Is "Elitism" getting out of hand in WoW?

I work 60+ hrs a week and still have time for a set raid schedule, that’s not an excuse in my opinion having a job and being able to prioritize.
I would say this game isn’t meant to be played single player but it had veered that way more so than in previous expansions. I personally hate single player games although darksouls/red dead redemptions/metal gear and a few other titles I love.
You also don’t need to no life the game to clear content either, I raid 8 hrs a week on a 2 night schedule. There are better guilds than mine that do it on a 6 hr schedule or less.

Unless you’re a developer in the modern game industry, you should have plenty of free time between shifts to spend as you please, some people spend that on WoW, and do very well in that time.

The “I have a jawb” excuse doesn’t really cut it.

3 Likes

ok…

so you’re saying your realm of wow doesn’t even intertwine with said “1% of the game”… why are you even complaining then?

1 Like

Ugh. I hate it when people do posts like this. It’s awful to respond to…I’m just going to pick some posts out of here.

Not the point I was making. It started with saying hello and making friends. Which then led me to playing with much better players.

Not true. Back before things like CRZ and the Group Finder we had server communities. It definitely started as playing with random people. But then those unfamiliar faces suddenly became friends and allies that were willing to take me on their runs. When the same people keep showing up in your groups, eventually you’re more than likely going to say hello.

As to now it’s all CRZ. So the odds of seeing those same players are slim to none. It’s just not happening.

No it isn’t. That’s not an elitist thing to do at all. They wish to blow through the raid they’ve done for multiple weeks now. There’s nothing elitist about that. They set the standard and if you don’t meet it then why would you want in to begin with?

It really isn’t. Player behavior now compared to what it was is not determined by me and me alone. Systems encourage a very rough experience if you make mistakes right now. I could kick you and get a replacement in less than 2 minutes.

2 Likes

I learn better hands on and after a few wipes, but I’d say for mythic jaina I know the fight in and out in 50-100 pulls. There are people that need 200 or more, everyone’s different. But as far as watching videos goes I do my research but until you’re in the thick of it most of it doesn’t stick because it usually doesn’t relate to your role in the fight and how your guild does it.

1 Like

I was either going to level a Lightbound or a Void Elf a week ago. Then I saw that Fable had an anniversary edition available on Steam.

I’ve been enjoying playing Fable instead.

BfA just hasn’t had the end-game content to hold my interest, it just feels like an extension of Legion with new pretty places to play in.

I’ll give 8.2 a shot, I still want to have fun in the game, but I’m not super hype for anything but the two new sets of Heiratage Armor.

I think a lot of people think mythic raiding is like Method going for world first, not understanding that they’re going for world first, and are insanely undergeared for mythic when they’re doing what they are doing.

Full heroic players would have a much, much less awful time, so long as they are organized, and don’t whine and cry when you give them directions.

Mythic is hard, but it really isn’t this herculean effort that people make it up to be, unless we talk a legit broken fight, like KJ and Avatar in Tomb.

1 Like

I cannot say the same for my job. I prioritize work and family over this game. It’s just something fun, and honestly I knew 15 years ago to stay away from a game made by a company that puts more and more artificial scarcities on players. Kudos to you.

I don’t understand how having a job suddenly means that the game should change to compensate for that. I have a job and go to school. I still almost got through Mythic Uldir.

1 Like

This is where groups fall apart though.

People generally don’t like being told they are wrong and they especially don’t like being organized so they can worh with 19 others to complete an objective.

Theres a reason that most guilds don’t raid above Heroic, the time and personal investment are just a couple.

Wasn’t complaining. Only stating that I avoid high end content. The game has enough content outside top tier to keep me playing.

Oh god. KJ was hilarious when it came out in LFR.

I understand there are people like you that have very little time outside of irl but I don’t think the hardcore community really affects you if all you do is wq/warfronts/islands/leveling, lfr norm and heroic raid an m+.
If you have trouble getting into groups like I said before, make friends, join a guild that has a lot of active players or make your own groups.
I’ve joined plenty of groups where the leaders had no business in doing. But I also think if you lack the time for a game heavily influenced by the amount of time you poor into it I think there’d be better options if you hate the minimal content you can experience.

I am not looking for compensation. I’ve only stated that I set limitations for myself. You do what you want.

Yeah, in my mythic guild for BoD’s case, we had a healer that was really bad and eventually left, but he was friends with one of the more important people and it sort-of domino’d from there.

Honestly, we probably could have recovered, but leadership was gone at that point, so there was no picking up the pieces. I stand by those assertions, still. If people just stopped being dumb and did what they were told, the fights ended up really clean.

Half of our raid nights were typically spent re-clearing opulence, because aforementioned bad healer kept dying to the fire walls.

Understood. Sorry for the mixup.

Honestly I wouldn’t say this is elitist. I think requirements are out of hand because of how the systems have been changing. Why do you think raider IO exists? Blizzard has made item level almost meaningless so people require absolute bonkers ilvl for menial tasks. Titanforging has created many issues ranging from this to apathy. Gear sources are way too abundant and common as well. I think casuals having gear is great but right now gear is largely meaningless and that needs to change if we want any improvement here.

I haven’t really met too many elitist people and the ones I have met don’t even participate in the hardcore content and usually yell at people for being new or clueless, both of which are fine for a low m+ key or normal raid. I think elitism in games has always been present, I don’t think it’s gotten “worse” though my experiences have been largely pleasant so I’m not sure.

I’ve had so many guilds fall apart over the years, I’ve been either gm/officer or raid lead of almost every guild I’ve been in with the exception of this one I’ve been in for like 4 years.

I’ve had the core raid rosters of the majority of my guilds just want to start a new guild elsewhere for a better recruitment pool and left the rest of the undesirable players behind which is understandable.
I’ve also had drama and things like people being friends with one another or dating eachother cause the raid to fall apart also.

Obviously it depends on the person, I’m sure the only reason threads like this exist is cause someone had a really bad experience at one point or another and are fixated on that one story.

Yeah probably. I mean I’ve seen elitist people and usually they’re pretty bad in general. Most of the “elitist” people I’ve seen have been very angry people yelling at someone for not knowing a mechanic in a heroic pug or someone whose new to the game and wanted to try some dungeons when they themselves don’t even participate in the hardest content available. Though obviously everyone’s experiences will vary. It seems pretty uncommon from my POV tbh

2 Likes