Is It Safe To Say It's Not Just Nostalgia?

Disagree…

2 Likes

I’d say yes if streamers weren’t basically paid adverts. Not saying blizzard paid anyone to promote classic, but it definitely doesn’t hurt big streamers to cater to a classic audience.

Nothing is safe to say.

I’d have to admit that Classic wasn’t anything that I’ve ever been interested in, but having been invited to the stress tests (and despite not being able to get past the login and character creation bosses during either test), I’ve had a chance to play afterwards during that 24 hour window.

And I have to admit, I’ve enjoyed it more than I though I would, and it wasn’t just the nostalgia part of it. I only started playing WoW during early Wrath, so I didn’t get the real Vanilla experience, but there were enough things that were familiar even with a Wrath Baby Cow like me that are no longer present, like weapon skills and such.

My only real issue has been overpopulation so that doing a quest to kill X critters takes way longer, even in a group, just because there are so many people doing the same quest and the critters don’t respawn fast enough to accommodate everyone. But hopefully layering will help address that, at least at the start.

Whether my newfound interest in Classic continues when it actually launches remains to be seen, and for how long thereafter, who knows. Maybe the nostalgic part of the experience wears off, but then again, my guild has enough people interested that we’ll likely have more people on playing it than we’ve had since the first month of BfA, which will also be nice. One of the worst parts of BfA has been the loss of that social aspect of the game due to fewer and fewer people playing and those that do playing less and less. So I expect Classic, at least for a while, won’t have that issue even though how long that lasts remains to be seen.

But I’ll certainly be trying it out now, which is not where I was just a month ago when I was not interested in Classic at all.

/moo :cow:

It’s just nostalgia. deal with it.

imagine truly believing this OMEGALUL. back to the classic boards filth

2 Likes

For some, it is nostalgia. For many, it’s just a longing for how good this game used to be in terms of RPG elements. It’s definitely something to try out, though, since BFA is loathed by a lot of people.

1 Like

You may want to wait until it launches and has been around for a few months to see how many people are playing it before any claims are made.

As I have linked and quoted multiple times Blizzard fully expected it to be very popular at release and quickly tapering of as the “tourists” leave.

1 Like

Do you know why I know its nostalgia?

If a game like Classic was released without the WoW IP backing, it would bomb. Horribly.

6 Likes

Actually it should have been flagged. There are multiple of the same type of thread made daily, it is in the wrong forum, and the last part is flat out trolling.

1 Like

Many of those “annoyances” are actually what people like about Classic and RPG’s in general.

That immersive feeling of actually being there, of actually struggling. Similar to what survival games bring to the table. Like in Silent Hill or Resident Evil when you run around fighting monsters with a 2x4 because you only have 4 bullets. That sense of scrimping and saving resources, of realizing how vulnerable you against your enemies and in a wider world. It’s a huge draw for a lot of players.

I’m not saying its the only draw. or the best way for WOW to go. But it’s not like that style of game is unheard of, or unpopular, or illogical. It’s just that some folks enjoy that style of game more and that’s ok. When I want to feel ridiculously strong and like a true “hero” I go play like God of War or Diablo where I just smash everything in my path in a stylistic fashion, including mythical/legendary opponents.

1 Like

People trying to argue over this are dumb.

Yes, there will be people who log in and say “Omg this sucks, classic is dumb” and quit

Yes, there will be people who get to level 50 and say “This is too grindy and not worth it, this sucks” and quit

Yes, there will be people who get to max level and say things like “This is too hard and not worth it” and quit.

There’s people who will play it and love it.

Not everyone’s going to act exactly the same, deal with it.

It’ll dominate Battle for Azeroth for 2-3 weeks due to swarms of people wanting to try it out. Whether it’s for nostalgic reasons or not, the majority of them will stop playing it after a few weeks.

That’s just common sense and fact.

PvE

PvP

It’s about the same. By the way, don’t tell me that pet battles, warfronts, and world quests are meaningful to you in any single way. Also, why did you mention Warmode, PvP, raiding, and dungeons at all? As for warmode, PvP servers. Where you couldn’t switch it like a musical chair. I also like how you mentioned emissaries next to world quests as if it isn’t the same exact thing. Nobody even likes 80% of what you mentioned.

1 Like

No, it’s a vast majority nostalgia.

No one can claim that it’s absolutely, 100% nostalgia and nothing else, but I’m willing to bet that it’s in the 90%+ range.

The subset of people who will play classic, and stay there forever, and not get fustrated with the lack of things to do at max level, and the brick wall that is finding a raid group is very, very, very small.

Anyone who isn’t in that group is driven by nostalgia, or curiosity about someone else’s nostalgia.

It’s amazing how you can determine this to be true without any proof.

1 Like

So in the case of Classic, it’s still just nostalgia.

Why? Because you only get 1 first time. After that you know where the ammo is, where the upgraded weapons are, where the zombies are hiding, and the best ways to kill them. Which is why games make sequels and game studios create new games.

You can’t recapture the mystique of the “struggle” of being new and knowing nothing by going back and playing the original version again. You’ll quickly see, because you know how things work now, that most of the struggle was just terrible designs and broken classes.

I’d rather have vanilla version of that than BFA’s version of it

2 Likes

Omg i forgot about that cancer wall of crap! Feels so good to see people have to eat that post!

Well if you do the exact same quests with the exact same class in the exact same way every time, I mean that’ s just you being silly. And kind of the point I’m making. Those who are attracted to Classic aren’t looking for a power leveling meta. It’s not just a sprint to the finish line followed by an endless grind. They are in it for an interactive journey.

In regards to “knowing where the ammo is” in WOW Classic that’s not really a thing. Because in both classic & retail, drops are not guaranteed or fixed outside of elites & bosses. Most of the mundane materials you will be collecting are a % chance from mobs, so there is no guarantee that “If I kill 3 birds, I’ll have enough meat to make food to get me through this next quest chain”. You might have to wait for more birds to respawn, or you might have to go and kill something else to cook. Depends on your drop chance, thus making it slightly different each time.

On top of that the fighting itself along the way is more engaging. For example, I would rather spend 15 minutes killing 25 plainstriders for their beaks in classic, kiting them, eating food, drinking pots, making sure not to pull too many, etc etc…iin an engaging fashion. Far preferable to spending 5 minutes killing on 20 plainstriders, but having it be a braindead grind.

See despite what people on Reddit and most MMO forums today, I don’t think the majority of players want to cash out mentally when they play a video game. If offered the choice between a game that is engaging and at least moderately grueling for 80-90% of the time with very little down time, versus a game that you can play while watching netflix the vast majority of the time…I’m willing to bet my life the vast majority of players in ANY genre will take the first option.