Is FF14 better for solo than Wow? For group/MMO stuff? Looking for honesty

I have been trying to get into it, not really my cup of tea, but if you love games with endless people it is popping off right now. Swtor is my true fun solo game, Wow here was until they banned broadcast software and killed my favorite part of the game.

3 Likes

I agree. World zones, dungeons, raids, pvp are not the focus of FF14. Standing in lum luminsa and /dance is, or spamming brain dead content for glams.

2 Likes

Thank you for perfectly demonstrating the perspective of a WoW player who has been conditioned to worship the loot treadmill to the point that you cannot see the value in anything else.

5 Likes

Your replay makes no sense, as I have been subbed more to ff14 than wow for the past years. I am not a WoW player.

2 Likes

From my understanding yes it is much better for a solo player. I started leveling in FF, only level 16 or so but it’s a pretty well designed game so far. I really like seeing people’s awesome armor, looks a lot better than WoW’s 2d armor and you can dye it whatever color you want. There’s even housing and apparently it’s a mini game to get the housing and furniture itself. I think the ultimate/hard mode raids are only for cosmetics, not gear. Gear isn’t really important like it is in wow. People have a more casual/laid back mindset in general. Honestly all casual players should try FF14, I know I am, and that reaper class coming out looks sick.

4 Likes

Your reply makes no sense either, i cant tell if you hate or enjoy FF.

3 Likes

Maybe you are just slow? Both warcraft and ff14 have their own things going, and pvp, dungeons, raids content arent ff14 strong suit unless youre a casual.

1 Like

I’ve never played FF14, I’m supposed to know that how? Lol imagine being as hostile as you

2 Likes

It shows you how easy ff14 is, you never played it and obtain level 16. Amazing.

Ff has mandatory dungeons and raids to progress the story. That alone would make some of the casuals heads around here explode.

It’s always nice playing a game that doesn’t push you to always be doing end game content or to be hyper competitive 24/7 just so you can get that 1% upgrade.

This is my biggest problem. I keep trying to get into the game but the beginning is mind numbingly boring IMO. I really want to stick with it as the majority of people say “get past ARR and the game gets MUCH better”.

1 Like

i actually ended up buying a story skip for my brother, the first time he tried it he got to level 30 and quit because it just was so boring to him. once he came back and used the skip though, he played for nearly a year before he had to quit (had a kid and didn’t want to inconvenience people in groups).

other than maybe moving some abilities around i’m not sure what else they can really do, they cut out a bunch of the boring quests and it helped some but it’s still not something i would call enjoyable

1 Like

Yeah I won’t lie I’m a bit bored now at level 16. But to be fair, being level 16 in Wow is pretty boring too.

1 Like

To be honest ARR acts as a barrier of entry for the game. It helps shape the community and keeps everyone on the same page.

ARR pretty much will set the tone of what type of game you are getting yourself into and once you are done you are rewarded with HW.

I would say it depends what your looking for really.

Here are some of my impressions of FFXIV. I am currently a lvl 53 dragoon or what is jokingly referred to as “Floor tanks.”

• FFXIV allows you to play any “Job” which are like classes. Each job has it’s own bit of story quest attached to it as well. So there is a ton of solo content if you want to try every job.
  • Professions feel more relevant than they have in WoW for quite some time. You can like the job/classes take every profession if you feel so inclined.
  • The story has A LOT of dialogue. So you have to be willing to read countless text bubbles. Not all of it is voiced. The dialogue itself is kind of that “Old timey” sort of dialogue where characters will say things like “Anon” and “Holdeth”. It can be at times a bit jarring or hard to read.
  • There is a considerable amount of lore for each of the races, each race having an alternate version/faction. Ignore the “Astrology” aspect as it really doesn’t mean a whole lot.
  • Armor and gear allows for a bit more freedom in aesthetic looks. You have a transmog system with things like glamor plates/prisms. You can save 15 different glamour plates iirc. You also can have a number of outfits ready to switch too. There is separate crafting and gathering gear from your regular gear. There is also a dye system for dying armor which is nice.
  • Regardless of class you get a personal chocobo which you can rank up and it will help you fight enemies as well as heal you, etc.
  • There is a paid cash shop but unlike WoW? It exists outside the game via a mogstation so it’s not as intrusive. They do sell mounts, boosts, etc. But unlike recent WoW expansions? You can find a lot of nice/unique mounts just playing the game. The Behemoth mount is badass and only takes a few achievement medals which you will accumulate over game play.
  • Group content is generally similar to WoW. If you played WoW chances are you will do fine in dungeons, etc. There are of course some subtle mechancial differences like a limit break, etc. I’m sure some people could tell you more about things like rotations, etc. whih leads me to my next point.
  • The community in general is pretty welcoming.
  • I can’t speak to raids yet. But watching Asmongold play FFXIV the raids look pretty challenging. I do like fighting some of the primals. First time I did Titan I got yeeted out of the arena.

I know that’s a lot but I hope that gives you some ideas. Only thing I will say is that if you decide to give a try? Once you hit about 50-53? stick with it because it becomes a bit of a slog trying to get through Heavensward. I guess it was content that came out between ARR and Stormblood.

1 Like

i don’t know that i would agree, ARR was a snoozefest compared to the story in the expansions imo so i can see why people are put off by it. at least they don’t have to pay for it anymore though, it would suck to spend all that time getting through 50 levels of fetch quests and then have to pay to see it get any better lol

1 Like

" I’m just sick of reading FF14 posts in the WORLD OF WARCRAFT FORUMS"
Not that I do not see your point but I am wondering… why are you even reading them if you dislike them?
Plus, I do not find it too odd to be talking about similar games in a forum but that is just me.
Peace!

I recently changed from free trial to paid sub and pre ordered the expansion. If Solo playing is your thing, FF14 will be great for you IMHO. Just imagine a fleshed out version of the campaign in WoW but with actual rewards that will allow you to progress and a story that…well…tells a story, lol.

If you ever played any Square Enix JRPG, it feels like that but with MMO flair where you can hang out with folks, play with others, etc. but don’t get it twisted, the bread/butter is your character in the world/story.

I say, give the free trial a try. The free trial is actually really good as it goes all the way to the 1st expansion with full story up to that point. Credits will roll as you beat it too, haha. If you want to continue forward, buy the game and sub.

Good luck.

1 Like

To be fair I thought a lot of wow players would be use to a boring znooze fest of a grind.

I use to this ARR was super bad but after SL I’d give it a strong meh.

And yes that free to lv 60 is huuuuge. I’m shocked they have it that high but then again that’s SE for ya.