves are an old formerly immortal race. I’d see the younger set as more accepting but it’s hard for older people to change.

I’ll leave it here. I don’t want to make this post spiral into crazy town lol.

2 Likes

Actually … it kind of did. Kal’dorei society was stratified by caste, not gender. But during the Sundering the bulk of the noble castes, in particualar the Highborne were wither wiped out, or converted to Naga. or sealed themselves up under a dome in Suramar.

The bulk of the survivors were the peasant class Kal’dorei. While there were Highborne or Quel’dorei with them, they would get themselves exiled later on. leaving pretty much the “Belter” caste of Kal’dorei as the only remaining caste. (Priests of Elune by nature, gave up their caste affiliation.)

1 Like

The USA is not a patriarchy

4 Likes

Ask any woman who’s had to deal with the glass ceiling in corporate America…which still bloody exists.

There were people who chose Trump over Clinton in 2016 SPECIFICALLY for no other reason that she was a woman.

There were women who confessed to voting for Trump specifically because their husbands told them to. I’ve heard no history of the reverse.

23 Likes

All the playable WoW races are egalitarian/a close approximation to it now.

We have stories of Thrall openly making a declaration women are equal to men and Magni changing his stance to female heirs/guards. The same is true in night elven society.

Women in mid 20s and under are doing better then men in all aspects. Education, make more money in jobs. A handful of cooperate elites making issues doesn’t change how are society truly is.

3 Likes

The Bureau of Labor Statistics begs to disagree. The situation has improved but but women are not at parity, much less ahead.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that, in 2013, female full-time workers had median weekly earnings of $706, compared to men’s median weekly earnings of $860. Women aged 35 years and older earned 74% to 80% of the earnings of their male counterpart

11 Likes

rushes into theater

WAIT NO, DON’T START YET!!

rushes across people in lane

I HAD TO GET MY POPCORN!!

sits in seat

Alright… continue.

29 Likes

This. I will admit in a controversial light that WoW does have an issue of bowing to typical trope norms on regard to gender.

The Night elves also took a bit of inspiration from the Drow, who are matriarchal with a BDSM streak a mile wide.

The last time I saw a MMO with strict gender roles was Warhammer Age of Reckoning. And to be fair, anyone who suggests breaking that up in fantasy needs to be beaten with fire hoses.

3 Likes

Oi! In Warhamma, Orcs is ruled by a spore-iarchy. Dis means da biggest an’ meanest is in charge. Every other grot gets in line, or deys squig food.

8 Likes

Squigmasters were so fun to play when I needed a break from being a Bride of Kaine.

Edit: Caemun, get in the discord.

1 Like

https://i.imgur.com/l5NBqlI.jpg

1 Like

I saved you a spot, we still haven’t gotten the angry femi-

Wait, no, I might get a forum vacation!

5 Likes

Oh noes! Ebil feminists! Fly to your safe space! Fly I say!

6 Likes

Oh no. What horror was unleashed in this thread?

Pass the popcorn.

3 Likes

It’s ok I’ll just ask my mommy to tuck me in.

No one can attack me under the sheets c:

On a more serious note, this thread is gonna derail into the depths of Il’gynoth’s behind, mark my words.

2 Likes

Not deep enough.

3 Likes

I can’t wait. Entertain mommy.

4 Likes

They actually did break some gender norms, just not all of them.

Dark elf sorcerers, for example, are banned in lore but for Age of Reckoning they were suddenly allowed back in to justify their playability.

I’m also not 100% certain, but I’m pretty sure in WHFB lore dwarven women aren’t allowed to fight at all.

playing any race other than ork<

1 Like