Is Blizzard going to start selling physical authentators again for people who don't have Smart Phones?

Once again, a small problem is exaggerated on the forums. You don’t need cell service. Spend $10 on a used Android phone with wifi. You now have an authenticator.

3 Likes

Perhaps Grandpa or Grandma might find a ipad in their stocking for Christmas this year.

They will probably say that if you really need those features:

• Just run Windows 11
  • install the Google Play Store
  • download the App and run it on your computer.
4 Likes

I’m waiting for smartphones to inevitably get as big as my first cell phone…
Meanwhile I’ve got the authenticator working on my older (and smaller) $190 … thing

Here’s your $35 phone

Here’s your $15 plan

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/749338020565483613/905924047735521330/Screenshot_20211104-155722.jpg

If you can’t afford this but a $15 wow sub something wrong

5 Likes

Or in the past

What, you guys don’t have Smart phones?

3 Likes

An easy fix would be to port the app to the windows/mac playstore. have a desktop version. The 3 people playing wow on a device that isnt a phone or computer can find another game.

You guys are at some point just gonna have to join this century.

8 Likes

I give credit to anyone who doesn’t have a smart phone these days. They can be incredibly handy but also ruinous piece of technology.

3 Likes

Even if you don’t have it? I didn’t play for 6 years and reacquiring my account just took using the lost password process via email.

I don’t know how many people remember where they wrote down their credentials for a website they haven’t used in 6 years, but I would imagine it’s small. And if I understand correctly recovering an account locked with authenticator will require having the serial number of the fob or a recovery password you got however many years ago when you set up the authenticator.

The only people that need this are people handing over their credentials to leveling services or using their WoW credentials on shady websites.

3 Likes

That’s a good idea. I would rather it not be necessary, but I think it’s an excellent compromise.

It’s 2021. You need a smartphone for literally day to day life in the modern era. Making concessions to luddites will just hold the world back.

Choosing not to partake in a modern convenience (like the Amish) is a choice, and those choices lock you out of some conveniences.

You might as well ask for fast moving sidewalks so you don’t need a car. Its a ludicrous request.

4 Likes

Then get with the modern times and get a smart phone. Also who the frick has active landlines anymore? My mother does but she’s deep in her 50’s and there hasn’t been an active landline phone for years. She refuses to give the line up and it’s just baked into for whatever plan for like $5 a year or something. The nice thing about it is that I can still use it to give a number to people I don’t want to have it with 0 fear that it can be sold or spam called or anything.

Also I’d be fine with a new physical authenticator. I still have mine and is the one attached to my account but I’m under no illusion that battery is going to last forever and I really should swap it out for the mobile one before it comes down to needing to do it.

1 Like

No, they’re not. If you want to use their stuff you need a smart phone. If they were going to do that they would have mentioned it in all the news releases.

if they make cute ones id buy it
but i usually lost my authenicators cuz i moved 247 as a kid mao

Oh they work, if you have one. I got mine back in Burning Crusade and was using it until a couple months ago.

It still works even now. I just wanted to switch because I’m afraid the battery might die, one of these years.

How does this stop anyone from doing M+? You don’t require an authenticator to sign up to a group, heck, from what I’ve read, you don’t need one to create an M+ group, just to edit two of the fields manually.

I still have one that I don’t use anymore, somewhere around here :wink: