Is "Elitism" getting out of hand in WoW?

After going through another thread about someone who had an issue with an elitist jerk it prompted me to write my experiences but on a more general scale. I honestly think elitism isn’t as bad as it was in Vanilla but for some, it has gotten worse. I’m pretty geared and I pretty much pull my own weight in high M+ keys and even our raids but I’m not so big headed to the point that I’m above helping people out.

But it does seem for others elitism in this game has gotten worse but what is funny is this game does not cure cancer, nor are you making the world a better place, nor will society remember your name when you died because of this game (maybe the developers but not so much the players). Yes I get that some people do use this game for a job but for the most part on the grand scale of things that are important, I can never understand why people have this ego when they achieve a certain status in the game. I guess the evident nature of a human being who is successful perhaps?

Thoughts?

45 Likes

‘Getting’?
Friend, it got out of hand LONG ago!
Trust this old BC crawler!

31 Likes

Their opinions don’t pay my bills or game time :rofl::rofl:$$$$

In short, elitists’ opinions do not bother me.

10 Likes

yea that thread made me open up my guild promotion in the guild recruitment lol. It’s so sad that people try to control others and force them to play whatever way, when in reality these games are sandboxy enough to basically play however you like. At the end of the day, it is still a game, after all. It should be enjoyed, not stress you out.

15 Likes

It’s especially bad now.

People requiring 410+ gear for a +10.
People requiring you to have AotC before they invite you to Normal BoD.
People insta-kicking healers from IEs.

Etc. And that’s just the less personal attacks.

51 Likes

Poor social skills, fragile ego, and a touch of narcissism, would be my guess.

I don’t experience these players often because I run almost exclusively with friends/guildies. I feel for anyone that has to pug most content.

Edit: To clarify, I’m equating elitism to being a maladjusted dbag. Expecting others to be prepared for the content you intend to run is not elitism.

15 Likes

People who did what the OP is claiming in the other thread aren’t so much elitists, just bad people. They’d be doing that no matter what game they were playing.

That being said i think this expansion is largely at fault for coddling the players like never before. The only place they have to go looking for more gear is content they didn’t used to do and aren’t capable of doing for a variety of reasons. At a certain level people except that you’ll understand the fundamentals of the content.

5 Likes

Gamer logic: I can press buttons and move a mouse in a better pattern than you; Therefore I am a better life form than you in every way.

I jest but some people just seem to act like its their truth.

43 Likes

Then they more than likely never heard of this event.

Or this guy.

11 Likes

:joy:

AAHHA This is beautiful. I love it.

7 Likes

Wow people are really pulling this BS on your server?

what exactly are we defining as elitism here? i feel like that term has 15 different definitions, much like casual does as well.

this isn’t a bait im just trying to find a definition so were all on the same page because i’ve been called it before just because i raid at the level i do…

5 Likes

Elitism? How about laziness, selfishness, and boredom.

Why do you want an item level way higher than needed for the content? So you don’t have to actually work to clear that content (laziness). You don’t give a rat’s about anybody who wants to clear the content and hasn’t been playing long enough to meet all your requirements (selfishness). The Blizzard model of repeat the same content a bazillion times has you utterly bored and you aren’t immersed or even really having fun anymore. You just want to roll the dice for a prize already, (Boredom.)

Call it what it is.

And Blizzard fosters this kind of behavior. They absolutely do. The guys in charge have lost all sense of wonder, of adventure, or exploration, and of fun. They are just designing a game that leads many players to playing like a slot machine.

18 Likes

By elitism I’m referring to individuals who are successful in the game (geared, difficult achievement titles, high end raiding guild/gear) who have this overbearing attitude about who they play with or who is allowed to play with them.

11 Likes

This is the thing that annoys me to see the most. I actually went though 2 IE this week where one of 2 were trying to kick the other for being a healing spec, and all I can do is vote no for there kick.

7 Likes

Tbh playing with bads is the worst thing imaginable. It physically hurts.

5 Likes

I think it had a lot to do with their ego.

Personally for me, the toxic people tend to be “heroic” level raiders. Or people that do +10 but never really can push super high. (Not saying that all people at that level are toxic, just that the toxic ones tend to be them)

I am a rather new player myself and had to go through being a pleb. The genuinly good people like mythic raiders and super high io score have always been nice to me.

It like when back in legion where I joined a pvp server and it had a lot of players who were hardstuck 1700 rating. They were so mean and toxic.

A common thing a find in all of them is just a big ego that they cannot live up to!

Happens in other games for me. Players in the silver-plat elo care so much about comps / meta and force it upon their teamates and then I watch high level players in their elo and no one cares despite playing at a higher level.

6 Likes

I mean…it’s their choice on who they want to play with though.

7 Likes

Elitism has been in the game since the start. I don’t think it’s getting worse per say and that it depends on the individual and their experiences.

What do you expect groups to do when we have welfare gear equal to heroic raiding ilvl gear? There has to be some sort of filter to gauge decent players from the ones who run warfronts.

Just because you’re geared like a heroic raider doesn’t mean that welfare gear will carry you through mechanics.

Edit -

There are many players, some who will be posting in this thread, who haven’t completed the most basic content of the expansion and then get mad because they aren’t invited to groups.

take a look at some of these players who complain about raider io or “elitists”, half of them are 400+ ilvl and haven’t even finished all the dungeons on even normal difficulty.

We have extreme casuals running around geared like heroic raiders and they aren’t able to complete a +5 key yet get crazy irate on the forum because the big bad elitists are mean to them and won’t carry them.

21 Likes