Is It Safe To Say It's Not Just Nostalgia?

Is it safe to say that the Classic interest isn’t just Nostalgia and “rose tinted glasses”?

Now that anyone can quite easily watch a streamer and see exactly what Vanilla WoW was like, and realise how much more fun, rewarding and how there was actually RPG elements in it!!

Even the naysayers are changing their mind… Plenty of streamers who said they weren’t interested in Classic at all are having so much fun and playing Classic Beta more than retail…

Is the anti-classic crowd going to eat their words once again just like the wall of no?? lol

126 Likes

There’s 100% a big chunk of people who are just going to dip their toes into Classic for nostalgia, but trying to claim that ALL of the interest is entirely nostalgia is very close-minded.

That said, I think even the people who have a legitimate interest in classic for reasons other than nostalgia are going to find themselves “completing” it and either quitting or moving back to retail within 2 or 3 months (if they stagger content releases, then, okay, maybe they’ll come back now and again to finish up, but you know what I mean, it just lacks staying power in the long term).

The people who stay there long-term, the ones who “main” it? Those people are going to be a small minority. Enough to warrant keeping the servers, yes, but compared to the larger WoW population? Tiny.

47 Likes

I’d say that for at least half the people fervently protecting it, it really is just nostalgia for them.

There is a huge chunk of players however that really do prefer classic to retail, and that’s totally fine.

When you look at individual systems I think retail wins by a mile, but when you look at how all those systems work and mesh together, classic really does feel like a better game.

I’ll be playing both regardless.

14 Likes

If I were a betting man, I would bet that a very large chunk of it is, in fact, nostalgia. Of course there’s going to be young people who weren’t around for vanilla checking it out, but it’s probably going to be mostly people in my age group going back to experience the original Gallow’s End tavern music in all of its glory.

6 Likes

Considering that Classic isn’t even out yet, I don’t think it’s “safe to say” anything honestly :woman_shrugging:

40 Likes

Yeah and it’s been more popular on Twitch than anything BfA :joy:

22 Likes

Yes because it’s been asked for by a certain crowd for a decade and the concept has had huge controversies on more than one occasion and it’s release is coming up in a few months.

Vs an expected routine patch coming soon in an expansion that’s been out for a year.

Of course the new thing is going to get the views.

Apex Legends was beating Fortnite in Twitch views when it was new too, and now it’s sitting at 1/7th Fortnite’s views.

33 Likes

Sure. Because to people who’ve never played Vanilla, Classic will be that “new” mmo they need to try out. Some may like it and stay to reach 60. While others may be so used to the QoL changes WoW has made over the years that they won’t stay to try to reach 60.

5 Likes

Twitch is arguably an engine for the hype train itself. Of course it’s going to be massive for a bit. Classic had been hyped for literally years.

4 Likes

Where did you get the confidence boost to make such a suggestion?

From what I see, the rose tinted glasses bias is quite obvious. Players yearning for a better WoW, they couldn’t seem to find it in the future so they looked into the past.

Right now, all the little inconveniences, annoyances, and imperfections are masked by the hype. When the hype passes they’re start bothering you to no end.

19 Likes

Simply put? Vanilla is just a better video game than BfA.

39 Likes

Nope.

Tell me again when the cap is 60.

You get 60, because you can and that is basically all you focus on.

You then only have 40 person raiding, which you can either do or can’t do.

I leveled slower than most people, in Vanilla. Even so, I was at 60 in a couple months and had my 2nd 60 a couple months after that (since all the first one could do was raid, which I could not really do on my schedule.) Nov 23, 2004 was release, by Feb 15 2005 my second character was showing up as 60 on whatever that census site is.

The nostalgia will wear off pretty fast, once people can see all that the thing is.

Oh laws no; It was incredibly worse. It had one thing to do, at max level. Seriously, don’t you people remember that? Or have some of you never actually played it?

BFA actually has a lot to do, for many different playstyles. People just don’t like a lot of what those things are, but there is still a lot. Vanilla did not even have that.

In BFA, I’m not really into being in a guild and doing raids. So I mainly do solo stuff, which still gets me good gear and a 400 ilevel.

In Vanilla, with the same playstyle, I’d be in junk gear and have nothing left to do. Well, I suppose I could herb and mine and just sell it on the AH (though I’d have nothing to spend the gold on, once I got that epic mount.)

I honestly can’t wait until 2-3 months after Classic releases, when people hit “the wall.” The threads then are going to be so delicious.

25 Likes

And you felt the need to make a thread about it because…? You know what, don’t even answer.

Just know that I won’t judge you if you decide to come back to retail.

5 Likes

Exactly my point. In an MMO you should have to play with other players. This isn’t a single player game.

5 Likes

It’s defiantly not just nostalgia. What intrests me in classic is not the nostalgia (hated everything but PvP back in the day myself.) but the old school RPG that makes the world more immersive and interesting for me.

13 Likes

I don’t think it’s all nostalgia. Nostalrius had 800,000 “registered” accounts (whatever that means) so obviously people loved it.

5 Likes

A lot of players (myself included as well as many friends and streamers) never bothered with private servers for various reasons. The main one being they could be wiped at any time because it’s not an official blizzard product (take Nostalrius as an example). Many private servers also have shady devs who sell gold on the sly, sell gear for real money, etc. and the fact that the actual coding is far from being perfect so people avoided them because they wanted official blizzard supported servers.

All those players who refused to play on private servers for any of those reason will be able to try out Classic.

2 Likes

Classic is going to be out and dominating BFA and the haters will still say its all nostalgia and rose tinted glasses.

19 Likes

And the reverse is also true. Classic is not popular just because of gameplay. Though, there’s quite a bit of people trying to popularize that idea.

2 Likes

Shouldn’t count your chickens before they hatch. I know it’ll be impossible for the fanboys and armchair Machiavellis who believe they can predict the future to control themselves, but logically we should wait at least until December to measure its success.

Saying it’s been a success before it’s even launched is ignorant.

10 Likes