Is "Elitism" getting out of hand in WoW?

I’ve actually taught a few other people of my same class/spec when they first started and they’re in the top 10 of us for clearing mythic and gear. I’m pretty proud tbh, but I don’t much care for the super hardcore scene anymore, like being in a top 50 guild raiding 4+ days a week. I prefer my 2 night raid schedule although I do feel like there are a few people holding us back and for a long period of time now.

playing 1% of the game? hardly. I’ll hold my pet, mount and toy collection and achievement points up against anyone, all the while getting mythic boss kills.

In my experience, players pushing top end content are active in a wide variety of things in the game. I know this, because I actually know some of them, rather than stereotype them on the forums out of ignorance.

4 Likes

I’m big into mog collecting, mounts although I only collect those with unique models/skins and that are usually super rare or hard to acquire either due to skill or drop %. I have tons of expensive battle pets etc. and dabbled in pet battling but i find it boring. I’d say most of my time outside of raid is spent collecting mog/mounts or gold making from playing the ah.

I do very little m+ this expansion as the dungeons aren’t as enjoyable.

2 Likes

I’m referring to certain player’s attitude about grouping up with certain people. There is a certain respectful etiquette. But I believed I already explained this using my friend for example, but I’ll explain it again. I was running keys with a friend of mine who was significantly geared back in legion. I had just came back to playing Wow. I ran many high keys got geared and pumped up my dps to where I got better.

Fast forward to BFA, my friend at this time was in a high end raiding guild one of the top on my server. at this time I rarely ran with my friend cause she was always busy. I caught her one day and asked her if she wanted to run cause I missed running with her.

She then said because WoW is her life she is having people pay her to run real money. I’m like okay, but I’m not spending real money for one run. She said then I should “F-off” I then asked her what happened to her and why did she change? She then told me that “I’m too dumb that I forgot she was going through something in real life.” At that point I told her she needed actual psychiatric help and ignored her. That is what I mean by elite.

A lot of these kids online have mental issues and many use WoW as an escape but in reality they’re projecting their own issues in the game. I personally feel a lot of people don’t have nothing going on in real life so they project their anger and toxicity in the game. Others simply lack respectful etiquette and social skills.

I can’t wait for the hide armor/mog changes.

I’m too elitist for my shirt.
Too elitist for my shirt.
So elitist it hurts.
And I’m too elitist for my wrists.
Too elitist for my wrists.
My gloves, and my shoes.
I’m too elitist for your party.
Too elitist for your party.

I don’t agree with the majority of that, I do however agree people are asocial especially with the newer generation of players. They’re basically taught you can solo everything but when it comes to requiring to group with other people, these threads pop up.

And just because you picked out one case with with your friend doesn’t mean the rest will go that far. I mean I’m sure there may be players that surpassed their friends and they don’t enjoy carrying them and probably avoid doing so kind of like in your story. But if I have a friend that needs a hand if I don’t mind I’ll help. But some complete stranger I probably wouldn’t although I do help every now and then when it comes to those also.

But yeah I guess I’m 50/50 with the rest of it, unless you’re a guildy/friend I don’t want to have to carry you unless I’m getting something in return. Seems like she took it a bit further though tbh.

That seems like an aweful experince with a very, very, specific situation.

I don’t get how that can represent more than a couple hundred players at the most.

And not to nit-pick, but in the story you descrived you came off as kind of a jerk. The other person had told you they didn’t want to run you for free, so you insulted them and blocked them.

It’s not elitism, its the game VASTLY coddles a lot of the players and hands pretty much everything to them. Why do you think Vanilla through Wrath was enjoyable? Your efforts were paid off and it was awesome. Playerbase adds certain requirements in which most of the casuals have a hard time getting to filter them out to have a higher success which I dont see being a problem.

2 Likes

I personally don’t think were getting the entire story and to detail, and even then it’d be a he said she said type of deal.

No. I didn’t describe myself as a jerk see, you’re reading what you want to read. This was a friend who I ran with all the time. She changed when she got into a guild and started getting geared with high end stuff. No biggie, I just asked on a specific day because I haven’t ran with her in a while because she is always busy. The point where I blocked her was when she called me stupid cause I didn’t recall her going through real life issues of her own and that I’m supposed to know she charges for runs. Like, how am I supposed to know all of that if I don’t run with you?

It’s one thing to kindly tell me “hey my guy I’m doing runs for real life money even though you’re the homie, I have to charge you.” I would’ve respectfully declined which I did, but when you get into the disrespect and calling me an idiot because you have mental issues that’s when your behavior becomes toxic that is why I blocked.

I have a salary job where I’m making close to $90k I’m not going to spend not even $20 of that just for a stupid mythic run. And to get offended because I’m not going to pay you and you insult me because of that? Nah that is some elite stuff. It’s not my fault these people find out they’re not gods outside WoW.

I’ve ran into other elitist jerks but this one stands out because I cannot believe there are people that play this game that are mentally distressed.

So then contrary to 95% of your other posts… gear and where you get it from really doesn’t matter then… cause you know, you have rio

This post isn’t contrary to any of my other posts. I wasn’t aware I was defending handouts with that comment.

Like I said I still feel like you’re clumping everyone together because of this one experience which is why/when most of these threads pop up in the first place. They had a bad experience and come on here to share and to find out whether or not it was warranted or over excessive.

I do agree from what you’ve told us although we can’t be certain it’s accurate without both sides of it that she was a bit rude about it, but like you did I would’ve just moved on.
I’ve had many people get phased out due to that exact thing though.
I don’t enjoy leveling anymore so there usually won’t be a time I’ll be doing the same content as some of my more casual friends, and I don’t see any reward from doing it on my main other than helping someone out. I think it comes down to if they’re going to be someone you spend most of your day around but it is a two way street, if someone doesn’t enjoy the same thing I would think it’d get stale pretty quick.

And like I said this one experience stands out in my mind, although extreme, I’ve had many other encounters of jerks and elite players. What it boils down to like anything in life, is respect. I reject people all the time but there is just a level of respect and a way of going about it. People don’t have to be rude.

Thats why she called you stupid, because you didn’t remember. She is more than an avatar, theres a real person behind the keyboad.

You valuing the runs you wanted more than the person you were talking to is a bit entitled imo.

She handled it poorly by insulting you, but she was up-front about the reason she wasn’t going to run you. There isn’t a good reason to be rude about things, but you were kinda being rude first. It seems like a bad interaction with a single person to me, not something to blanket a group with.

As far as her choosing who she ran with based on them paying or not, what the problem with her being able to choose who to play with (besides obvious TOS breaks)? You may have wanted to play with them but it’s entitled to think they are obligated to play with you.

2 Likes

I sort of agree with that, I personally think respect is earned and not given. So obviously she didn’t care and I would’ve just ignored her if I was in your position. But it is the internet and there are more that are toxic/rude like that, I don’t really dwell on things you can’t change neither do I hide from them, so best thing I could said is do what you did ignore and move on but I still wouldn’t bunch everyone together like that as you probably won’t give anyone a chance that they may be different in my opinion.
Obviously it won’t be the first and it definitely won’t be the last you meet someone like that though.

Apparently reading comprehension is an issue here so I’ll break this down one more time in numbers.

1. She and I used to run together all the time not only because we were once in the same guild but we were friends.

2. As I said way early in the thread my friend is sexually ambiguous meaning he is really a she and in a discussion we had in discord some time ago she has been dealing with family issues after coming out to her family.

3. I left the guild and lost contact with said friend because there were many times I had seen she was busy.

4. Fast forward a few months later after a week’s worth of work and being busy with graduate school I came on and saw said friend.

5. I see said friend online and decided to see if said friend wants to do a run after all our lost time.

6. Said friend apparently in a high end guild now, said she does runs for real money.

7. I respectfully declined and stated I’m not paying real money for one 30 minute run.

8. Said friend made a rude remark.

9. I asked said friend “what happened to you, you used to be really cool?”

10. Said friend said “what are you stupid I told you what I’m dealing with? I’m going through personal issues”

11. Said friend thought after two months I’m supposed to remember their real life problems as if I don’t have my own real life obligations. How am I supposed to remember something someone is still dealing with two months ago.

You following me now that I just had to unnecessarily break this down?

First instal raider io. Many people hate it but if you put time into getting your score up it will help a lot.

Then apply to lower key groups then you want (In this case your friend should start joining M0.) Better yet create your own groups. While everyone is traveling to the dungeon tell the party that your interested in finding players who would like to work on higher keys. After the dungeon is completed ask if anyone would like to be added to your friends list.

This works up your score, gives you experience with mechanics and gets you a list of friends.

I’m not dwelling on it. What I did was list an example and of course I could cite others but apparently some of the people here are stuck on stupid and I have to elaborate that one particular incident. The basis of this thread was not to discuss my experience as I’ve clearly stated I didn’t find elitism much of a problem but I see it’s an issue for others, but I also wanted the opinions of others on whether it is getting bad because we all have different experiences.

The numbers and parses would say diff